ZombieGrin

Base Defenses ( Document included )

Great idea man! shame rocket never listens too the good ones :(

Thank you :) Any ideas to make it better please include them and if I read them and think it works I will add it to the design Document!

I've read the document, but I don't understand how it will be effective against groups of certain sizes but not others. If it's accurate, surely it would quickly take out a group of any size. If it's not, one person, or two tops could give it the run around

have you though about padlocks that would make doors and cars unenterable to anyone but owner if locked (if unlocked everyone has access), wood planks to baricade windows and some traps. Also it would mark your house as habitated so zombies wont spawn inside but will spawn nearby. If the house had fireplace you could make fire as well to increase your temperature.

You could designate two owners, since most padlocks has two keys.

Also crowbar can remove padlock, as well as fire arm, but hey - its normal. Also if my idea of login places succeeds, then you could save yourself inhouse without any time restriction and if anyone has this house on other server you will spawn right outside ;) ( to prevent ghosting)

Locks and makeshift barricades are a fine idea, very fitting with the feeling of the game... But I maintain that Auto Turrets is... Well... I mean... Is there a term that's worse then: "The worst idea ever"? ;)

Locks and makeshift barricades are a fine idea' date=' very fitting with the feeling of the game... But I maintain that Auto Turrets is... Well... I mean... Is there a term that's worse then: "The worst idea ever"? ;)

[/quote']

thanks i have all my suggestions finally in one thread - feel free to criticise them ;) but warning - long post

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=26813

Locks and makeshift barricades are a fine idea' date=' very fitting with the feeling of the game... But I maintain that Auto Turrets is... Well... I mean... Is there a term that's worse then: "The worst idea ever"? ;)

[/quote']

I like how you can call it the worst idea ever but offer no work around or alternative ideas at all. Worst poster ever. Auto turrets are a great idea and will keep bases safe from server hoppers and random bandits running around the map. Auto turrets are NOT however a sure fire way to keep your gear 100% safe. It will take tactics and skills that a lot of you "This idea sucks" posters probably lack, so no wonder you don't like the idea.

I would think tripwires, bear traps and ieds would be sufficient. Automated turrets would be excessive. It the base has barricades this can funnel people towards any traps or security measures.

I think a lot of the hoppers would stop if people would get a +-100m variation on their location when logging into a new server.

I would think tripwires' date=' bear traps and ieds would be sufficient. Automated turrets would be excessive. It the base has barricades this can funnel people towards any traps or security measures.

I think a lot of the hoppers would stop if people would get a +-100m variation on their location when logging into a new server.

[/quote']

If you log out on a server you need to log back in at that location on that server. If you log out on one server and log in on another you start on the bean coast. If you go back to the server you were on earlier then you are back where you last logged out. None of this move while in a different server shit. It totally makes fences WORTHLESS. Automated turrets are NOT excessive only necessary. IEDs are a terrible idea as they would destroy your own vehicles and belongings and lets not forget about all the assholes planting them along the bean coast to grief new players. Bear traps simply break a leg... now they crawl to your equipment and drive to safety in one of your vehicles. You guys keep suggesting WALLS. Walls are worthless when you can server hop or simply walk up to them and remove them with a toolbox. Stop making such simple minded suggestions to a severely complex issue.

Sorry but it is overkill (IMO) as nicely thought out as it is. I agree that locks, keys, traps etc (as mentioned by mahoney) are a much nicer, more thematically pleasing solution to this problem rather than 'turrets'.

Sorry but it is overkill (IMO) as nicely thought out as it is. I agree that locks' date=' keys, traps etc (as mentioned by mahoney) are a much nicer, more thematically pleasing solution to this problem rather than 'turrets'.

[/quote']

Those ideas help but they do not FIX the problem. If someone finds your vehicle and can waltz up to it and they cant drive off with it they are going to shoot the tires and engine out, blow it up or flatten your tents. You guys have to think past those ideas because honestly they are not good ENOUGH. Traps mean nothing when you can server hop past them ( Which people WILL DO ) so stop suggesting ideas that can be skipped past or taken down without a fight.

I definitely think that you need a way to defend your camps, whether or not your camp gets raided shouldn't be up to whether someone is lucky enough to stumble across it.

I love the idea here.

To be honest, the turrets shouldnt be possible to blow up with normal weapons, you would need a rocket to take them out, and one camp could have 4 turret's at max, and to set one up, you would need 4 sandbags, and the turret parts.

