Fussgangerzone

How to penalise banditry without breaking realism.

Like a lot of people, I find the amount of pvp in the game these days to be a bit of farce. Sure, people could kill you in a real-life zombie outbreak, but these these DayZ Chernarus is like a prison dreamt up by George Carlin ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmJ2snsLxWw )

The problem, of course, is the question of how do you balance this behaviour without breaking realism.

Well, you do it it my making things more realistic. In a real situation, the number of humans in an area isn't a constant which is constantly repopulated, it's finite. If you shoot someone, there are less people around to shoot. Reality wouldn't provide an infinite supply of human targets. So how do we implement this in a way that's fair to everybody? You can't cap a server, that's not fair.

My idea is that we use a players murder count as a server handicap.

Example:

I murder ten folk, that's fine, all very DayZ.

The next time I want to play DayZ, I have a server handicap of 10.

This means I can only join a server with 10 free spaces.

It might fill up more after that and that's fine.

But I can no longer join servers with less than ten free spaces, because that's not the Chernarus I left behind. I left behind a Chaernarus that was missing 10 people.

What do people think of that? Fair? Realistic?

Nope, broken. It's a struggle to find a server with even one free space, and besides, punishing PvP is not the answer.

The answer is rewarding cooperation.

It's a struggle to find a server with even one free space

I'm surprised by that' date=' I haven't had that problem in over a month.

...punishing PvP is not the answer...

It's not an explicit punishment though, it's simply reflecting that their character exists in a world with less survivors, as a result of their actions.

but what if you kill in self defense? then you would be penalized for defending yourself

That's one thing i don't like about it. I think that was the only flaw with the bandit skin at least imo

This sounds to me like you are trying to combat PvP with game mechanics other than with your own means, what is in your own control / contribution. This is far from the sandbox design.

I can understand frustration in being killed, but I believe the sandbox nature of this mod to be the greatest point of interest and excitement. Diminishing any aspect of this would only diminish the mod as a whole.

Just my .02 on using game mechanics to punish players that play a certain way, but completely within the games design, which bandit play is.

As for this suggestion, no offense, but it is a very poor idea and very telling about your viewpoint. No one should have to explain why killing players would require you to play on servers that have X player slots is beyond flawed. Where X slot servers may or may not even be available.

Ridiculous.

"Penalties" for banditry should be player created - go out and kill some bandits!

Ridiculous.

"Penalties" for banditry should be player created - go out and kill some bandits!

Couldn't agree more.