Hetsin

A persistent cache

A simple, but probably unviable, idea. Place a backpack on the ground, select an option to turn it into a cache, the now cache would be linked to your character. This suggestion assumes only one cache per id mainly to save master server bandwidth.

You change servers, the cache follows you into the server where you placed it. You die, it unlinks and turns into a normal object that'll despawn (assuming things despawn) if no one is around to 'refresh' the area. I am aware that you can do this on a server by server basis, but crashes happen and having one 'safe', but lootable place to store things could introduce new player behaviors.

Foreseen implications include home bases with guard detail and scavengers trying to find caches after spotting people without packs.

It give a bit more immersion as well; after all would you go into a zombie infested town with narrow doorways with a backpack full of rattling cans and ammunition or drop the pack outside of town first, preferably in a concealed area?

If this has been suggested already, I apologize, I must have overlooked the thread somewhere. =\

Tents already exist for storing gear' date=' but only exist on the server you placed it on.

[/quote']

I think this specifically is the point of the suggestion though, so that it -is- persistent across servers.

There could easily be conflicts with carrying tents/vehicles across servers. Mainly, think of what happens if you spawn one into another. Also, would it disappear on the server you left? Currently, they stick around. That means when you leave the server someone else can come along and take it. If they didn't stick around, disconnecting would be even more prone to abuse. You could disconnect as soon as somebody said they found a tent, or if you spotted somebody going for your vehicle and you were too far away to stop them. Too cheesy, and too exploitable.