ZombieGrin

Base Defenses ( Document included )

Here is a concept I thought up and wrote out on Base Structures and defenses. http://www.mediafire.com/view/?y1gi86mf5ftag6f The document is rather lengthy but for those of you who enjoy reading new game concepts I think you should enjoy it :) Also if you are interested in more game concept ideas here is another forum post on Survivor Trairs, Weapon Skill and Ammo Crates that I created a while back. http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17556 Happy reading!

DO NOT SUGGEST THAT WALLS ARE ENOUGH ( Bandits can take walls down with a toolbox without a fight )

DO NOT SUGGEST THAT BEAR TRAPS ARE ENOUGH ( Bandits now have broken legs as they steal your tent loot and vehicles )

DO NOT SUGGEST IEDS OR MINES ( Bandits will server hop and go past your mine fields and putting explosives by your tent and vehicles is a stupid idea )

DO NOT SUGGEST KEYS OR LOCKS FOR TENTS AND VEHICLES ( They will just shoot the tires, engine and destroy your tent if they cannot steal it )

• Like 2

The file is only 7b, and that goes to the .rtf extension. Methinks you didn't save/uploaded incorrectly.

Due to a rather unfortunate issue with the upload the file might not be available just yet :) be patient! Sorry for the inconvenience

The file is only 7b' date=' and that goes to the .rtf extension. Methinks you didn't save/uploaded incorrectly.

[/quote']

Fixxed! Sorry about that :) Accidently uploaded the wrong file lol ( been up writing this for awhile and im tired lol )

I liked this so much that I posted it on my blog http://www.dayzpvp.com/dayz-base-defense-concept-by-zombie-grin/

Most of these things should be possible since Project Reality has base-building. This kind of stuff is good fo the game because

#1 it gives clans and groups more things to do, and

#2 it keeps them on the servers to defend/repair their assets.

Also, old assets go away to prevent clutter.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great idea! I love the idea of Sentry Guns that can defend for you when powered, but are able to be destroyed from a distance.

• Like 1

Rocket please read this... We need this. Sentry guns at least. Server hoppers will just swap servers to get past any sort of walls made by sandbags and razor wire

I would love to see this implemented, but... What one man built, an other can destroy. Unmanned defense system wouldn't stand a chance against players unless it is made ridiculously superpowered. Safe = hidden in this game, not that I like it but it is true. Not to mention ways to exploit this. I'd like to see both approaches possible, a hidden base or well defended one. But I'm afraid this is just not possible without breaking the game and making it something else (reinforce timers etc.)

I would love to see this implemented' date=' but... What one man built, an other can destroy. Unmanned defense system wouldn't stand a chance against players unless it is made ridiculously superpowered. Safe = hidden in this game, not that I like it but it is true. Not to mention ways to exploit this. I'd like to see both approaches possible, a hidden base or well defended one. But I'm afraid this is just not possible without breaking the game and making it something else (reinforce timers etc.)

[/quote']

The weapons would be powerful at close range and would need to be placed strategicly. They need to be in the game other wise all those vehicles you and your friends gathered are going to be stolen and theres no way to prevent it. Wire and sandbags mean nothing when you can server hop. If you think about placing these weapons in a blind spot around a corner or in a building there are tons of ways this could be implemented and it would do WONDERS for end game base building clans.

For server hopers exc you could put a code into the server if someone tries to spawn where your base is (location x - x - x ) it says unable to join server due to construction please try another server.

Simple fix.

For server hopers exc you could put a code into the server if someone tries to spawn where your base is (location x - x - x ) it says unable to join server due to construction please try another server.

Simple fix.

It still doesn't help defend your stuff while you are offline. That is a simple fix for spawning but does not stop people from stealing your vehicles and loot while you are away. Automated turrets would help prevent this

It still doesn't help defend your stuff while you are offline. That is a simple fix for spawning but does not stop people from stealing your vehicles and loot while you are away. Automated turrets would help prevent this

Do you really think that your stuff should be impossible to steal? If so, then turrets must be unbeatable, which is something I am strongly against. But in every other way this base would be just an enormous sign with "FREE STUFF" written all over it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just bashing your idea, I would love to have player bases. But for now I have no idea how they should be implemented and your idea unfortunately would not work as intended, despite all the great work you did on the design document, unless defenses are impenetrable which is no way to go also.