And they could look something like the old comand and conquer turrets.

and could be upgrade 2times after getting built.

Normal: Machinegun aka M249, MK48 mod, all with thermal sight, capable of killing up to 150meters

To destroy these you would need:

-4 nades

-One Rocket

1st Upgrade: Submachine gun for close quarter: effective range 150Meters, grenade launcher/rocket launcher for vehicles effective range: 100 meters

To destroy these you would need:

-8nades

-2 rockets

2nd upgrade: Sub machine gun, grenade/rocket launcher similar to the first upgrade.

However they would also have a one time use sam rocket to take down helicopters, and you would need to reload this rocket each time its fire by using rocket launcher ammo.

-Rocket: Effective range 300meters

To destroy it, would require 4rockets, and they would be immune to grenade damage and gun fire.

These are just suggestions and are pretty borderline crazy i know.

But take head, that this would take alot of time and team effort to maintain.

Im talking repairs needed everyday, a crap ton of parts needed, and for each upgrade you would have to increase the parts needed, or the turret would downgrade again.

Weapons were just a spare of the moment thing and can be adjusted, but i think it's a musthave to have diffrent types of weapons on the turret, depending on what people can have.

Reading a post earlier regarding a generator these could be implemented together, and would truly make things diffrent from what they are now, and teamwork would really benefit people.

As it is now my whole clan have stopped storeing anything in tents besides medical supplies, no point as the trees are to spread out to be worthwhile having a campsite in, you can server hop past "wirefencing and sandbags" bear traps wont change anythin either.

So for the time beeing we have no valid means of keeping a base up and running as servers keep eating our tents aswell, so currently the whole tenting buiseness aren't usefull for anything but luring people to them so we can kill them..

So this whole thread gets a huge + from me.

Well made plan mate, hopeing to see this getting developed further!

-Z

If you log out on a server you need to log back in at that location on that server. If you log out on one server and log in on another you start on the bean coast. If you go back to the server you were on earlier then you are back where you last logged out. None of this move while in a different server shit. It totally makes fences WORTHLESS. Automated turrets are NOT excessive only necessary. IEDs are a terrible idea as they would destroy your own vehicles and belongings and lets not forget about all the assholes planting them along the bean coast to grief new players. Bear traps simply break a leg... now they crawl to your equipment and drive to safety in one of your vehicles. You guys keep suggesting WALLS. Walls are worthless when you can server hop or simply walk up to them and remove them with a toolbox. Stop making such simple minded suggestions to a severely complex issue.

Serverhopper idea... I think this should be up to server owner and not the mod. I mean' date=' I would prefer to have red dot (zombies have white) when someone logs on nearby me. The bean coast might be misused (any idea might be) that - need bandages, spawn on another server, wait for someone else to log in or scout nearby, collect them, heal myself and then return...

Why not to bind player to one server when alive? Why ot make one server- one character principle ? So I believe this should be up to server admins and not modmakers to solve this :)

Every barricade should be removable, with rught equipment or sh*tton of c4. Oh and bear trap should not only brek leg but also make massive bleeding, and have to main point it usually has - to make you static. That is how hunting traps usually works.

Those ideas help but they do not FIX the problem. If someone finds your vehicle and can waltz up to it and they cant drive off with it they are going to shoot the tires and engine out, blow it up or flatten your tents. You guys have to think past those ideas because honestly they are not good ENOUGH. Traps mean nothing when you can server hop past them ( Which people WILL DO ) so stop suggesting ideas that can be skipped past or taken down without a fight.

That is why your main concern should be camouflaging the whole damn place. Baricades and beeping blinking things, as cool as they are, makes the work easier. Grab a rifle or nades, or helicopter and just lay fire until this precious piece of gadget stops like number five.

You should hide your stuff, instead of pointing at it. And if someone finds it, it is much better ho have some car then none. Even with tires broken etc. And that is why this game is so magical - people are as*holes. They use often the logic "if not me then noone" but you may have missed the concept of simulation to want them change or to make them stop. You have to stop them and defend your stuff. Noone else will do it (except your squad maybe). And turrets would be contraproductive, walls would be contraproductive etc. The game needs to deal with more important stuff first, but then... well I believe there will be some submods like where you kit find turrets, anticamp system etc. So everyone might enjoy it. But imagine that someone put the turret on the bean coast... or 20 turrets on the map and someone attacks them at one time. This would probably make server to crash...

