hedgehog90

AMD FX 8350 + Nvidia GeForce GTX760 terrible lag problems

I recently upgraded from a Nvidia 8800GT to a GTX760 and in every game but DayZ, I've noticed a massive performace increase.

In DayZ, I'm limited by my processor. I've tried all sorts to improve performace, but I have a terrible lag problem.

What happens to me is unlike other accounts that I've read regarding the AMD FX8350.

I'll be playing DayZ for a few minutes, and it runs just fine, in towns the frame rate can get a bit choppy, but not much.

I have the video options between normal and high because i read that setting things to Low means more work for the CPU, and my new graphics card can easily handle it... But then it starts... every minute or so, I will go from 30-40fps (estimating) to below 10fps for 2-10 seconds.

When this happens, I've noticed that my processor in the task manager appears to go idle. The cores that are running DayZ will go from 40-60% right down to 10%.

I've tried changing my BIOS setting Cool n Quiet to disabled, but if anything this made it worse.

I've tried changing the cpuCount/exThreads and other things in the program options but this doesn't help either. When I do change the cpuCount and exThreads I've noticed it uses all 8 cores, but it does not appear to improve performance.

Weirdly, since going from 8800GT to GTX760 it's developed this problem which makes it almost unplayable.

Just imagine, every 1-2 minutes it slows to 5 fps. It's unbelievably frustrating, because it's as if my CPU just decides to take a break from all the workload.

The CPU fan doesn't get too loud (although it does noticably spin faster) but the temperature stays pretty safe, so I don't think it's overheating.

I have also changed my PSU in recent weeks but it's the same model as the last, a Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular

Any suggestions?

EDIT - Should also mention that I'm running it from a Samsung SSD and have 16GB RAM

Edited by hedgehog90

I recently upgraded from a Nvidia 8800GT to a GTX760 and in every game but DayZ, I've noticed a massive performace increase.

In DayZ, I'm limited by my processor. I've tried all sorts to improve performace, but I have a terrible lag problem.

What happens to me is unlike other accounts that I've read regarding the AMD FX8350.

I'll be playing DayZ for a few minutes, and it runs just fine, in towns the frame rate can get a bit choppy, but not much.

I have the video options between normal and high because i read that setting things to Low means more work for the CPU, and my new graphics card can easily handle it... But then it starts... every minute or so, I will go from 30-40fps (estimating) to below 10fps for 2-10 seconds.

When this happens, I've noticed that my processor in the task manager appears to go idle. The cores that are running DayZ will go from 40-60% right down to 10%.

I've tried changing my BIOS setting Cool n Quiet to disabled, but if anything this made it worse.

I've tried changing the cpuCount/exThreads and other things in the program options but this doesn't help either. When I do change the cpuCount and exThreads I've noticed it uses all 8 cores, but it does not appear to improve performance.

Weirdly, since going from 8800GT to GTX760 it's developed this problem which makes it almost unplayable.

Just imagine, every 1-2 minutes it slows to 5 fps. It's unbelievably frustrating, because it's as if my CPU just decides to take a break from all the workload.

The CPU fan doesn't get too loud (although it does noticably spin faster) but the temperature stays pretty safe, so I don't think it's overheating.

I have also changed my PSU in recent weeks but it's the same model as the last, a Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular

Any suggestions?

EDIT - Should also mention that I'm running it from a Samsung SSD and have 16GB RAM

Remove all launch options for dayz in steam 

delete this dayz folder C:\Users\Franzuu\Documents\DayZ

the best thing you can do to increase performance is to overclock your CPU.

Intel CPUs are a lot better than AMD. Switching to an intel 4 core no HT will give you a huge performance boost on DayZ, even more if you overclock.

Edited by Franzuu

Remove all launch options for dayz in steam 

delete this dayz folder C:\Users\Franzuu\Documents\DayZ

the best thing you can do to increase performance is to overclock your CPU.

Intel CPUs are a lot better than AMD. Switching to an intel 4 core no HT will give you a huge performance boost on DayZ, even more if you overclock.

lol wow, this AMD bashing over Intel will never vanish from the internet.... your opinion about AMD is at least 10 years old dude,

im just wondering the way you talk you would know your stuff but im surprised you didnt notice his rig is a mix of an AMD cpu

and an nvidia gpu, which is a very bad mix, so im pretty sure you know nothing but keep spreading this myth that AMD is worse than intel,

amd is not worse than intel (anymore), it just depends what you are using it for and how the rest of the rig looks like. my rig is full AMD and im more than happy with it.

to OP:

if you have an AMD cpu you should stick to an AMD gpu by the way, this has always been a thing.

