modex20

crosshair accuracy in 3rd person

This may be more of a general arma2 question.. but basically it seems like the green crosshairs on the screen (not the weapon's optics) are way off.. especially in 3rd person view. And I just wanted to confirm with other players to see if this is the case.

If I pick a spot on the wall with the crosshair and shoot, I will see an impact point below the crosshair. If I don't move the gun, then switch to iron sights, the sights line right up with the impact point. Same with with zombies. If I aim the crosshair at a zombie's head, I'll see the red mist coming out of their abdomen.

I know that in some games, the impact points being painted on the screen are not consistent with where the hits are registering from the server.. so it could just be an illusion.

The x-hairs in third person aren't accurate at close range because the xhairs are set for where the gun is pointed at a range, but the camera is a completely different angle from the gun in third person. So upclose it's really off.. at range it's more accurate, but if you want to be truely accurately use the iron sights.

Granted the iron sights are ideal for accuracy.. but for the sake of pragmatism the crosshairs are quite nice. The eye relief is infinite, and targets are easier to track. This goes especially for zombies that are lag warping up in your face.

EDIT:

The x-hairs in third person aren't accurate at close range because the xhairs are set for where the gun is pointed at a range' date=' but the camera is a completely different angle from the gun in third person. So upclose it's really off.. at range it's more accurate, but if you want to be truely accurately use the iron sights.

[/quote']

Ok so I guess I should just hold high when shooting stuff up close, but can rely more on the crosshairs at range. They are still off by a little, but not that much. In first person, the impact point seems to be not as far below the crosshair.. but it's kind of off to the right.

The x-hairs in third person aren't accurate at close range because the xhairs are set for where the gun is pointed at a range' date=' but the camera is a completely different angle from the gun in third person. So upclose it's really off.. at range it's more accurate, but if you want to be truely accurately use the iron sights.

[/quote']

They're not great, but not too bad either. There are advantages to using them, especially when a zombie horde is pressing in. You just have to make sure the dot is fairly centered and not floating all over the place, the accuracy is pretty good when it's holding steady and you're at close range.

Firing without properly aiming is surprisingly not accurate in real life. The crosshair mainly helps to have a general view of where your gun is pointing. Other than that, I suggest you learn to use the sights on a weapon-just like in real life.