Sign in to follow this  
Jonah_Hobbes

Don't let crafting destroy this game

I love how hard the Z's are and I'm cool with the lack of food, but....

I've read in some disbelief how some folk on here are getting a kick out of gardening, fishing or making a stone knife because it so "real man","It's a survival sim dude, check out my rabbit skin underpants" etc.

DayZ is a post-apocalyptic game with zombies. Yeah I know people jump up and down and say infected but we all know that they are basically zombies. See the name DayZeee and look at the logo.

I don't want a game where I have to plant seeds and sh*t. I have a garden in real life with vegetables in it it's very boring. I don't have zombies trying to break in my house and eat my brains in real life. See the difference?

If you force people into a crafting game just so some people think they are HC or something, (it's a game ffs) then it's going to get dull very quickly.

What makes this game and made the mod great was strong, fast zombies and psycho kos players, not going fishing ffs. This is Survival (yes I've got that) horror game not farmville.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes
  • Like 2

If you don't like it don't do it.

So I have to give up a game because some of you lot want to play Captain Caveman?

So I have to give up a game because some of you lot want to play Captain Caveman?

Calm down.

There should be room for both types of gameplay when the thing's finished. You may have to give up for a month or so if you don't like the current balance, but you can be sure that the current balance isn't permanent.

Everything else you want is still there, survival, KOS.

If you don't like farming don't farm.

• Like 2

You're going to get a lot of hate for this post, so I'm just going to point out the good points you've noted, since I'm sure everyone else will just point out the bad and tell you to go play Call of Duty.

The mod had it's days, and for me those days ended when everyone became obsessed over Epoch (which is basically a better version of wasteland with zombies.)

Epoch ruined the mod in my opinion, because it took all of the post-apocalyptic survival "holy shit the world has ended" feel to it and turned it into a battlefield.

Your good points:

-strong fast zombies

The Standalone tries it's best to cater to the wants and needs of it's massive community.

However, you can't please 3 million people all at once. Someone will always be unhappy.

Edited by mullraugh
  • Like 4

Okay, so your main issue is with the farming and scavenging in this game? I don't think you realize that it is an open world, you arent FORCED to do anything. So stop your bitching, if you don't like some options that the game offers then don't use them its that simple.

• Like 4

There's room for both in the end, so relax.

The survival, PvE, and PvP elements aren't going anywhere - in fact all of them will be expanded on as development goes on. However, as all of them become more complex and difficult, you'll need alternative methods of acquiring food, water, meds, weapons, and gear, than just looting.

Farming allows for people who plan to build bases and establish interesting communities create a sustainable food source, but it's not turning the game into some peaceful farming sim - these places are just as vulnerable as everywhere else (if not more than.) Rampaging bandits, thieves, murderers, cannibals, and every 'bad guy' on the map will want to take a bite out of these communities, as they're full of people and gear to kill and steal (not necessarily in that order.) Hungry hordes of zombies for miles will be drawn there like insects - with all of those people, loud noises, and bright lights there, why wouldn't they? Eventually even the wandering bears, wolves, and other predators will become curious and travel to these places trying to investigate what lay inside. And at the same time you allow for positive interaction - people can bed down and make safe shelters, come together to trade and converse, and provide defenses against the aforementioned horrors of the world of Chernarus.

It just makes it more interesting in the end, because you'll have a dangerous and intriguing world with circumstances that feel unique and fun to play every time. To me the endless running to the nearest military base/town and coming out with an assault rifle (or some high tier weapons), a substantial amount of ammunition, and plenty of other essential goods, within only a short time in play and losing all of that gear to mindless deathmatch not long after, only to repeat again and again, sucks. It was slightly interesting at first when we hadn't experienced the Standalone yet, but it's been well over a year now; that constant playstyle went stale and rotted away long ago.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think this stuff should go away completely. Intense gunfights where both sides are well equipped and use advanced tactics to beat the odds can be absolutely amazing, if done right and not to the point that every firefight feels like that.