Edited by Axezeroone

If you have Windows 7 make sure you have in the AMD hot fixes installed.

https://teksyndicate.com/forum/cpu/amd-fx-8350-hotfixespatches/131535

Set the launch options, you will have to also play around with settings. Turn off things like post processing.

"Set -cpuCount= 8 -exThreads= 8 -high"

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/28cla2/dayz_sa_frame_optimization_launch_options_fov/

This game runs fine on AMD processors. Tweeking the settings is all that is required. Anyone saying sell your pc and buy a intel is a idiot. Yes the game is optimized for Dual Core Intel's at the moment. But why would you build another gaming rig for a early access game? Especially if you current one is decent fast.  If your Pc is outdated and your playing with the settings turned all the ways down, and your not on a budget then sure go buy a intel. Im not a AMD fanboy, I own both manufactures. I am a I.T. professional however.

Edited by Foolee

lol wow, this AMD bashing over Intel will never vanish from the internet.... your opinion about AMD is at least 10 years old dude,

im just wondering the way you talk you would know your stuff but im surprised you didnt notice his rig is a mix of an AMD cpu

and an nvidia gpu, which is a very bad mix, so im pretty sure you know nothing but keep spreading this myth that AMD is worse than intel,

amd is not worse than intel (anymore), it just depends what you are using it for and how the rest of the rig looks like. my rig is full AMD and im more than happy with it.

to OP:

if you have an AMD cpu you should stick to an AMD gpu by the way, this has always been a thing.

Do not listen to these AMD fools. 10 years ago amd and Intel were neck to neck, if not amd being in the lead. 

You are the one who is stuck 10 years in the past.

AMD is less power efficient than Intel and has worse clock per clock performance. 

I didn't find a perfect benchmark but lets look at these http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/the-intel-haswell-e-cpu-review-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested/5

All CPU's are running at stock clocks.

Lets look at the single threaded ones. 4790K @ 4.4 GHz vs FX-8350 @ 4.2 GHz. I'll normalize the scores to 4.4 GHz

Dolphin Emulation Benchmark: Intel - 100%, AMD 53%

Cinebech R15 Single Threaded benchmark: Intel - 100%, AMD - 55%

3D particle movement single threaded benchmark: Intel - 100%, AMD 52%

With Intel (Haswell) you are going to get almost 200% the single threaded performance of AMD at 70% power use.

AMD doesn't even have the performance per $ going for it. Intel is twice the performance at less than twice the price at 70% operating costs.

FX-8350 is $170 and i7 4790K is $330 (newegg) 

AMD<Intel, no arguing against it.

Do not listen to these AMD fools. 10 years ago amd and Intel were neck to neck, if not amd being in the lead. 

You are the one who is stuck 10 years in the past.

AMD is less power efficient than Intel and has worse clock per clock performance. 

I didn't find a perfect benchmark but lets look at these http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/the-intel-haswell-e-cpu-review-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested/5

All CPU's are running at stock clocks.

Lets look at the single threaded ones. 4790K @ 4.4 GHz vs FX-8350 @ 4.2 GHz. I'll normalize the scores to 4.4 GHz

Dolphin Emulation Benchmark: Intel - 100%, AMD 53%

Cinebech R15 Single Threaded benchmark: Intel - 100%, AMD - 55%

3D particle movement single threaded benchmark: Intel - 100%, AMD 52%

With Intel (Haswell) you are going to get almost 200% the single threaded performance of AMD at 70% power use.

AMD doesn't even have the performance per $ going for it. Intel is twice the performance at less than twice the price at 70% operating costs.

FX-8350 is $170 and i7 4790K is $330 (newegg) 

AMD<Intel, no arguing against it.

http://www.geek.com/chips/why-amd-mhz-dont-equal-intel-mhz-557914/

thanks for listening.

Unless you've done a hell of a lot of research I don't think anyone can outright say Intel CPUs are better than AMD CPUs. I use my PC for all sorts of CPU intensive stuff, it works for me and I'm quite happy I purchased it over a more expensive Intel model, and while it's true that Intel CPUs are better suited to play Day Z, I don't plan to spend every hour on my computer playing Day Z so it's fairly impractical to advise me to get an Intel CPU.

