Sign in to follow this  
Condork

Specs - FPS - Please read.

Okay so I'm getting a lot of FPS issues at the moment.

I think my specs are rather good, besides my old GFX card but still powerful enough to play this game judging by the recommended.

8Gig of Ram.

9800 GTX+ (GFX)

AMD Phenom II x4 840 > Quad core 3.2GHZ

I'm having huge FPS issues, 30max'ish at the moment, regardless of graphics settings, highest or lowest.

I'm looking into overclocking at the moment to play this game more smooth.

I have friends who have mid-low range cards with less power then mine getting way more FPS with CPU's around the same as mine.

Windows 7 OS to.

Thanks for reading, help would be appreciated.

Low fps on decent rigs is due to the game's poor optimisation, ensure that you're video memory in game is set to 'default' not low, med, high etc...

Also, turning shadows to max can help optimise and in some cases, running your 3d res at one higher than native can increase performance. Look for arma 2 optimisation guides on google for further tips

I've tried a good few tweaks and a lot of video options.

My rig itself is kept nice and clean, not much CPU usage, no processors running that don't need to be.

One question that may help me out, is the game more GPU heavy or CPU?

Will try the higher 3d res then native, haven't tried that yet.

8GB RAM

AMD phenom II X6 1055T six core processor on 2.8ghz/3.0

Gainward 640GT 2gb

I'm running around 30-40, in forest and town areas 25-35, if I'm far up north maybe around 50. It's running very weird imo but I can live with it...

Okay so I'm getting a lot of FPS issues at the moment.

I think my specs are rather good' date=' besides my old GFX card but still powerful enough to play this game judging by the recommended.

8Gig of Ram.

9800 GTX+ (GFX)

AMD Phenom II x4 840 > Quad core 3.2GHZ

I'm having huge FPS issues, 30max'ish at the moment, regardless of graphics settings, highest or lowest.

I'm looking into overclocking at the moment to play this game more smooth.

I have friends who have mid-low range cards with less power then mine getting way more FPS with CPU's around the same as mine.

Windows 7 OS to.

Thanks for reading, help would be appreciated.

[/quote']

that 9800gtx is probably holding you back. im not sure about x4 840 but it should handle the game. try running something like afterburner or playclaw to monitor cpu and gpu utilization then look for which part is suffering and overclock it.

It's the optimization of the mod that is causing FPS issues, not graphic or other settings.

Might as well set everything to high and at least have the game looking fancy.

Don't wish to disrespect your hardware, but the 9800 GTX+ was released in 2008. That makes it nearly 4 yours old. In my book, a graphical card has out lived it's use after 3 years.

I use my computer on a daily basis and play a decent amount of games, I know I'm clocking a great many hours on it. See your GPU as a light bulb, at some point it will start to flicker. To me that flickering is a great tell signs its nearly burned up. The performance issues your seeing with an old game where the graphical card should have no issues with at all, I consider this to be the flickering of a light bulb.

I fear your beating a dead horse.

I'm using a GTX285, according to the Nvidia performance chart, its twice as strong and on average I'm getting about 40~50fps out of the game. With AA disabled and nearly all settings running on normal. I'll be replacing it the moment I see a great deal for a 680 card

Oké my opinion set aside.

Things worth testing,

Nvidia profiles, make sure the game is in control and you are not forcing things on or off through the Nvidia game profile manager. (Just so you can get an accurate base line for testing)

Do a in game benchmark and fool around with your video settings and see what increase/decrease your FPS.

The Arma 2 CO beta patch also installs a batch file called "_runA2CO_beta.cmd" it force the game to use two CPU cores and a set amount of threads. Start the game through the batch file and see if performance improves. (this starts only ArmA II, no DayZ mod)

Test video performance in ArmA II with out the DayZ mod.

If you get similar performance problems, I'm pretty sure we can rule that the DayZ mod is causing problems.

Are you getting lots of stuttering as you move around, or objects/textures popping up/flashing?

Due to the way in which Arma 2 streams data as you play, it hammers your hard drive with read/write requests.

If you have a non-SSD hard drive, this could be the bottleneck. If you an SSD drive then I guess it must be CPU/GPU related.

If you've not already, disable POST PROCESS effects under video options.

----------------------

Don't wish to disrespect your hardware, but the 9800 GTX+ was released in 2008. That makes it nearly 4 yours old. In my book, a graphical card has out lived it's use after 3 years.

---------------------

The recommended is an 8800GT, an older card then mine, I play games that require more graphical power then Day Z at much higher settings and frames per second, there are people out there with 580's that are getting 15-30 FPS.

I've tried tweaking a lot of settings in the Nvidia control panel and stuff I will try to tweak even more once the games up.

Just changed more settings in the profile .cfg file.

Thank you all for the reply's I will give it a few more try's then try overclocking.

FPS in this mod is mostly down to poor optimisation server side.

In game DayZ I might get 40 fps at best (15 or less on bad servers - yes it is that server specific!!) but in the core game Arma2 is get solid 60fps with vsync and the same settings (I always use vsync).

In other words, chill and enjoy this alpha mod, warts and all.

S!

I think the most performance issues are because of DayZ. Arma runs smooth on my rig, but at times you can see how the performance drops in DayZ as more people login to a server and more zeds spawn etc. Will try that post process tip though to see if it helps for online.

I think the Arma2 engine is different from other games. The fps thing isnt as important. For example, I play the game with mostly normal settings but on large hi res monitor. It runs smooth, even when spinning fast. But fraps reports an average 20 fps. Weird? Don't worry about numbers too much - if it is playable, that's all you want.

Strange, I just tried something there on singplayer.

The video setting I had it on default with a solid 58 FPS.

I put it to very high, it stayed on 58 FPS.

I put it to low and got 72 FPS average.

Why is everyone telling me to keep it on default so it uses all my video RAM and shtuff?

Strange' date=' I just tried something there on singplayer.

The video setting I had it on default with a solid 58 FPS.

I put it to very high, it stayed on 58 FPS.

I put it to low and got 72 FPS average.

Why is everyone telling me to keep it on default so it uses all my video RAM and shtuff?

[/quote']

Because it's not Arma 2's fault that this issue is occurring. It's DayZ Mod. No hardware upgrade/change will fix this. The only thing that can fix this is the Devs. Sure some tweaks here and there can be helpful. But in the end, It aint going to be 60fps all the time.

I agree with a few other posters here..the 9800 is probably your biggest bottleneck. Back when ARMA was released i struggled with a 7900gs x2 sli system , top of the range board etc , i upgraded to a 9800gtx+ ..awesome card at the time and it was brilliant for Crysis maxed out but still struggled with ARMA.

Few years later i ditched the 9800 for a GTX460 and voila , ARMA ran wonderfully. Currently running a GT560TI and have no issues at all on a mid range rig. i5 @ 3.33 , 4g ram on win7 32. with everything maxed including vis at 10000.

Dont spend all day looking at fps crap, if it runs smooth and plays fine whats the worry if your under 60 fps ??