wasrad

MERGED: Power station/grid

So here are some things I have been thinking about that would add to the game.

1. The ability to use the powerplants and substations. Most of the work has already been done and I am sure loyalguard would be more than willing to help and share his code. This would add on a whole new element to the game and make nighttime a bit more playable....once everything got fixed...and was protected.

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=addons&id=1434

2. The ability to get the train working! Again, most the work has already been done! There is not a lot of track on chenarus and it kind of goes off the map but this would make for some interesting scenarios. www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2vsilkiSWE

3. 1 or 2 artillery pieces. This would be exceptionally useful with all the zombies. Obviously there are several mods already done to implement a decent arty system. Make the parts and ammo rare like with vehicles. With limited amounts of ammo, it would cause the groups that get it built to be very sparing. It would be badass to shell a zed and/or bandit infested town before going in.

4. A couple more military vehicles would be nice. A HMMWV with CROWS would be bad ass...a BMP or bradley would be awesome as well. Also, rebel vehicles like technicals

5. Crafting. See the zarglife mod for examples of this. Have areas what have resources that need to be harvested and certain areas where crafting can be done. Crafting stations would require power to the town that it is located in. Crafting times should also be implemented and maybe even a way of leveling up crafting skills. If you die you lose your crafting skills, so the other players would have to protect their crafters. Crafting stations for certain items should be randomly spawned at the start of each game.

6. Airdrops/strikes/reinforcemnts? See below for each class

7. Maybe have distinct teams? I get that the idea right now is to just kind fo go along with your own story, so to speak...but maybe have a civ team, a bandit team and a military team...and now that I think of it..why not zeds? I guess you could maybe play off of the humanity system with this but to me I think it would be a better idea to just start as whatever team you want to be on. I guess if you did the humanity thing you would have military being high humanity, civs inthe middle and bandits...where else...but in the low humanity scores. Im not too fond of the humanity system in its current state but hey it is an alpha. Each team could have certain pros and cons. Also, I think spawnpoints should be random as they are now so as to keep the 'omg where are my guys and will i make it to them alive' aspect of the game. Im gonna spew some brain diarrhea so bare with me:

Civilians: Can repair civ vehicles, the train, power substation. Can craft medical items, flares, matches, flashlights/batteries. Maybe craft civ weapons like the enfield or revolver. Civs could also have the special ability to revive fallen players of any team. Either way, civs should be able to play an important role to bandits and the military...it is just a matter of who the choose to support. Maybe have the ability to call in a supply drop with parts, food and medical supplies?

Bandits: Can repair bandit-like vehicles like technicals. Can craft items like IEDs, RPGs, AA, opfor weapons like the AKs and their ammo. Maybe have the ability to call in reinforcements? I guess it would be like having anyone whose willing to be teleported to wherever they are being summoned?

Military: Can repair military vehicles, the arty, can see and disarm bandit IEDs, can craft blufor weapons and ammo and gear. Also I think it would be neat to implement a system like island life has where you can arrest and detain people....but I think it might be abused to much. Maybe only have the ability to detain bandits...who could then be broke out of detention...I dunno just an idea. Maybe they could also have the ability to call in an airstrike?

ZEDs: The zed team could have the ability to control the swarms of zombies. Much like the insurgency mod, you could switch between actively spawned swarms. Also, much like insurgency, maybe limit this team to only a few players..like 4-5. You could maybe have the player be a queen-bee of sorts for the zeds and once that queenzed was killed the zeds would just go back to their normal AI routines. One idea that popped into my head...if you are killed/bitten by a zed you would eventually turn into a zed and in turn infect other players. This would require a bit more thought...but then all of this would...hah. Maybe have the zeds be able to craft certain sicknesses or something.

I would like to add that I absolutely hate the player name tags that you can see 500m away. Teams like this would make it so that you can get rid of that built-in wall hack crap without worrying if someone is friend or foe.

and finally..........a sort of 'end game' goal

8. Build/Repair a way the fuck out of chenarus.....but leaving it in a smoldering ruin.....

Have it so that there are certain things that have to be found/crafted and have the crafting time set to several days or even a week of ingame time.

The military could have a nuke that would just obliterate the island. They would have to find and build nuke parts along with farming the necessary resources.

The zeds could have an ultimate z-virus that causes everyone to become part of the zed swarm

The civs could build a passenger airliner or maybe a cure for the z-virus..or something..

the bandits could be working on a chemical weapon of sorts.

oh....strippers. This mod needs more strip clubs damn it!

I would be more than willing to contribute my free time to assisting inthis be it testing, script writing and converting, etc. I work, am in school(just one easy math class this semester) and have a wife and kid so it would only be a few hours a week but hey, rome wasnt built in a week.

Other players ideas that I like that would mix well with these ideas.

Safehouses/forts from NobodieCro: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2502

lol i'm sorry, but the majority of these ideas are really bad. especially #6 (an exit out of the game)..