Do you really think that your stuff should be impossible to steal? If so' date=' then turrets must be unbeatable, which is something I am strongly against. But in every other way this base would be just an enormous sign with "FREE STUFF" written all over it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just bashing your idea, I would love to have player bases. But for now I have no idea how they should be implemented and your idea unfortunately would not work as intended, despite all the great work you did on the design document, unless defenses are impenetrable which is no way to go also.

[/quote']

The base structures should be strong enough to repell solo and duo bandit attacks and would require a dedicated and organized bandit raid from multiple players to be defeated. This will add "End game" PvP and Raid possibilities as well as that much needed defence when you don't have everyone online. Fixxing a Helicopter only to have some noobie find it and crash it because he doesn't know how to fly it is the most game breaking thing I have ever heard. The map is to small for helicopters and motor pools to be hidden well enough so you NEED to be able to defend your belongings with Auto-turrets. It is the ONLY way to prevent server hoppers and roaming bandits. Taking out a fortified base is TOTALLY suppose to be able to happen, but only after a giant raid and fight!

If the turrets are accurate, they are OP and your stuff is game-breakingly unstealable. If the turrets are not accurate, a player will do laps of your base until it runs out of ammo, then enter your base.

The base structures should be strong enough to repell solo and duo bandit attacks and would require a dedicated and organized bandit raid from multiple players to be defeated. This will add "End game" PvP and Raid possibilities as well as that much needed defence when you don't have everyone online. Fixxing a Helicopter only to have some noobie find it and crash it because he doesn't know how to fly it is the most game breaking thing I have ever heard. The map is to small for helicopters and motor pools to be hidden well enough so you NEED to be able to defend your belongings with Auto-turrets. It is the ONLY way to prevent server hoppers and roaming bandits. Taking out a fortified base is TOTALLY suppose to be able to happen, but only after a giant raid and fight!

How would you suppose an auto turret shoudl work that can kill solos almost certainly but doesnt affect base raids too hard? wouldnt 5 cannons kill 5 raiders? what if it was 4 dudes vs 2 dudes and 3 cannons who should/would win?

Also autocannons near all the spawn points and in every building.

also there are multiple other ONLY ways to prevent server hopping. preventing "hopping" would be one, preventing servers another. ( connect/disconnect-timers ... automatic server assignment ... random spawn locations after logging in (urgh!)) (I explained to you what getting rid of hopping or servers meant, because I dont think you couldve made that leap. Youre welcome)

There is a thread on the forum somewhere about "buriable loot instead of tents" Really smart poster there. Maybe thats our solution here?

The poster was also very attractive btw.

... You guys really think adding automatic, unmanned super gun turrents is REALLY what this game needs?? C'mon now.

I agree that server hopping is awful and should be ferretted out and punished, but I really don't think the addition of Aliens Style Autoturrents is in the spirit of the game.

• Like 4

A turret defended base location would need to be attacked by vehicles, anti-material sniper rifles, rockets, grenades or other high explosives to disable the turrets or disable the generators to shut down the defences. Yes Unmanned, super turrets are what are needed because if these turrets were in game I can think of dozens of ways to counter them but I would need a team to do it ( Which is what the entire point of the post was ) This will provide us with a way to simulate "Sieges" with bandit raids

The base structures should be strong enough to repell solo and duo bandit attacks and would require a dedicated and organized bandit raid from multiple players to be defeated. This will add "End game" PvP and Raid possibilities as well as that much needed defence when you don't have everyone online. Fixxing a Helicopter only to have some noobie find it and crash it because he doesn't know how to fly it is the most game breaking thing I have ever heard. The map is to small for helicopters and motor pools to be hidden well enough so you NEED to be able to defend your belongings with Auto-turrets. It is the ONLY way to prevent server hoppers and roaming bandits. Taking out a fortified base is TOTALLY suppose to be able to happen' date=' but only after a giant raid and fight!