Also would the turrets attack zombies? If not, then you ight find yourself in horde and if yes, then they wont last a minute... shooting will warn every sing,e bean collector or bandit in mile radius.

Idea is good, but not as a mod feature, but as a possibility ;)

Why turrets, maybe hire some AI guard (1 per player), which you have to gear up on your own with ammo and gun and heal with your own supplies.

maybe you need xx amount of food and water to spawn one for 12 hours then hes dies. (12h cooldown)

But the problem is how the ai know who is friend and when i need to shoot if there are groups of players.

So I shoot the generator with my AS50 and get the loot for free ? Or is your idea to make it Sniperproof so that you can only raid this base with a rocketlauncher ?

So I shoot the generator with my AS50 and get the loot for free ? Or is your idea to make it Sniperproof so that you can only raid this base with a rocketlauncher ?

If you can land 50 cal sniper shots on the generator or turrets then you can destroy them. So placement of these pieces of equipment in blind spots and hidden from view is also a tactic that needs to be taken into consideration.

Every barricade should be removable' date=' with rught equipment or sh*tton of c4. Oh and bear trap should not only brek leg but also make massive bleeding, and have to main point it usually has - to make you static. That is how hunting traps usually works.

That is why your main concern should be camouflaging the whole damn place. Baricades and beeping blinking things, as cool as they are, makes the work easier. Grab a rifle or nades, or helicopter and just lay fire until this precious piece of gadget stops like number five.

You should hide your stuff, instead of pointing at it. And if someone finds it, it is much better ho have some car then none. Even with tires broken etc. And that is why this game is so magical - people are as*holes. They use often the logic "if not me then noone" but you may have missed the concept of simulation to want them change or to make them stop. You have to stop them and defend your stuff. Noone else will do it (except your squad maybe). And turrets would be contraproductive, walls would be contraproductive etc. The game needs to deal with more important stuff first, but then... well I believe there will be some submods like where you kit find turrets, anticamp system etc. So everyone might enjoy it. But imagine that someone put the turret on the bean coast... or 20 turrets on the map and someone attacks them at one time. This would probably make server to crash...

Also would the turrets attack zombies? If not, then you ight find yourself in horde and if yes, then they wont last a minute... shooting will warn every sing,e bean collector or bandit in mile radius.

[/quote']

Turrets can be told to not attack zombies ( so the electric fence kills them and u save ammo ) Hiding gear is NOT an option. Ever owned a helicopter in DayZ? it is IMPOSSIBLE to hide. Its large, bulky and the map is too small for such a LOUD vehicle. You can hear it from kilometers away so anyone looking for a helicopter needs to only follow the sound of the engine. Stop suggesting "Hiding" it won't work. We need ways to kill and keep people out while players are offline. Hide something, ANYWHERE on the map and given enough time a single bandit WILL find it and take it. Defend your gear with turrets fences and generators and no single bandit will be able to take it. He will need team work from other bandit friends. If you dont like this idea because you dont have friends and you play solo then just stop arguing against it because you are bias against it. All you are doing is suggesting the same stupid stuff we already have in game that DOESNT work worth shit.

I skimmed through the document but I don't like the turrets making a beeping noise. They could instead make a servo whizzing sound when they're moving (scanning field of view).

I skimmed through the document but I don't like the turrets making a beeping noise. They could instead make a servo whizzing sound when they're moving (scanning field of view).

totally an acceptable idea. A noise of some sort though is required so players know of its exsistence before walking into a death trap. Good suggestion

If you can land 50 cal sniper shots on the generator or turrets then you can destroy them. So placement of these pieces of equipment in blind spots and hidden from view is also a tactic that needs to be taken into consideration.

Every barricade should be removable' date=' with rught equipment or sh*tton of c4. Oh and bear trap should not only brek leg but also make massive bleeding, and have to main point it usually has - to make you static. That is how hunting traps usually works.

[/quote']

Turrets can be told to not attack zombies ( so the electric fence kills them and u save ammo ) Hiding gear is NOT an option. Ever owned a helicopter in DayZ? it is IMPOSSIBLE to hide. Its large, bulky and the map is too small for such a LOUD vehicle. You can hear it from kilometers away so anyone looking for a helicopter needs to only follow the sound of the engine. Stop suggesting "Hiding" it won't work. We need ways to kill and keep people out while players are offline. Hide something, ANYWHERE on the map and given enough time a single bandit WILL find it and take it. Defend your gear with turrets fences and generators and no single bandit will be able to take it. He will need team work from other bandit friends. If you dont like this idea because you dont have friends and you play solo then just stop arguing against it because you are bias against it. All you are doing is suggesting the same stupid stuff we already have in game that DOESNT work worth shit.

