wasrad

MERGED: Power station/grid

Absolutely not to teams. It will destroy this game. No factions' date=' just survival everyone on its own.

I dislike idea of APCs aswell. I can just imagine this becoming another Battlefield 2. APC crawling trough beaches killing new survivors.

[/quote']

lol roadkill galore... especially since small arms fire does nothing to armor.

=Edit=

Neeevermind, I just noticed that this exact idea has already been suggested here:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2511

Move along, nothing new to see here.

=/Edit=

So some friends and I were discussing all the power lines and power stations that are scattered over Chernarus, when we thought of this idea:

What if you could have a large-scale, long-term player driven event to try to restore power to a city by fixing one of the power stations.

Pros:

• Users already collaborate and work together to fix various vehicles - why not buildings?
  • It would fit well into the mod's 'story', with survivors attempting to re-build society.
  • It would add a big 'wow' factor for when the power is finally switched on (if only temporarily)
  • It would add more expansive 'end game' to the mod. Right now that seems to be getting the Huey and various weapons.

Cons:

• A lot of work for the devs that could probably be better spent on other stuff.
  • Arma 2's engine might not even support swapping out models/textures on the fly, or adding dynamic lighting like this.

Wow, that could add a pretty neat dynamic to maps.

Wow' date=' that could add a pretty neat dynamic to maps.[/quote']

NICE FIND! It would certainly make nighttime gameplay more viable. One further suggestion. Don't make EVERY location have a working powergrid. Still keep some places 'in the dark', or even have places partially lit.

TKJ

Why not have it that you can fix the power-grid for x amount of time before repairs are required? Like the vehicles, you'd require to find stuff.

I think it'd completely kill the night time immersion you get from a pitch black city though if it was on permanently.

Power grids take a huge number of resources and man power to keep running. In an apocalypse scenario the grids would fail fast and not come back up. I would be fine if there were just small gas generators but the main power facilities need to be down.

A Power Grid would be quite the undertaking. But a smaller generator using fuel from a Jerry Can could power a few lights at a specific location. Just have a portable generator and some portable lights set up at the medical tents or have a backup generator that provides power to the lights at the Airstrip, etc.

I also vote for power grid. But make them destructible. And repairable :)

How about area's have failing power? so certain cities have lights that flicker on and off every now and then for mintues at a time? (With lots of sparks, buzzing, etc) It would certainly be simpler to set up.

I think just having some repairable genny's (using jerry cans for power) would be interesting.

Nighttime sucks and they need to lighten it up. Sucks even more for people like me who cant really play during the daytime...... +1 on this idea.

Power grids would be a great addition, and localized gens even more so. However, the issue here is that there are simply not enough enter able buildings to make generators in houses that worthwhile, so I guess each town should have a specific power location.

This would be so sexy. Would be awesome if someone suddenly kills the power and a whole area goes dark :3

this

a good mechanic can bring lot more fun in this, you repair a generator and you protect it, people see the light from far etc, would be cool !

Rocket has already said a while back that this will be in the game, and that you'll be able to turn petrol pumps on and off.

I mean, it's an awesome feature, but I'm not sure it fits with the mod. I thought in this post-apocalyptic state, there wasn't any power on purpose.

actually....the cons are pretty nonexistent because the code is pretty much drag and drop. Ive dropped it into a couple different things in the past and it works like a charm

the engine handles the lighting just fine...well....arma fine anyhow

And as you are crawling in the darkness in the middle of Chernogorsk, some bright mind decided to bring fuel to the power station...

*RUUUUUUN*

I like that idea but only if it can't be maintained on 24/7 and if it's easy enough to sabotage.

Imho generators at safe house - is a must. and ability to repair power grid - only parts of it, maybe (makeshift fuse`s or something, replacing ragged wire, wire smaller sections, which eventually will overheat and burn) tied to real time - good for me.