[/quote']

How would you suppose an auto turret shoudl work that can kill solos almost certainly but doesnt affect base raids too hard? wouldnt 5 cannons kill 5 raiders? what if it was 4 dudes vs 2 dudes and 3 cannons who should/would win?

Also autocannons near all the spawn points and in every building.

also there are multiple other ONLY ways to prevent server hopping. preventing "hopping" would be one, preventing servers another. ( connect/disconnect-timers ... automatic server assignment ... random spawn locations after logging in (urgh!)) (I explained to you what getting rid of hopping or servers meant, because I dont think you couldve made that leap. Youre welcome)

There is a thread on the forum somewhere about "buriable loot instead of tents" Really smart poster there. Maybe thats our solution here?

The poster was also very attractive btw.

At this point I am going to assume you have never owned a vehicle in game because you are once again totally missing the point of having turrets once again. WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT PEOPLE WITHOUT BEING IN GAME TO STOP PEOPLE FROM EXPLOITING THE GAMES SERVER MECHANICS TO GET AROUND STATIONARY DEFENCES TO STEAL VEHICLES AND LOOT. Placing defences around vehicles does nothing they will just go inside the defences from a different server or cut them down while everyone is offline without a challenge. If I have a vehicle and a tent I dont want some asshole coming up cutting down my wire and looting my tent and taking my vehicle while I am offline. There needs to be a way to repel these kinds of attackers and that is where Auto turrets will come into play. Also I dont think you read my post at all because these kinds of turrets are extremely rare so having dozens of them in a base wasn't going to be a common occurance. Provide comments to the idea to make it better or don't provide comments at all.

If the turrets are accurate' date=' they are OP and your stuff is game-breakingly unstealable. If the turrets are not accurate, a player will do laps of your base until it runs out of ammo, then enter your base.

[/quote']

The turrets would be VERY accurate and No my stuff would be very stealable ( only if you have a team of people to tactically siege the camp ) The turrets are made to destroy and kill single and duo man teams who attempt some cheesy smash and grab tactic on peoples tents and vehicles.

If the turrets are accurate' date=' they are OP and your stuff is game-breakingly unstealable. If the turrets are not accurate, a player will do laps of your base until it runs out of ammo, then enter your base.

[/quote']

The turrets would be VERY accurate and No my stuff would be very stealable ( only if you have a team of people to tactically siege the camp ) The turrets are made to destroy and kill single and duo man teams who attempt some cheesy smash and grab tactic on peoples tents and vehicles.

I fucking LOVE this idea! I read the entire post and have to say I love it (even though it needs some work, because the ArmA 2 engine may not be advanced enough for this.)

I fucking LOVE this idea! I read the entire post and have to say I love it (even though it needs some work' date=' because the ArmA 2 engine may not be advanced enough for this.)

[/quote']

Thanks I am glad you enjoyed the read :) Like every idea it always can be improved upon so if you have ideas on how to make this concept better please let me know! Also if you liked this document you should check out the Traits, Skill and Ammo Crate idea that is attached in a link in my first post in this thread.

A way to get around auto-turrets or electric fencing ( not including shooting/blowing up defenses ) would be to wait for the generator to run out of gas. They have to come out for gas sometime.

automated turrets is retarded, this is a post apocalyptic game, not Team Fortress2.

even if there was a automated turret, how would it tell friend from foe.

I wouldn't minded m2 that you can put to gather and man it with a person, but not this.

as far as electric fencing goes, the animations in the game are not as smooth as real life, it would be impossible to navigate around them.

• Like 2

automated turrets is retarded' date=' this is a post apocalyptic game, not Team Fortress2.

I wouldn't minded m2 that you can put to gather and man it with a person, but not this.

as far as electric fencing goes, the animations in the game are not as smooth as real life, it would be impossible to navigate around them.

