godwine

Zombie Behaviors

Variety is the spice of life, so I've been wondering about different zombie behaviors that could be introduced into gameplay. Currently there are the uniform sprinting zeds, and the slower yet somewhat more difficult to spot Hoppers. Instead of having some noticeable physical change or mutation, these are just simple behavior differences, and it makes sense that not all zombies would act the same since humans respectably are the same way.

These 2 are already a good change of pace, and they require different methods to spot and kill/avoid. However, why not expand on the idea that there are more "unique" zombies with different traits and ways of going about their carnage-intestine ripping day.

-Taking from http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2240 this thread, the OP mentioned a zed that would stare at you previous to attacking, while maintaining a higher perception compared to the other types. This could operate like the Endermen from the game Minecraft, where break in eye contact causes them to move (at Usain Bolt speeds) for the kill. Alternatively, the moment they start staring could signify a timer countdown of 5-10 seconds before they go all out. How to make this type more noticeable compared to the regular zombies, I'm not sure. Taking ideas on that part.

Edit: Zed could be hunched over in a way that suggest prowling or hunting, so arched back, extended digits on the hand to simulate a clawing nature, and bent knees to give ample power to start running. (Butters)

-On the inclusion of melee weapons (or earlier, not sure if melee is even possible/worthwhile), there is another idea for a zed type. Perhaps there could be specimens who have taken the idea of taking pieces of survivors as weapons. I'm thinking they could run around with a leg or arm and beat things mercilessly with it. This could give them a more lethal hit compared to the original zombie, and to balance this they could either be slower or they must have killed a survivor, the latter option meaning they are pretty rare. Since zombies do despawn, I'm not sure about the latter option. As a means of spotting these specific types, the limb they're carrying might be enough, however the texture could be modified to give the look that they flayed and are now wearing their kill (or themselves?).

Edit: The range of his attacks could also be increased to give him extra danger, making killing the only option since sidestepping or backpedaling wouldn't save you. (Butters)

-As a third idea, I'd like to see something that moves much slower but has an increased pain threshold. Noticeable feature could be that they randomly scream loudly, and/or seem bulkier than normal, or a soldier skin with kevlar vest. I'm not that far into this, I might scrap it.

Edit: Zombie moves much slower in comparison, but the screams this type gives causes other zombies to be attracted to it. Screams could give a similar effect to a CZ550 round going off. The screams could either direct the zombies to a target, or the zed could simply cause a posse of zombies to follow it around. (Butters)

-Half an idea: female zombies?

As it stands, humans are the ultimate prey in this game, whereas zombies are more of a nuisance. While I don't disagree that zeds do need to be the party poopers of gunfights, making the zombies a little more exciting and interesting certainly wouldn't hurt.

Thoughts/Discussion, ideas of your own?

Not a bad idea. However Rocket should probably work on other things first.

Not a bad idea. However Rocket should probably work on other things first.

Of course, Alpha is alpha. More important stuff will always take precedent.

However, zombie hunting wore out its fun factor early on for me, and I know I'm not the only one who felt that way.

Sounds fun on paper, the zombies became second best pretty quick.

The fact that they could phase through walls didn't help either :o

-Taking from http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2240 this thread' date=' the OP mentioned a zed that would stare at you previous to attacking, while maintaining a higher perception compared to the other types. This could operate like the Endermen from the game Minecraft, where break in eye contact causes them to move (at Usain Bolt speeds) for the kill. Alternatively, the moment they start staring could signify a timer countdown of 5-10 seconds before they go all out. How to make this type more noticeable compared to the regular zombies, I'm not sure. Taking ideas on that part.[/quote']

Skin or pose or sound would distinguish them.. as things are now, pose would be most effective. could be a ready-to-pounce stance.

a z like this you wouldn't want wandering around all over the place, it would really be unfair- keep him relatively motionless in a field, so it's your excellent perception against his, did you not notice him because he's motionless, or are you more perceptive than the zombie?

On the opposite end, i'd like to see an old man zombie, slower than most but loud- he may never catch you himself, but he can alert other z to come to him (to you, by association) even if you haven't fired a shot.

we have fast zombies, there's nothing wrong with some slow ones, particularly if they are an addition and *not* a substitution.

Adding a melee system seems a lot.. unless youre just talking pick up wrench and hit. past that you end up with new damage styles and what would those be? hit him in the bladder to drain his hydration? instant knockout? ouch.

related- improve reach on a melee *looking* zombie type-- like a z with a steel pipe in hand who can actually hit you over those amazing small tables which block the other zs from doing anything.

Changes included, thanks Butters.

The only problem I have with the melee zeds using pipes or other makeshift weapons is that it lacks the savagery. I guess the zombie might understand using a bone as a club, but it may not understand that a piece of rebar or 2x4 might do the same if not more efficiently, understand what I'm getting at?

this thread has gotten lot of views but no one is talking :P

i think its a good idea :D

it would make the game more scary since u would have topay close attention to these superzombies

thumbs up

The only problem I have with the melee zeds using pipes or other makeshift weapons is that it lacks the savagery. I guess the zombie might understand using a bone as a club' date=' but it may not understand that a piece of rebar or 2x4 might do the same if not more efficiently, understand what I'm getting at?

[/quote']

i was thinking pipe cause they'd potentially be wherever there's a building.

i'm not sure really what you are getting at by savagery- the damage inflicted? or the look of the z? if people have time to examine the z in melee, that zombie should be sacked.

rebar would scare the hell out of me, and i'd expect to see that along the industrial coast or cities, but if this attack is actually a range increase, the wep would be part of the model, and diff weps would mean more zed models.

if the z is going to get smarter and find weps to arm itself, that's a diff thing... i sure can't comment on the ai, i'm not even sure if increased melee range would work, but hey! it would change their behavior.. heh