Sign in to follow this  
HamTheBacon

The Item Switch Bug and YOU

Alright so i have seen many people who have had this happen, me included, i want to see just how many people have had this happen to them and if there is a connection between us, here is my story.

The first time this happened, i had just learned the ins and outs of the inventory system on dayz, first day in i had found a ALICE pack, i was so happy, finding out from the friend who got me onto this game that i found the second or third best backpack in the game.

Well shortly after i met up with this friend, and he showed me to Balota airfield, we walked around until we found some weapons, he gave me the G17 (he calls it the loyaly pistol, if you can kill 10 zombies with it without hitting him or another friend of ours, you can use any gun in the game) never really understood that, but moving on, after awhile i found a AK74 Kobra with 1 clip, i was extatic, first real gun ever, i equipped it, and went around killing stuff, soon after i found a remmington shotgun with flashlight, but didnt want to drop my gun so my friend told me to put it in my backpack and showed me how, a little later and about 20 zombie kills later i had to leave, so i found a safe place and logged off, came back and my kobra was gone and in its place was a different gun, not the AKM but the other ak gun that uses STANAG ammo.

i ignored it for awhile, until about a week and a half later, when i started learning about toolbelt items, i managed to find a map, a compass, a watch, ect until i found a gps, so i put my map in my backpack and put the gps on me, i still have the gps, but after i logged off and back on, the map was gone as well as everything else in my backpack, seems as soon as i put a map or compass or what have you, everything just falls into a black hole of death never to be seen again.

I lost a map and a pair of night vision goggles so far from the mystery of the backpack black hole.

Then the second to last time, probably the one that pissed me off the most, i had been searching around for 3 days, didnt find a thing i could use, so i left the server and went to another server, little did i know it wasnt up to date so connecting to it i found the server empty, no zombies but it had items, and i walked around a little bit and ran into a person, apperently he was item farming on non up to date servers to avoid death, after killing him, one shot to the head with a lee enfield, i looked on his corpse, he had another pair of night vision goggles, and a number of other items i still use to this day, a silenced M9 with 4 clips of ammo, and the prize of the bunch, a M4A3 CCO with 6 clips of STANAG SD ammo, but i made the mistake of putting it in my backpack, server hopped to a server that was up to date, everything was still there, but the M4A3 CCO had become a AKM and the ammo because AKM clips, i was angry but kept going, kept item hunting hoping for a breakthrough, and got crazy lucky, i ran into a DMR, spawned in the chernegorsk medical tents, i replaced it with the akm, bad move, and went along my very merry way, until i got swarmed by a group of zombies chasing 2 players, i had my lee enfield out, shot one but some of the zombies arched off the main group and after me, so i ran for it, picked them off as i went with the silenced M9, and went back for the body, nothing on him i wanted, so i left the server and spent the rest of the day doing other things, came back and lo and behold my DMR had turned into a M24. Which i still have now, and altho it doesnt have crap on a DMR its still a sniper, and its still moderately useful.

It seems to me if you put something in your backpack from a corpse, it switches to something else, or if you mix guns and toolbelt items in a backpack, it just dumps them into the endless void of unfinished code that Dayz is.

Im not expecting to get my guns back, but for the love of god i hope these bugs get fixed, thats the only thing putting me off from playing the game. What about you? how has this bug affected your gameplay?

I had a similar experience a few days ago. I found a bunch of bodies with backpacks and gear, so I was mixing and matching grabbing from them. I took a pack directly off of one of the bodies, and emptied its contents into another bodies pack, while pulling out the items I wanted.

In the end I got a bunch of gear on me and an alice pack with a good handful of stuff in it. Lots of med supplies, a tent, and bunch of food. I found a safe place and logged out for a few hours. Later that night I rejoined and noticed my backpack was empty.

I've been having this problem too. The last two backpacks I've gotten off bodies. The first one had an M16 and a Makarov in it, as well as a few blood bags and a clip of 30Rnd AK ammo. I would get rid of the guns and put whatever in them, but when I would come back on later the M16 and Makarov would be back, replacing everything I'd put in the backpack.

Second time, dude had a M1911 in the backpack, and a bunch of junk. I replaced it with med supplies because I was going to heal some dude who needed morphine. Halfway there we switch servers since he was having problems on the one I was on. I get into the new server and the M1911 and junk is all back in the backpack. Only had one morphine, which I thankfully got to him, only to break my leg not even 2 minutes later!

Hopefully they're aware of this. Probably should post it in the bug report forums.

I have posted it in the bug forum, the moderator who has to check every post there apperently didnt see this as a big concern, thankfully this hasnt happened to me since last time and i hope i have found a way around the cause, the newest problem is this:

i have the large cyote backpack, and i have a gun some ammo and some supplies, if i put another gun into the backpack, everything but 3 clips of the ammo i already had in the backpack just disapears, so i literally have to make space in my outer backpack, put the ammo into this backpack 1 at a time, drop that ammo on the ground, put my gun into the backpack and take the gun im dropping out, drop the gun put my gun back, put the new gun and any ammo into the backpack and then rearrange everything back to the way it was, i wish this would get fixed soon, its really annoying when it takes 5 solid minutes to do 20 seconds worth of rearranging while in hostile territory.

I didnt know you could dupe items, and the only items that ever change are ones i take off bodies so who knows what people are doing.

I also figured out if you open your inventory to take an item off the ground, open your backpack and put a gun from the ground into your backpack replacing a gun thats already in the backpack, the gun and ammo in the backpack that is replaced disapears.

Heres the trick people before you log always "save" your backpack move something from within your backpack to your main inventory (a bandage, food literally anything) then move it back to your backpack then log out. It will always save all of your items 100% of the time.

It seems to me if you put something in your backpack from a corpse' date=' it switches to something else, or if you mix guns and toolbelt items in a backpack, it just dumps them into the endless void of unfinished code that Dayz is.

[/quote']

actually not, if there is not enough space somewhere and things disappear from your inventory, they will clutter around on the floor a few meters around you.

i just yesterday found out about that. so check your vicinity if you lost something.

It seems to me if you put something in your backpack from a corpse' date=' it switches to something else, or if you mix guns and toolbelt items in a backpack, it just dumps them into the endless void of unfinished code that Dayz is.

[/quote']

actually not, if there is not enough space somewhere and things disappear from your inventory, they will clutter around on the floor a few meters around you.

i just yesterday found out about that. so check your vicinity if you lost something.

This is true. If you place something in your backpack without enough room it should create a lootpile near you with the items that are dropped. This might be a bit glitchy though (pile being created on the other side of a wall/inside a slope?)

To the original poster:

I've never had this happen to me, luckily. I have, however, encountered plenty of other situations where you can/will lose gear. These are mostly fixed with some inventory mumbojumbo though.

This is true. If you place something in your backpack without enough room it should create a lootpile near you with the items that are dropped. This might be a bit glitchy though (pile being created on the other side of a wall/inside a slope?)

The problem is, its not a lootpile being created, the items will spread around you within up to several meters. If this happens in high grass its close to impossible to recover lost items.