Sign in to follow this  
tkgwheeler

Your thoughts on players logging out when SHTF?

Mine:

Can't stand it! Scummy.

Suggestion: Players carry a bedroll by default. In order to leave the server safely they must find a safe spot (distance from zeds) and spend 10-30 seconds to prepare their log out spot.

This would probably rely on a way of determining that the player left of their own accord as opposed to server issues or connection issues.

Consequences:

Players that log out when in immediate danger suffer high penalties - loss of gear (imagine if their loot was dropped where they left :P) damage and even death if they are already in a bad way!

Could there even be a way of differentiating the three main causes of log outs; Being shot at by a player, damaged by a zed or aggro of a horde?

I know there are already some features in place to combat this problem but it doesn't seem to have had much of an impact in my opinion. I've even be in groups of friends who jumped ship the moment we aggro'd some zeds. I ended up running for a few kms with a pack after me because i couldn't bring myself to leave for what i feel is a scummy, cheating reason.

Rather have it as a safe log out, only penalty would be to remain in the world for 1-2 minutes without a safelog out ....

That would be quite interesting. The thought of your defenceless character sitting their for a while would surely put plenty of people off logging out in front of some hungry zeds or bean stealing bandits :P

I had not even thought about the fact that some people would actually log off a server to avoid being shot :(

A really safe spot or a logg off delay as you say would may be a good to counter that.

Yeah mate it is really annoying. I appreciate that everyone wants to survive but logging out at the first sign of danger is just mega mega lame.

I really get annoyed at those that log off to avoid zombie hordes after they aggro them. Just doesn't feel right to me and right now it is far too easy to do it.

Players that log out when in immediate danger suffer high penalties - loss of gear (imagine if their loot was dropped where they left :P) damage and even death if they are already in a bad way!

how about a permaban? imo that would be quite fine

Problem I see is how do you detect and therefore punish correctly, a disconnect due to a zombie chase or an issue caused by lag or server/client crash.

You could just use the timer save that occurs every XD seconds, however if someone gets killed he could then log out and have a save that was X seconds old and therefore not die.

What is very possible is an action in the menu that allows a player to log out, this could run code that disables the user input for a few seconds, so no key commands are accepted (Command ref "DisableUserInput" and then using a server admin code, kick the player off the server

If the player logs out using this method, then his equipment is saved

If he just disconnects, the database reverts his equipment to the starter gear.

same problem still occurs though, how to detect a server or client crash

The waiting in a spot for about a minute when you log out would be the best option, this way people can't really alt f4 because they would bleed out, this would also not punish people who crash and have to close the game that way.

I really like the bedroll idea. It's got a really nice, naturalistic feel to it, and the animation wouldn't be hard to nick from the "making fire" one. I think fifteen seconds would probably be enough time though. You should also only be able to log out in the places where you're able to make a fire. It would stop server scrolling for loot through the back room of NWAF barracks, or people sealing off a building with barbed wire only to have someone server scroll into the top floor and circumvent their defences.

If there is a way for the server to know that the player either a) used the alt+f4 command or b) moved to the briefing room prior to disconnecting from the server that would separate intentional disconnects from crashes etc, no??

Then using that knowledge they can punish those that don't use the "bedroll/ log out action" and give exception to those that have suffered an unintended disconnect.

I was also thinking along the lines of the "making fire" action Delicious, it makes sense in terms of what is already there and fits with the overall survivalist vibe.