[/quote']

You have not read my post other wise you would know how Friend from Foe would work with turrets. I suggest before you post No on something you go actually read the full post and form a valid opinion based on facts rather than your own bias and ignorant opinions on what you THINK is being discussed. I also enjoy how you say "This is post apocalytpic game not team fortress 2" as if auto turrets are not believable but zombies totally are. Oh by the way if you think it isn't a real weapon http://singularityhub.com/2010/12/16/south-koreas-robot-machine-gun-turret-can-see-you-coming-3-km-away/ now please shut up. And if you have a better opinion to stop people from stealing your vehicles and tent loot while you are offline why don't you put it out there because right now all i see is you saying "No thats retarded" but you actually have nothing else to say.

automated turrets is retarded' date=' this is a post apocalyptic game, not Team Fortress2.

[/quote']

You have not read my post other wise you would know how Friend from Foe would work with turrets. I suggest before you post No on something you go actually read the full post and form a valid opinion based on facts rather than your own bias and ignorant opinions on what you THINK is being discussed. I also enjoy how you say "This is post apocalytpic game not team fortress 2" as if auto turrets are not believable but zombies totally are. Oh by the way if you think it isn't a real weapon http://singularityhub.com/2010/12/16/south-koreas-robot-machine-gun-turret-can-see-you-coming-3-km-away/ now please shut up. And if you have a better opinion to stop people from stealing your vehicles and tent loot while you are offline why don't you put it out there because right now all i see is you saying "No thats retarded" but you actually have nothing else to say.

Sorry, that was out of place. throw as much as I am for more electronics, I can't be for this as it stands.

Half of the people who play don't know their own GUID, how do you expect them to enter a 16+ digit code. Arma gives it to you when you start, but mid game it's kinda hard to get it.

I didn't say they are not real, but they are not going to pop up in a Post apoc soviet union nation.

Even if they did... it's more likely for BTRs, BMP, T90s to show up. There needs to be some balancing, these "auto turrets" will be hard to spot, it will turn in to players placing them into evergreens and AI can see threw trees in Arma2. thus leading to a "invisible" enemy that can easily perma kill players.

There needs to be a lot going against the turret to change my mind. extremely poor accuracy and slow gun rotation. relatively easy to kill. a restricted Arch of fire (can only fire at a 45 degrees angle) to give the attacker a ability to flank.

The placement would have to be like the tents too, how it has to place in a open clear area.

then maybe.

To be honest, the more I think about it the more I like it. But I think it will kill to easy. spec with the perma kill mechanic

Sorry, that was out of place. throw as much as I am for more electronics, I can't be for this as it stands.

Half of the people who play don't know their own GUID, how do you expect them to enter a 16+ digit code. Arma gives it to you when you start, but mid game it's kinda hard to get it.

I didn't say they are not real, but they are not going to pop up in a Post apoc soviet union nation.

Even if they did... it's more likely for BTRs, BMP, T90s to show up. There needs to be some balancing, these "auto turrets" will be hard to spot, it will turn in to players placing them into evergreens and AI can see threw trees in Arma2. thus leading to a "invisible" enemy that can easily perma kill players.

There needs to be a lot going against the turret to change my mind. extremely poor accuracy and slow gun rotation. relatively easy to kill. a restricted Arch of fire (can only fire at a 45 degrees angle) to give the attacker a ability to flank.

The placement would have to be like the tents too, how it has to place in a open clear area.

then maybe.

To be honest, the more I think about it the more I like it. But I think it will kill to easy. spec with the perma kill mechanic

They will have a field of vision NOT a 360 degree so placing them in trees wont work. Secondly they beep and make sound so you might not see them but you will know they are there. Thirdly they will need to be by a generator so if you dont have eyes on the gun you might be able to destroy the generator and shut down the turret, or use smoke grenades to blind it and flank it, or snipe it from distance, or a hundred different ways. Also back to the soviet nation. If this is a Soviet Nation then why see so many American or British weapons? Last I checked North Korea is a lot closer than the US or Britain is so why wouldn't we see some prototype turret weaponry from some of these Asian countries? Japan and China have some of the most advanced technology in the world. Makes sense we might see some of these toys in Russian Military bases