#3 just pisses me off with the idea of having a BMP active in-game

#3(1) artillery would be derp, because you know it isn't always going to be used on bandits and zeds all lawfully.. i bet the majority of the time people will aim it at elektro, chernogorsk, and balota.

did you realized your listing format is all messed up? like it goes: 1. 2. 3. 3. 4. 6. 5. 6.

lol i'm sorry' date=' but the majority of these ideas are really bad. especially #6 (an exit out of the game)..

#3(1) artillery would be derp, because you know it isn't always going to be used on bandits and zeds all lawfully.. i bet the majority of the time people will aim it at elektro, chernogorsk, and balota.

did you realized your listing format is all messed up? like you it goes: 1. 2. 3. 3. 4. 6. 5. 6.

[/quote']

Thanks for the feedback!

In regard to:

APC's: With limited ammo and gas along with IEDs and AT weapons, I think it would be balanced out. My suggestion would be to only allow 1 per team as it would be just retarded having a bunch roaming around. Being that ammo would be in short supply and/or need a lot of resources for crafting, I think they could work as....well armored personal carriers for raiding towns/protecting substations/crafting stations, etc. but being that they are not exactly hard to repair/craft then they would also be very vulnerable to getting destroyed.

Arty: Well...those are heavily infected towns so Im not sure how that would be 'unlawful'...also....what laws? :) They could also serve as a way to clear the way for an assault team to go hit another teams crafting and power substations. Again...ammo should be very scarce and/or require a lot of time and resources to acquire. In the better mods, moving arty requires a truck to move so that would also have to be repaired/constructed once the arty was found. Until then it would be very vulnerable and even in transit it would be a hot target.

Formatting: Thanks! I keep adding stuff as it comes up in my head so I got a bit lost. Yours could use some work too, though :)

id shoot the fuck out of the coastline with the arty for the lulz

...and that is why the ammo would be very limited/hard to aqquire. Also, with as much space as there is along the coast, odds are that you would just be kicking up dirt and sand. Arty is also very loud too, so you would have all kinds of people coming for you.

still, you can be sure some guy with the M4A1 CCO and nvgs and infinite time on his hands is going to lolbomb the shit out of some towns and cause some major whining and isshoes

...and that is why my idea was bad

Fixed

lol i'm sorry' date=' but the majority of these ideas are really bad. especially #6 (an exit out of the game)..

did you realized your listing format is all messed up? like it goes: 1. 2. 3. 3. 4. 6. 5. 6.

[/quote']

agree

[/quote']

agree

disagree :)

Your ideas are essentially to make everything easier by giving ready access to advanced military hardware, then add a way to end a persistent world game. You honestly don't see the flaws in this, OP?

The more I read the ideas, the more I find wrong. Being able to teleport people to your position and saying it's "calling reinforcements."

lmao

Your ideas are essentially to make everything easier by giving ready access to advanced military hardware' date=' then add a way to end a persistent world game. You honestly don't see the flaws in this, OP?

[/quote']

1. Where do you get 'ready access to advanced military hardware' from anything i typed in as I noted several times the items to repair/craft said hardware would be scarce and very demanding of time and resources.....but I will make it a bit more clear for you....hopefully....

In order to craft an AK and ammo, you need metal

in order to get metal, you have to mine it at a location which would have to be guarded when mining is being done and once that is complete....

....the transport vehicle would have to be protected while in transit to..

...the weapon crafting station which would need an active power grid in the town that it is in which would require that....

...the power station and substations would have to be repaired and and protected...also note that there are several power stations and many more substations in chernarus so it would be a constant fight to keep them up and running....

since crafting takes time, the town that the crafting is being done in, as well as the crafter would have to be protected from zombies and bandits because if the crafter dies then he loses his skill to craft the AK and ammo...

So please elaboate for me how that makes the hardware 'readily available'?

This would give the players in this "persistent" world something to do other than deathmatch along the coast with the occasional raiding of inland towns and camping in the woods.

As far as the endgame content, that too would be a goal that the teams would be fighting for. It would literally take days to get to this point due to the constant fighting for resources and would give a conclusion to the story of zed infected Chernarus.....and whos to say the server would have to restart or the game would have to actually end? It is merely a goal for the teams to focus on...a goal that takes a lot of time and work to get to and come on.....who doesnt like seeing a bunch of zombies getting nuked? I do agree that the leaving the island part is kinda weak so I retract that idea.

I made a diagram for you OP

1. Who says the spawn locations of noobs has to be on the coastline?

2. The scarcity and difficulty in acquiring the resources for everything in the middle column would pretty much keep people from harassing noobs on the coast and instead would direct players to attacking the other teams power stations, bases, etc but hey if a team wants to work for days just to kill a few fresh spawns then that is their prerogative.

Please no teams.

The whole point of this game is that there are no teams, you make your friends and enemies as you go. I can see the appeal, and heck it might break the immersion, but a weapon that temporarily lets you control zombies would be awesome. I know plenty of people that just reinforce an area with wire and chem lights and get some Ak's and snipers around a buildings. Makes them impossible to penetrate (if you are a bandit). Throw some zombies in there and BAM you get a little bit easier entry.