Even for games, I've seen quite a lot of benchmarks that put my processor ahead of many supposedly superior Intel models.

The whole AMD<Intel thing is a myth or a stereotype based on selective results basically.

ANYWAY.

This is very interesting. I did what you said, I deleted my DayZ folder in my documents and reset the program options.

The massive drops in performance every minute or so was gone... I think this might have been caused by running it in windowed mode, I'm not sure why.

With these low to average default settings though, I noticed it had a noticeably worse base frame rate than before, but it was at least playable.

So then, I decided to max out every setting, even antialiasing...

Remarkably, my game now runs smoother than ever, perfectly  even. I haven't been able to test it with a decent sized town or a tower block (which would usually slow my rate down to <20fps) but I'm assuming it will perform just as well.

It appears my processor was doing some unnecessary jobs my GPU should have been doing. Perhaps because the engine it's based on is fairly unoptimized & outdated (or so I've read) it underestimates the capabilities of a modern GPU.

OR SOME SHIT LIKE THAT.

So it would appear everything is fine now, which is great :)

Oh, I should also mention that I changed GPU_MaxFramesAhead and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead to 1. Not sure if this made a difference but it works for me.

Edited by hedgehog90

The link you provided supports my point and proves that you did not read my post.

I wasn't comparing GHz numbers but the computing that those GHz get done. I was normalizing the scores for 4.4 GHz (Intel stock) to give a better idea to how overclocking both will improve things.

Both CPUs OC to about 4.7-4.8 GHz. Hz to Hz Intel is ~190% the performance of AMD. 

If you look at the CPUs at stock speeds then Intel is more than 200% performance of AMD at single threaded and multithreaded operations. With Intel having 4 cores and AMD having 8! cores.

Intel>AMD

Only go with AMD if you need 50% the performance of Intel and don't care about power usage.

Intel i3 4370 costs $10 less than the FX-8350, has BETTER! performance and uses 70 watts less than the AMD.

THERE IS NO REASON TO GO WITH AMD.

Only reason would be is if you do not need the performance, don't care about power usage, aren't going to buy a graphics card and will be playing games where the Intel iGPU won't cut it. 

AMD has a better integrated GPU than Intel. That is it. 

Or if you have an AMD mobo and do not want to buy a new one. Even then you really should just spend the extra $60 for a new low-end motherboard.

The link you provided supports my point and proves that you did not read my post.

I wasn't comparing GHz numbers but the computing that those GHz get done. I was normalizing the scores for 4.4 GHz (Intel stock) to give a better idea to how overclocking both will improve things.

Both CPUs OC to about 4.7-4.8 GHz. Hz to Hz Intel is ~190% the performance of AMD. 

If you look at the CPUs at stock speeds then Intel is more than 200% performance of AMD at single threaded and multithreaded operations. With Intel having 4 cores and AMD having 8! cores.

Intel>AMD

Only go with AMD if you need 50% the performance of Intel and don't care about power usage.

Intel i3 4370 costs $10 less than the FX-8350, has BETTER! performance and uses 70 watts less than the AMD.

THERE IS NO REASON TO GO WITH AMD.

Only reason would be is if you do not need the performance, don't care about power usage, aren't going to buy a graphics card and will be playing games where the Intel iGPU won't cut it. 

AMD has a better integrated GPU than Intel. That is it. 

Or if you have an AMD mobo and do not want to buy a new one. Even then you really should just spend the extra $60 for a new low-end motherboard.

so you really think that 6 years old game engine requires core i5 or i7?? Really? and even "intel master race" has to OC their mighty processors to run this piece of s**t?

FPS problem is in poor optimisation, we have to wait when devs will realize that they are waisted a year doing nothing and start doing something about how game performs.

so you really think that 6 years old game engine requires core i5 or i7?? Really? and even "intel master race" has to OC their mighty processors to run this piece of s**t?

FPS problem is in poor optimisation, we have to wait when devs will realize that they are waisted a year doing nothing and start doing something about how game performs.

Everyone should have an i5 K-series CPU minimum(gamers). People are still using their i5 2500K OC @ 4.5-5.0 GHz (4 years old) because it chews through pretty much every game out there except on certain setups. Everyone who plays games, does video processing or 3D rendering or some other task like that should OC.