I know the heli trouble, believe me. And I also found out that heli certainly doesn´t worth the trouble at all (you need skilled pilot, everyone wants to kill you and it runs out of fuel fast like hell). Gear worths the trouble.

As I didn´t point out - heli can be great advantage (if those pilot, fuel and other problems are handled). It is superOP in hands of an asshole as well. The idea of turrets is not crazy, it just doesn´t fit well.

There are NATO weapons and vehicles, because NATO did this kind of stuff to post-soviet countries (google post-soviet nations and check their armies. 7 of 15 has nato arms but soviet ground vehicles).

But lets move on to the logical aspect of the turrets. It is logical you want to defend your property and I get it. But prototype korean turrets in post-war, post-soviet and economically devastated country, just don´t fit. Yeah, they might try them out there but... they would brought like 2-4 of them... chance that they would be still functional would be low. Really low. Every single idiot who has screwdriver and can-do attitude would try to make them work and... probably shortcircuit them.

And the gameplay aspect might get disbalanced. Imagine some asshole putting this turret somewhere, where lot lf people travells, and deploying e turret is possible. Just to gain kills and beans. That´s right, if turrets would be added to game, you might end up hating your own idea.

And exploits? Well... server hoppers will rape them. They grt the idea of turret, find it, serverhop to safe distance with 50 cal or dmr, pew-pew-pew, profit.

I am not opposing you. I want you to see also the negatives, and to reconsider other barricade options. There are people who like your idea, and there are people who don´t like your idea. Best way to make them like your idea (and not force them into it) is to imagine their position. Why don´t they like it?

Just to give you some thoughts - this game is kind of MMO simulation and the universe assumes, that everyone is asshole. And stoping assholes from ruining your fun is impossible task. You give here turrets and you end up killing lost survivors in the best case scenario, and t he worst case... you just make a huge "here is something interesting" sign in form of turret that emits sound and fires at horrible accuracy.

So I still believe in guerrila warfare - traps, camouflage and ton of luck.

[/quote']

I know the heli trouble, believe me. And I also found out that heli certainly doesn´t worth the trouble at all (you need skilled pilot, everyone wants to kill you and it runs out of fuel fast like hell). Gear worths the trouble.

As I didn´t point out - heli can be great advantage (if those pilot, fuel and other problems are handled). It is superOP in hands of an asshole as well. The idea of turrets is not crazy, it just doesn´t fit well.

There are NATO weapons and vehicles, because NATO did this kind of stuff to post-soviet countries (google post-soviet nations and check their armies. 7 of 15 has nato arms but soviet ground vehicles).

But lets move on to the logical aspect of the turrets. It is logical you want to defend your property and I get it. But prototype korean turrets in post-war, post-soviet and economically devastated country, just don´t fit. Yeah, they might try them out there but... they would brought like 2-4 of them... chance that they would be still functional would be low. Really low. Every single idiot who has screwdriver and can-do attitude would try to make them work and... probably shortcircuit them.

And the gameplay aspect might get disbalanced. Imagine some asshole putting this turret somewhere, where lot lf people travells, and deploying e turret is possible. Just to gain kills and beans. That´s right, if turrets would be added to game, you might end up hating your own idea.

And exploits? Well... server hoppers will rape them. They grt the idea of turret, find it, serverhop to safe distance with 50 cal or dmr, pew-pew-pew, profit.

I am not opposing you. I want you to see also the negatives, and to reconsider other barricade options. There are people who like your idea, and there are people who don´t like your idea. Best way to make them like your idea (and not force them into it) is to imagine their position. Why don´t they like it?

Just to give you some thoughts - this game is kind of MMO simulation and the universe assumes, that everyone is asshole. And stoping assholes from ruining your fun is impossible task. You give here turrets and you end up killing lost survivors in the best case scenario, and t he worst case... you just make a huge "here is something interesting" sign in form of turret that emits sound and fires at horrible accuracy.

So I still believe in guerrila warfare - traps, camouflage and ton of luck.

