Sign in to follow this  
ezdaroth

Different location-based VOIP types, servers without chat.

While Day Z is probably the most immersive zombie game I've ever played, there's one thing which takes away from the experience.

The chat.

It's hard to feel lost and alone when you can instantly communicate with everyone. It also often results in random discussion, whining about deaths and so on.

I'm not saying the chat should be removed, but I think it should be a server-side setting, so some servers could go for more authentic experience.

What I'm suggesting is two different location-based VOIP types. Talking and shouting. Both have limited range, but shouting travels far, zombies can hear it and it would include some range-based echo filter when you hear it, so you can tell the guy isn't right next to you.

Another great feature would be to introduce some sort of radio and/or walkie-talkies as loot, which would allow long range communication.

This would add a lot of depth to the game and make communication more realistic. Shouting would always be risky, but sometimes you have to call for help, shout if the guy in the barn is friendly etc.

Now using Teamspeak/Ventrilo/Mumble would give an advantage in setting like this, but most of the people, including me, don't use them and I personally wouldn't mind it. I also believe many members of the community would see VOIP software as cheating on such servers and wouldn't use them.

I don't know if the engine is capable of this, but I just wanted to throw the thought out here. Do you think relying on location-based VOIP would make Day Z a more authentic experience, or would it be just annoying?

I sort of got scared when I saw this suggestion, becue my brother had suggested the exact same thing to me the other day.. I think it'd be anawesome suggestion though.

I agree. My preference would be VoIP only without any text. Direct only, unless radios get introduced to allow ranged comms. Would be great if zombies alerted to shouting or loud talking based on volume. Possibly having rare items like radios with throat mics for silent comms. Don't want to know when other players connect or disconnect in the side. This would vastly improve immersion...

Not sure how easy (or even if possible) to implement but that's my ideal situation.

agreed - the current chat system doesn't work. i'd like to see global chat removed completely along with VOIP. as you said we'd just have local chat instead.

I would absolutely be in favor of this. The current chat system is a hold-over from Arma 2, and really shouldn't exist at all in this mod. It should be possible to get on a server and not have to deal with the constant chat-spam (both from the server, as well as people talking).

A solid, working alternative would be necessary first though. For example a 'Talk' and 'Yell' Channel, where the only difference is the range in which other people could hear you. Talk at maybe 10 meters while yell would work up to 100 feet or so.

A solid' date=' working alternative would be necessary first though. For example a 'Talk' and 'Yell' Channel, where the only difference is the range in which other people could hear you. Talk at maybe 10 meters while yell would work up to 100 feet or so.[/quote']

True.

I believe 100 feet would be way too short for yells, but once the mechanic is implemented, tuning the range is very simple.

While I'd rather let servers disable text chat completely, it could also be changed to use the same sort of channels for text, so people who don't have microphones could also enjoy the new setting. The chat wouldn't be spammy anyway if the range was restricted.

With current system it's just silly when people ask if someone walking on a road is a friend or foe and receive 10 responses from everywhere around the map. Limited range would instantly fix it.

Does anyone have a clue if ARMA already supports limited VOIP range, or if it can even be implemented in a mod?

Does anyone have a clue if ARMA already supports limited VOIP range' date=' or if it can even be implemented in a mod?

[/quote']

ACRE does a perfect job, but it's over Teamspeak. I'm sure it works ingame aswell though.

The ingame voip can either be turned off or on in the server configs. It would require an engine edit to do anything else such as limit it to direct chat.

The ingame chat channels cannot be turned off and would require an engine edit.

The other alternative, "ACRE" although its very immersive, especially when playing the milsim side of this game does add an extra level of difficulty and comes with other complications such as everyone would need to be on the same teamspeak server. Maybe the hardcore (Veteran) servers could utilise this and turn ingame voip off but its not 100% of a solution, far from it.

If you were to somehow turn the chat channels off (May be possible to edit the dialogue so that the text and chat are colourless although I doubt it, how would you then help out newcomers to the game who don't have a microphone and know nothing of Teamspeak ?

The ingame chat channels are engine based, and as this is a mod is likely to be out of Rockets capability

The ingame voip can either be turned off or on in the server configs. It would require an engine edit to do anything else such as limit it to direct chat.

The ingame chat channels cannot be turned off and would require an engine edit.

The other alternative' date=' "ACRE" although its very immersive, especially when playing the milsim side of this game does add an extra level of difficulty and comes with other complications such as everyone would need to be on the same teamspeak server. Maybe the hardcore (Veteran) servers could utilise this and turn ingame voip off but its not 100% of a solution, far from it.

If you were to somehow turn the chat channels off (May be possible to edit the dialogue so that the text and chat are colourless although I doubt it, how would you then help out newcomers to the game who don't have a microphone and know nothing of Teamspeak ?

The ingame chat channels are engine based, and as this is a mod is likely to be out of Rockets capability[/quote']

Damn, that's a shame.

I read BIA is helping Rocket with the mod, but I doubt they are going to tweak the engine for that.

Hopefully ARMA 3 won't have so static communication options and Day Z for that could be more authentic.

Rocket mentioned in an interview they intend to disable global chat once direct is fixed.

"And certainly, once the direct chat gets fixed, which is a very high priority, we’ll be able to turn off the global chat. And so, the immersion will be increased by an order of magnitude."

source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/16/day-z-interview-how-zombies-arma-2-created-gamings-best-story-machine/2/

Rocket mentioned in an interview they intend to disable global chat once direct is fixed.

"And certainly' date=' once the direct chat gets fixed, which is a very high priority, we’ll be able to turn off the global chat. And so, the immersion will be increased by an order of magnitude."

source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/16/day-z-interview-how-zombies-arma-2-created-gamings-best-story-machine/2/

[/quote']

Fantastic! Thanks for the info.