Sign in to follow this  
rtrooler

Beware of Chicago 84

Was all good, no lag, then I see in the group chat:

"YOU ALL DEAD"

Everyone on the server falls off a cliff and dies.

Lost everything :(

Server admin needs to check his logs for script lines that include the following:

_v setVehicleInit "[this] spawn BIS_Effects_AirDestruction";

02.07.2012 19:12:33: (name deleted) (IP deleted) (GUID Deleted) - #13 xos, _yos, _zos, _rid];

keywords that follow this: svr, sleep timer, targeting of script to individual players, and or targeted to geographical location (the whole map)

I have avoided using the whole script, this is an extract from a script that spawns an A10 that crashes into the targeted player, or all players. Victims appear to fall off a cliff, and if individuals are targeted, those around them can see a wrecked A10.

There are legit scripting in logs from time to time that involve the words "Air Destruction" that happen when a person blows up a vehicle, but you should see this in the logs for however many people were killed in a very short span of time in the logs, or one command that appears to give a grid coordinate that ends up being the whole map.

This exact same thing happened to the aussie server that i was in today. Lost alot of goodies :/

This stuff has escalated with the game's popularity. The vast majority of vehicles you see on servers are hacked.

It takes this much code to spawn a working helo next to an ammo box with full kit inside.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The amount of code that goes into killing everyone on a server is about this long.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And a retarded 14 year old with a Jr. High Visual Basic Class under his belt can do this with a little research and a helmet.

This stuff has escalated with the game's popularity. The vast majority of vehicles you see on servers are hacked.

It takes this much code to spawn a working helo next to an ammo box with full kit inside.

The amount of code that goes into killing everyone on a server is about this long.

And a retarded 14 year old with a Jr. High Visual Basic Class under his belt can do this with a little research and a helmet.

Wow.. that's so stupid and ridiculous.

I guess the DayZ servers were just not prepared for this sort of mass attack?

Hope it gets resolved soon, I lost so many goodies!

Wow.. that's so stupid and ridiculous.

I guess the DayZ servers were just not prepared for this sort of mass attack?

Hope it gets resolved soon' date=' I lost so many goodies!

[/quote']

The recent DDOS of the hive server is probably not related to the increase in in-game hacking, though alot of the scripts do get leaked from the same sort of people...if thats what you meant by mass attacks. Thats more of a server security issue that isn't specifically related to Arma or Day Z.

As far as in-game hacking...the game was an experimental mod based on a largely no longer supported game that turned into a sensation. All games where the servers aren't controlled by the developers and all information stored server side is rampantly hacked. Example being counter-strike. People want their service to be perfect because the game is so enjoyable, and because companies like Blizzard have standardized a certain level of customer support, server reliability ect. (I'm not talking about their India based phone support btw..which is horrible) As consumers we are use to a higher level of polish and support. However we aren't consuming a finished product we are consuming an experimental drug that won't be FDA approved for at least a year...and might actually give us cancer. So people need to adjust their expectations or just be dissapointed.

So yes, the game wasn't, isn't, and won't be ready...not until its a stand-alone game with tightly controlled, or entirely developer controlled servers. I think Rocket recently said that only 15% of Day Z servers are actually in the limited control of him and his staff. ^.^