Sign in to follow this  
wagner (DayZ)

make this game really hardcore

make permadeath, well.. permanent. when you spawn freshly you've got 20 minutes to get your shit together. if you die after that period, game over. really over. no more dayz for you.

to soften this there could also be a 24 hr ban if you died. could be a nice business model too. buy the game with 5 lives for 30 bucks. if you lost your five lives, buy new ones.

then this game would again be about survival and not farming airfields to get that last NVG for your mates.

/troll

The game is already hardcore enough in that if you die, you lose everything.

Adding the burden of knowing you'll have to pay if you die will take away a large part of the game. Having 20 minutes at the start to 'get your shit together' would make the coast an even bigger deathmatch than it already is rather than improving survival, you aren't going to try and work with someone who could potentially backstab you and cost you money, not to mention trolls coming down to wreak havoc on newly spawned players.

Leave the starting/death mechanics as they are, except for maybe adding a 15 minute timer between respawns.

I give it 8/10, if only because it looks serious enough that people will actually respond to flame the living hell out of the OP's "idea". Heck, they won't even read far enough to see the first few posts pointing-out the troll. ;P

I hope your kidding. Rocket does want to make a standalone game, but cashing in on extra lives? what the fuck. Thats just as bad as Team Fortress 2, with their fucking hat bullshit.

I could picture the really good bandits extorting people for real money.

"Hey noob, wire $5 to my paypal now or pay $15 for a new life; your choice."

I could picture the really good bandits extorting people for real money.

"Hey noob' date=' wire $5 to my paypal now or pay $15 for a new life; your choice."

[/quote']

That would be freaking epic. Maybe even make it so your Paypal is linked directly to your in-game character so that the mark doesn't even have to tab-out to do it. I could even see some trolls specifically camping the outskirts of Cherno (like they already do) and keeping tabs on how much money they've cost other players total, then comparing their results with other bandits for results.

I will say this, though; It's a hell of a great fix for people spawn jumping. Sure it'd be convenient to start-out near the rest of my group, but it'll get expensive, and fast, for something that would only save me about an hour's running time.

/troll

The game is already hardcore enough in that if you die' date=' you lose everything.

Adding the burden of knowing you'll have to pay if you die will take away a large part of the game. Having 20 minutes at the start to 'get your shit together' would make the coast an even bigger deathmatch than it already is rather than improving survival, you aren't going to try and work with someone who could potentially backstab you and cost you money, not to mention trolls coming down to wreak havoc on newly spawned players.

Leave the starting/death mechanics as they are, except for maybe adding a 15 minute timer between respawns.

[/quote']

not trolling, just thinking outside the box. maybe provoking other ideas how to enhance the survival aspect of the game.

dying doesn't mean much when you got infinite lives and all you gotta do is to run to your team or to a tent to re-equip.

i got more crazy ideas but i'll keep them for myself for now ;)

/troll

The game is already hardcore enough in that if you die' date=' you lose everything.

[/quote']

not trolling, just thinking outside the box. maybe provoking other ideas how to enhance the survival aspect of the game.

dying doesn't mean much when you got infinite lives and all you gotta do is to run to your team or to a tent to re-equip.

I guess if you're being serious, you're being serious, but making people pay for lives is the kind of terrible idea that gives "freemium" games a bad rap. Even something like "One spawn per day" would be too much, since it would provoke people (specifically, griefers) to camp the beaches just so they can lawl about all the people they shut down for the day by taking away their "one spawn".

/troll

[/quote']

I guess if you're being serious, you're being serious, but making people pay for lives is the kind of terrible idea that gives "freemium" games a bad rap. Even something like "One spawn per day" would be too much, since it would provoke people (specifically, griefers) to camp the beaches just so they can lawl about all the people they shut down for the day by taking away their "one spawn".

don't you think it might lead to less griefers since they actually got something to lose too?

and it wouldn't be pay to win since you gain no extras whatsover for paying. you just pay for your own mistakes ;)

it might not be the greatest idea ever but do you think the penalty for dying is severe enough right now? after all "permadeath" is one of the most hailed features of dayz.

It's permanent enough. Nothing is more frustrating than losing a backpack full of food and a good weapon because you got shot on your way north.

Charging people money for lives is just dumb, and you'd end up with maybe 100 people worldwide who were willing to shell out the serious coin required to play that type of game.

The lockout on respawns would encourage griefers because they'd be shooting at unarmed chars. Add in a 24 hour lockout along with charging 30 bucks for 5 lives and you'd end up with snipers every 40 meters in the tree line headshotting anyone stupid enough to play your proposed game. Then we'd all come here and read all the bandits lawling the day away at the amount of noobs they cheated out of hard-earned money and time.

don't you think it might lead to less griefers since they actually got something to lose too?

Not necissarily. The bandits would group-up into bands so that there's less risk of them being attacked; and even if they get killed every now and then, so what? In that one life he was able to kill 10 or more people. He'd gladly pay for another life knowing that he'll probably cost other people 10x or more money total on lives that they barely get to use when him and his buddies are cruising up and down the beaches killing anything that has ping.

Eventually it'd just be them left over, because it isn't worth paying for a life when you know that it'll be a miracle just to survive long enough to get in-land away from the gankers, let alone how long you'll survive if you meet other players.

Ironically it may increase player cooperation in the game, and add an incentive NOT to betray other players. You need someone to watch your back, and they need you. It's no-longer a case of trying to live longer than the other guys - it's a case of avoiding death completely.

But then, the game would become utterly boring, everyone will run away from each other and the sound of gunshots!

It might stop the murder victims coming back, and adding to the psychotic mass of shoot-first-talk-later players, but on balance, it's probably a bad idea.

How about instead: Bohemia sell an electric shock kit, shoot someone and they really feel a kick?