It'd be so much cooler if you had instances where that happened, but they had more depth to it, like per say a squad of bandits who've spent days gearing up with ARs, explosives, tactical gear, and maybe even a few SVDs or VSS rifles, constantly strolling into a nearby community to 'demand tribute', until one day the folks there decide to rally and fight back, causing many casualties on both sides, and to make matters worse (but more interesting); attracting zombies for kilometers on end. That would be a true tale for the survivors to tell. (And all of those who were involved, because in the end it's still a game and you don't forget everything after you've died.)

• Like 3

I've read in some disbelief how some folk on here are getting a kick out of gardening, fishing or making a stone knife because it so "real man","It's a survival sim dude, check out my rabbit skin underpants" etc.

DayZ is a post-apocalyptic game with zombies. Yeah I know people jump up and down and say infected but we all know that they are basically zombies. See the name DayZeee and look at the logo.

I don't want a game where I have to plant seeds and sh*t. I have a garden in real life with vegetables in it it's very boring. I don't have zombies trying to break in my house and eat my brains in real life. See the difference?

If you force people into a crafting game just so some people think they are HC or something, (it's a game ffs) then it's going to get dull very quickly.

What makes this game and made the mod great was strong, fast zombies and psycho kos players, not going fishing ffs. This is Survival (yes I've got that) horror game not farmville.

The idea is provide alternate ways of getting items such as vegetables, clothing etc

You don't have to plant seeds, If you don't want to plant seeds then don't no one has forced this upon you.

As far as I'm aware they have no intention of making you craft everything in game so you can carry on playing without crafting but if you come across all the right items to craft you have that option available and that is exactly how it should be. Why limit play styles? I can't see any good reason not to have features you have complained about.

Suppose I got bored I could try have a character who only survives off the land, This wouldn't make me hardcore like you keep saying it would simply give me different objectives and the more things I can do in a game the less likely I am to get bored.

If all I could do on this game was walk between military bases slaying zombies and people then the game would be far less appealing. I don't want a dull game, I want an exciting game and the more options you put in for people the more likely I am to come across people who use these options which gives a greater variety and prevents the game from becoming dull.

In summary if you don't want to plant things then don't plant things.

You're going to get a lot of hate for this post, so I'm just going to point out the good points you've noted, since I'm sure everyone else will just point out the bad and tell you to go play Call of Duty.

The mod had it's days, and for me those days ended when everyone became obsessed over Epoch (which is basically a better version of wasteland with zombies.)

Epoch ruined the mod in my opinion, because it took all of the post-apocalyptic survival "holy shit the world has ended" feel to it and turned it into a battlefield.

Your good points:

-strong fast zombies

The Standalone tries it's best to cater to the wants and needs of it's massive community.

However, you can't please 3 million people all at once. Someone will always be unhappy.

The new zombies/infected are just complete class I love them. The best since I played the mod. Just great.

Easy answer?

Make the Map Bigger.... Big forests, animals, and a pond or two. 

Makes the Outdoor survival type happy / and gives all the City loving KoS / Hero's a place for glory or death.

Sounds like Mad Max / Z to me..

TuT

Edited by tuthmes
  • Like 1

So you're saying you don't want another version of minecraft? I agree with that. I love minecraft, but that's not why I play dayz. ;)

• Like 2

Step 1: Shoot Fresh-spawns

Step 2: Eat Fresh-spawns

Step 3: ????

Step 4: cry yourself asleep at night because you have no freinds and ate human meat thus giving you a metal instability disease 

Step 5: Commit suicide, and start from step 1

• Like 1

What makes this game and made the mod great was strong, fast zombies and psycho kos players

kos players

You made me laugh I have to admit.

Edited by Tygrys

I've read in some disbelief how some folk on here are getting a kick out of "It's a survival sim dude, check out my rabbit skin underpants" etc.

It is EXACTLY what I am getting my kick out of.

And if you try to ruin my fun I'll introduce you to my old pal Jumping Jack. He's a two barrel shotgun who will say hi not once but twice.

Feel welcome to visit me at my camp on Prud lake anytime.

• Like 1