Did you read my post about how turrets would function? You said that people would put them on the bean coast or high traffic areas for griefing which leads me to believe you havent actually read the post all the way through or if you did you missed some very key elements. Turrets need to be near a generator, generators need fuel ( which constantly drains as things are linked to the generator. The more items connected to the generator the faster it draings ) That being said turrets would have a fairly good range to counter the server hoppers if they are placed in decent locations. Putting one in the middle of the airfield obviously isnt a good spot. But putting one in a blind spot around a corner that is obscured from view from other angles is a perfect example of how they would be effective. I wrote my design document with negatives in mind which is why I have many, many counters to each idea I posted. A well thought out design document doesn't just point out one side of the story and that is why there are strengths, weaknesses and obvious holes that can be exploited in the base defenses. It would just take tactics and strategy. Walls do NOTHING. NOTHING. Let me say that again. NOTHING! Here is an experiment. Give me 1 tool box and I will give you 10000000 wire fence kits and tank traps. Without a gun and without help I will break through the defences given enough time. That is why there needs to be ways to KILL people who are attempting to breach your perimeter while you are not there to shoot them yourself. If you are suggestiong walls then you are not thinking about how easy it is to remove tank traps and wire fencing kits or how easy it is to just server hop. General Patton once said that "Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity." The reason he said this is because you can surround it, choke it's supplies and the men inside will fall because of it. This tactic is one of many that could be used to conquer a fortified location. Or how about staking out at the gas locations to prevent any fuel runs? The possibilities are endless. I have NO DOUBT in my mind what so ever that if the defenses I propose were added, that they would be a game changing advancement for those who take the game seriously and those who are casual or goof off gamers won't suffer any penalties because of them.

Rocket already addressed bases.

In hs recent Q&A at Rezzed, he talked about underground bases, that would become instanced.

It's a long way off though. There are more important things to be done.

That aside, this idea in itself is pointless to suggest now. If it were even considered, it would take a lot of work, and plae at the end of the to-do list.

Ps: if you own a gun in real life, I ask you to fire 1 round into it, anywhere. Or a computer.

Please tell me how well it works afterwards. None of this *requiring grenades and rockets to destroy*

Lastly, yea, plant and forget sentry guns exist. But you got to remember the people with access to this stuff are heavily financed and supplied. It takes very specialized equipment an know how to set these things up. You think that by finding a camera, a few PC cards and a gun will be enough to cobble one together?

As for finding prototype weapons lying around, I'm sorry but that made me laugh.

The thought of some military engineers and technicians taking their pet turret out into the wilderness for a picnic and then forgetting it?

I'm sorry, but I can't see a viable option to implement automated weaponry here.

What I'd like to see is further development into camouflage techniques.

Rocket already addressed bases.

In hs recent Q&A at Rezzed, he talked about underground bases, that would become instanced.

It's a long way off though. There are more important things to be done.

That aside, this idea in itself is pointless to suggest now. If it were even considered, it would take a lot of work, and plae at the end of the to-do list.

Ps: if you own a gun in real life, I ask you to fire 1 round into it, anywhere. Or a computer.

Please tell me how well it works afterwards. None of this *requiring grenades and rockets to destroy*

Lastly, yea, plant and forget sentry guns exist. But you got to remember the people with access to this stuff are heavily financed and supplied. It takes very specialized equipment an know how to set these things up. You think that by finding a camera, a few PC cards and a gun will be enough to cobble one together?

As for finding prototype weapons lying around, I'm sorry but that made me laugh.

The thought of some military engineers and technicians taking their pet turret out into the wilderness for a picnic and then forgetting it?

I'm sorry, but I can't see a viable option to implement automated weaponry here.

What I'd like to see is further development into camouflage techniques.

Where did I say prototype weapons laying around in the wilderness? You did not read my design document or you skipped many key elements that I had included to explain WHY there would be such weapons in the game. I said in the design document that the Military Barracks is the only place for the turrets to spawn. Meaning that maybe these weapons were there for military testing before the apocalypse. I love how people form opinions without actually being well informed or educated on a subject. Before you try to reply again, read my design document. And I really mean READ IT. Don't just skip through, see a word you don't like then start posting dumb shit on the forums to talk down about it.

the whole point of viekles is to hide them, if some one finds them someone finds the. IF YOUR FAR ENOF IN THE GAME TO HAVE A HUNDRID VEIKLES, WHAT LOSS IS ONE? YOU CAN JUST RE MAKE THEM IF YOUR REALY THIS FAR IN.