lukealike

New player, having problems on an Alienware laptop

Hello,

I found this game through Frankie's videos, anyway I do love the idea of this game and have downloaded it. On dayZ I have had a few problems.

I'm normally a console gamer so I don't know that much about PC gaming so excuse my ignorance.

I understand this game is still in Alpha and will have faults of its own, I am just hoping you guys could maybe help me out and recommend what I can do to alleviate some of my problems and get the game running as good as it can on my comp, thank you in advance for any help you can give.

My issues:

• Whenever I close the game I get an error (I will edit this post with that error code later, I think its my graphics card crashing or something some code like 000000000x or something)
  • Start up of the game is slower then I would have expected.
  • I cannot play more than two hours with out a DC, even though my internet doesn't go down.
  • It can be pretty choppy / laggy at times.
  • Main menu buttons are not that responsive. They work, just half the time they don't seem to register that I have clicked them, despite them pulsing red.

My computer (6 months old):

Alienware 13,

Intel® Core i5-4210U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.70 GHz)

8GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz (2 x 4G)

1TB (5.400 Rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5

Windows 8.1 (64Bit)

My internet:

4G Home broadband with vodafone 

Speedtest just now at peak times:

Ping: 164MS

Dnld: 11MB

Upld: 5MB

(Late at night it will hit up to 25mb download.)

The game will run on max settings, I have also reduced them to to see if any increase in performance but not much change. I don't have fraps yet,should I get it? This comp doesn't have much on it and really should still be like new, and everything is updated. No im not an alienware fan boy, yes I know its a waste of money, and yes this laptop really is cheap and nasty and wont be getting another. At least im glad I didn't pay 3K for a top range one...

Once all that's sorted I can finally get down to being a noob :)

Edited by lukealike

I understand this game is still in Alpha and will have faults of its own, I am just hoping you guys could maybe help me out and recommend what I can do to alleviate some of my problems and get the game running as good as it can on my comp, thank you in advance for any help you can give.

My issues:

• Whenever I close the game I get an error (I will edit this post with that error code later, I think its my graphics card crashing or something some code like 000000000x or something)
  • I have the same error code everyime I close the game as does everyone I know and I hae seen a lot of threads asking the same question, I would say it is nothing to worry about currently and will probably go away in a future build.
  • Start up of the game is slower then I would have expected.
  • I cannot play more than two hours with out a DC, even though my internet doesn't go down.
  • It is possible that the servers you are playing on have 2 hour restart timers, some server titles will have the restart schedule in them so keep an eye out for that.
  • It can be pretty choppy / laggy at times.
  • DayZ can be very choppy in the cities or build up areas, I will post a link at teh bottom to another thread on teh forum which will hopefully help a bit but in its current state even high end systems can struggle at times and again hopefully it will be sorted in future builds.
  • Main menu buttons are not that responsive. They work, just half the time they don't seem to register that I have clicked them, despite them pulsing red.
  • I dont really have an answer for this one, hopefully someone else may be able to suggest something.

I don't have fraps yet,should I get it?

Hey Luke,

welcome to DayZ!

Performance help thread below

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/224710-performance-issues/

• Like 2

^^This :beans:

For the main menu the only two things I can think of is you're running a lot of processes in the background or if you're using a mousepad on the laptop I know I've had games with issues registering clicks by tapping it or if using wireless maybe the sensor is too far away or low battery. But if those unlikely things don't apply, I haven't seen or heard of anyone with such issues. Strange one to me alright.