WolfgangErikson

15 apples a day keep the doctor away...

On a serious note... maybe something other than calories could be used to determine a food items viability to provide sustenance. The abysmal ability for apples to satiate hunger in this game is borderline ridiculous.

Also, thank you Devs for finally working out the spawning mechanics on private servers. I can now actually find other food items that can actually sustain life.

Edited by WolfgangErikson
  • Like 1

I just wish the fruit that's available was actually on the tree not some RNG chance of you getting a 'successful pick' but an actual growing-ripe-rotting cycle. the whole spamming an option on a bush or tree over and over for 30 mins is just as stupid as the old walking side-ways around zombies in a circle while punching.

• Like 2

I just wish the fruit that's available was actually on the tree not some RNG chance of you getting a 'successful pick' but an actual growing-ripe-rotting cycle. the whole spamming an option on a bush or tree over and over for 30 mins is just as stupid as the old walking side-ways around zombies in a circle while punching.

Pretty much as I had just said elsewhere.

There should be some other means of making apple picking a challenge other than being a pure time sink.

Whether they rot in my bag, possibly ruin a 'slot' for a certain amount of time

Make me sick after a certain amount of apples eaten/per minutes

Maybe picking or holding apple attracts more Zombies

Maybe a % for injury with some trees, creating a risk of this choice of meal depending on circumstance

I don't know, anything, but I would rather be able to get the fruit in the first place and deal with the consequence later.

There should be some other means of making apple picking a challenge other than being a pure time sink.

Maybe a % for injury with some trees, creating a risk of this choice of meal depending on circumstance

I don't know, anything, but I would rather be able to get the fruit in the first place and deal with the consequence later.

"what you see is what you get". that's how dayZ needs to be. As we move more and more towards a survival sim where simply keeping our character alive becomes the focal challenge, I should be able to LOOK at a tree and see it has fruit or not. closer examination required to determine state of said fruit. I don't want these stupid RNG elements that you can't scope out an area and make a survival base decision on rather it's worth it like you would in a real survival situation. EG if i seen a tree covered in fruit i may consider using a long sitck/pole/ladder etc to attempt to get some fruit. if however i see nothing or very little on a tree thats in a zed infested town, probably not worth the risk/time. keep moving.

Seeing apples and interacting with them directly would be a big improvement. Then again, I keep thinking about how difficult it will be to actually get my crosshair onto an apple and interact with it.

Seeing apples and interacting with them directly would be a big improvement. Then again, I keep thinking about how difficult it will be to actually get my crosshair onto an apple and interact with it.

hmmm, do you mean the 'wobbly crosshair' mechanic, or 'align the X and Y dots to center'?

haha, I didn't think of that, not a bad idea, but also not seemingly very DayZ-like.

I agree that it could possibly end up more frustrating after time, like searching rocks. I am really curious to see what happens to that type of game mechanic as it develops, whether it becomes deliberately hard to pick a normally accessible item, or whether we are to use a little imagination and suppose that there was a 'certain' perfect size and shape stone (or apple) that we were looking for and reject anything but the best.

I was saying this on another thread, what we have now is lots of apples trees but few apples. It should be the other way around, we should have few apple trees but lots of apples. The idea of only one apple being on a tree is silly, if you've ever had an apple tree in your back yard then you'll know that they produce hundreds and so should the ones in game.

Right now there is an apple orchard in most towns. What we need is to only have 3 or 4 orchards on the entire map with hundreds of apples in each. Then those few orchards will be high loot zones like military bases that will attract players. Picking apples will be a good way of getting food but will be very dangerous. If you want to eat apples then you better be sneaky or at least bring some serious fire power.