j4h

Very low Terrain

So my PC can run everything near max, but i noticed while fiddling around with my settings that very low terrain gets rid of the grass. I'm sure this is common knowledge but what I was wondering is why I don't hear or see people on streams using this to better spot people (mainly ghillied players) laying in the grass. Am I missing something here or is this just not a known thing?

Thought the same, i read somewhere that the terrain detail is set by the server so nobody got an advantage (like view distance which is always set to 1600) but this is obviously not true. I need to try the visibility today at different distances with different detail levels with a mate.

Yeah im pretty sure I read the same thing on armaholic.com after googling about it lol. Would love to know if its true or not.

If its true, then I would be going to the 45-50/50 servers and looking into the hills for people.

if you put terrain detail to low you for sure see nearly no gras (only in your direct sourrounding) if you are looking at an area far away it looks crappy.

Just try it: turn settings to low, go to single player --> Scenarios --> E08: Benchmark

This will Benchmark your fps in different scenes. On hills far away the only thing you see are running soldiers and big things like trees and houses. Looks like hiding in gras only blocks your own view.