Spirit (DayZ)

Will DayZ cost money after Alpha?

Just a quick question, will DayZ cost money after Alpha is completed? I don't want to buy Arma 2: Combined Operations if soon after I have to buy DayZ itself. Meaning, will it stay a free mod? Or become an actual game you have to purchase in the future? I'm sure some of us is wondering this due to the success of the mod.

~Thanks.

after alpha is beta

Yes, I know that. That doesn't answer my simple question though, will it cost money in the future? Please stay on topic.

BIS would have to allow for it, but I don't see why not. But I would imagine a low cost version of CO and Day Z wrapped together (totally blowing smoke out of my ass).

But since we're like 6 months away from ArmA III......

....who knows where BIS wants to let this go.

I don't think this will have a price tag while it's an Arma 2 mod, maybe as an Arma 3 DLC? I'd like to see that and would of course pay for it. It may goto another engine as it's own game too. But I rkn it's far to early to tell.

~Read the fucking existing threads~

Rocket has said it's most likely that if it becomes a full-fledged game it will be a one time purchase.

after alpha is beta

LOL that made me laugh. :p

And, Spirit, to answer your question, I'd say no unless the developers of ArmA 2 grant the developers of DayZ legal permission to make a profit from what's rightfully their game without infringing on copyright territory.

And, frankly, the fact that DayZ is free is why it's becoming so rapidly popular. At the present time, DayZ isn't even accepting donations so that would lead me to assume they do not wish to make a profit from it. But I could be wrong.

I hope we have to pay. I like rewarding original and hard work. I get more enjoyment and hours out of this than any AAA title in the last four years.

Similarly, pay allows full time development and creative freedom for Rocket and co. It also (with good financial management) means a more polished end product.

I hope we have to pay. I like rewarding original and hard work. I get more enjoyment and hours out of this than any AAA title in the last four years.

Similarly' date=' pay allows full time development and creative freedom for Rocket and co. It also (with good financial management) means a more polished end product.

[/quote']

Same here.

I'd rather buy 3 games like this than 99% of the games produced today.

And even if it's not for selling it as a full fledged game, a way to donate would be great

Maybe a Kickstarter ? It would change us from the "i was a great game director, now give me money for a new game not even created" speech.

free or not I'll pay. (one time fee, plz no subscription BS) Maybe even a system like APB? free to play, but pay $ for some extra cool stuff (mainly customization)

Hell with all the players and attention I'm surprised the Dev team doesn't have some sort of Ad Revenue, They'd roll in some $ for it!

People who do mods usually do it for the fun, community and for the game and not because they want to make a profit out of it, I am all for supporting the moders but I would not pay for a mod.

Just look at all the great mods out there PR, ACE, Chern Life,...... have they sold there mods no!!! they accept donations and that is fine but as soon as you pay for a mod it becomes a DLC

(*DLC RAGE MOD ON*and since DLC are just plane retarded and useless it would ruin it* DLC RAGE MOD OFF*).

I dont think we should pay for a mod and I would only play for a standalone game or expanson pack for Arma but it would need enough content to be actually called that.

Rocket has said it's most likely that if it becomes a full-fledged game it will be a one time purchase.

Gosh, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I don't see any sticky about this, chances are search features hardly ever work. Way to make me feel like this has a good community.

Thanks to everybody else though, I do figure if it were to become a purchase it would be one time, but I guess I can only wait and see before I purchase Arma 2.

I dunno about you, but this is the best game ive played in over 15 years. since i started.

the immersion is fantastic (as a mostly solo player, I am personally a little turned off by the zed count. but ill deal.) and I would gladly pay full price for it as DLC or even a full game (with work of course)

I dont understand the reluctance to pay for good quality nowadays.

good things arent cheap.

cheap things arent good.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I like hard work being rewarded..but i personally can't afford nothing but a "Thanks for your hard work"

I have bazillions of hours in ArmA titles but..real life for lots of people becoming more harsh

over years

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I completely agree too, but right now I am not the richest person, and I can't afford to purchase Arma 2: Combined Operations if not soon after I have to purchase the mod itself. I agree though, but right now in my money state, I just can't do it..

Calm down' date=' Oilman. Calm. Breathe. Just asking a question here. No need for Modrage.

Gosh, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I don't see any sticky about this, chances are search features hardly ever work. Way to make me feel like this has a good community.

This.

"Can't we all just get along?" -- Rodney King

:D

That being said, I hope that Rocket does charge a penny or two for the game. As it is today, I would happily donate for no other reason than to see this game progress - no questions asked. I have already received my remuneration for the product, and want to give back.

Rocket, all you gotta do is ask, buddy.

TKJ

Currently against the license. The only way I can see it becoming payware is if BIS buys Rocket out and develops it in-house or works out some sort of licensing deal with him. I'd prefer to see Rocket keep his hands on the project, of course, and would be happy to pay for DayZ were it to come to that.

I''m for purchasing a copy of the game. Or to offer a "donation". If it because a monthly pay to play, it won't fly with many people. Remember, Rocket, although you deserve tons of applause for a great mod - if you turn to the Dark side and seek to milk the population for profit, you've done nothing special.

Remember' date=' Rocket, although you deserve tons of applause for a great mod - if you turn to the Dark side and seek to milk the population for profit, you've done nothing special.[/quote']

I certainly don't believe Rocket's main objective is to make enough money to hire a ball washer.

:D

TKJ

I think that the donated project thing is a good idea, I cant recall the site name

ah! kickstarter.

Why not do a kickstarter for the game Rocket? I know youve thought about it from another thread, but, it cant hurt to set one up, and let people put their money behind their postings. it would also give you a good core group from whom you can listen to regarding feedback etc, since clearly.. they are invested in it being an awesome game.

I think if you put this on kickstarter, you would be surprised at the support generated.