Sign in to follow this  
DustyTrv

New Player, Think Something Fishy But... Radio?

Ok, I'm a noob, I'm just starting to figure this game out, and I'm not a hundred percent sure of what is and isn't legit. The other problem? I can't remember the name of the server I was on, because it took me forever to find a server that didn't have me waiting forever with a black screen and the message, waiting for character to create. However...

Here's the story. I was wandering around in the outskirts of one of the smaller towns with the barns out in the middle of nowhere... you know the ones, two lofts with a total of three floors, sometimes zombies spawn on the top or behind the crates on the bottom floor.

Anyway, I'm sneaking in here, and I hear the telltale sound of flies buzzing. There's a body on the bottom floor, some luckless sucker who's got the standard fresh fish loadout. I kill the couple of zombies inside, then notice a second body with just the feet sticking out of a hayloft. I open his inventory, and about shat myself.

He had NVGs, Binos, a rangefinder, a GPS unit, a map, a compass, a watch, basically every piece of good tool salvage but a hatchet and a box of matches. The thing that's fishy is this... he was using a Lee Enfield and an M1911 Colt, and a radio.

Yes, a radio. At first I was like, what the heck? I grabbed it, took a look at it, there's no little description of the item like the other stuff when you look at it in your inventory, it doesn't actually seem to do anything. I didn't really think anything of it, but then later I looked on the DayZ wiki and there was no mention of a radio on any of the loot lists. I've looked around the forums about radios and there seems to be some confusion as to whether it's legit or not, like, there's a post that says someone found one on a soldier body, and there are some people basically saying that it's not legit. The thing is, usually when someone mentions the radio as cheat loot, they mention it with some ridiculously bad ass weapons too, and this guy had nothing I couldn't find just popping in and out of farms and the like. Hell, I've actually reached the point where I'll use hatchets over Lee Enfields because the things make too much damned noise.

I don't know what's up. I have a sneaking suspicion that this isn't legit, because the gear this guy had was phenomenal, stuff I couldn't even begin to get my hands on, but he was using basically starter weapons, stuff that I HAVE seen and used. The funny part is I found a Czech 550 with a single clip as a loot spawn in the same barn, so...

I don't want to lose all this cool stuff, but at the same time, I don't want to cheat either.

Edit: Also I forgot to mention, he was using the basic 8 slot coyote pack you start with.

I smell script kiddies. BAAAH

Or he could be a noob that picked up haxors gear, etc.

He could of got lucky with equip but not weps haha

Although it sounds extremely suspicious, I'd say you should keep the gear and consider yourself lucky. We're still in the alpha testing, so when fate smiles on you, don't turn you back on her. I'd say go for the equipment and enjoy it.

Of the gear you found, obviously the most useful will be the NVG.

Do a search on this forum for info pertaining to the radio... It's quite interesting... Something about Green Mountain... I'll leave the rest to you.

Enjoy your swag as long as you can and remember that nothing lasts forever.

Cheers

Believe me, I know it. I try not to get too pissed off when eveything I've built up goes away after one error of judgement. I guess I'm past that stage where losing all of my progress can make me rage quit the game altogether. Finding the crap is half the fun, after all.

I appreciate everyones responses. I haven't noticed any weird static or anything, but then, I've only had the radio for a few hours, so maybe I just haven't noticed yet. Again, thanks everyone.