However, this breaks the whole atmosphere and view of the game.

You know, you should probably just make your own mod since you seem to have this all figured out.

All of these 'would have to's' and 'would need to's' really put a downer on lone wolf players, solo players, and players that prefer to be alone or don't have many friends to play with as it is.

This world being persistent is one of the biggest features of this mod, to end it by nuking the whole damned map is dumb, if it got to that point, i'd log out and go to another server that doesn't have the 'nuke sequence activated' and continue playing so i'd avoid getting my gear turned into ash, or log out and wait for it to be done, and log back in.

Please no teams.

The whole point of this game is that there are no teams' date=' you make your friends and enemies as you go. I can see the appeal, and heck it might break the immersion, but a weapon that temporarily lets you control zombies would be awesome. I know plenty of people that just reinforce an area with wire and chem lights and get some Ak's and snipers around a buildings. Makes them impossible to penetrate (if you are a bandit). Throw some zombies in there and BAM you get a little bit easier entry.

However, this breaks the whole atmosphere and view of the game.

[/quote']

I agree and I disagree.

For now it is a fresh, new idea but in the long run it is going to get old and tiresome. Even know, the major cities along the coast are just deathmatch arenas and looking at the big picture, there really is no goal in the game other than to 'survive'.

I like the basic concept of the humanity system but it needs some serious thought and testing put into it to find its real worth. Right now, all it does is change your player model....and thats about it. You can be labeled as a bandit for defending yourself and that just does not make any sense what so ever. I kind of liked it at first but the more I play the more I realize that it just does not work in its current application.

You know' date=' you should probably just make your own mod since you seem to have this all figured out.

All of these 'would have to's' and 'would need to's' really put a downer on lone wolf players, solo players, and players that prefer to be alone or don't have many friends to play with as it is.

This world being persistent is one of the biggest features of this mod, to end it by nuking the whole damned map is dumb, if it got to that point, i'd log out and go to another server that doesn't have the 'nuke sequence activated' and continue playing so i'd avoid getting my gear turned into ash, or log out and wait for it to be done, and log back in.

[/quote']

As I posted above...who says the world has to end? I am merely throwing out long term ideas for the mod and I have actually volunteered my time to applying these ideas.

Nukes/WMDs/etc would obviously not be something that happens in an hour or a day maybe not even a week. Also, if there is a 'nuke sequence activated' alarm....who is to say that there wouldnt be fallout shelters that players could run to?

The game does not have to end when a nuke or chem weapon goes off, it is merely something for the team to work towards so the game isnt just 'spawn, go DM in the town/camp in the woods'

The more I read the ideas' date=' the more I find wrong. Being able to teleport people to your position and saying it's "calling reinforcements."

lmao

[/quote']

Well for one it isnt something that would be readily accessible and two, it was just something i came up with on the fly...a special team ability, if you will for the bandits. Feel free to add some ideas!

yea... no thanks, i'd rather just hop servers than have to try and find a nuke shelter only for someone else to shoot me as i approach it.

edit: btw, I do like the crafting Idea, because finding ammo is hard enough as it is especially considering it is random. but.. everything else.

yea... no thanks' date=' i'd rather just hop servers than have to try and find a nuke shelter only for someone else to shoot me as i approach it.

[/quote']

Well then thats your prerogative. Personally, Im not very fond of the 'nuclear launched detected' idea as it should be a surprise....and again...who says it has to nuke the whole map and not just an enemy town?

These ideas might work better in a different mod as they seem to shift the focus from "post apoc survival" to "Faction wars + zombies". It sound like an entire different game.

With that said, I could entertain the idea of a few more LIGHT vehicles in the game. The other issue with "mining" etc etc is that it takes the focus away from scavenging which is bad.

This is a summary of why I think these ideas would not benefit Dayz.

Factions are bad, the force you to pick who you are and who your friends are before you've started playing. Why is this bad? Not knowing who is who, and as to what their intentions might be is what adds to the paranoia and sense of fear you feel any time you even think someone might be around.

Crafting/Gathering (resources in a fixed location) would take away from the need to continue to wander and explore, which forces you to experience the sense previously mentioned thus driving a more emotional game experience.

Heavy Vehicles/Artillery. Artillery is over the top, its completely useless to the games design currently. Unless there was a roaming hoard of 250+ zombies that moved around the map randomly it servers no purpose. Personal carriers and other armour also serve little purpose as they remove the threat to your life. Making the ammo etc rare changes little in this regard, the object becomes either completely overpowered in the current game.. or borderline useless at all other times. Developer time is better spent else where.

Operable power plants. This is an idea I can work with. It encourages team work between strangers, benefits a community and gives the good guys something to aim for beyond just not getting killed and it lends itself to emergent player driven game play.

The ideas themselves are not bad, but they are simply not suitable for experience the mod wants to create. That said don't stop trying to come up with new ideas, just try to remember what type of experience the game is meant to be.

Well...the mod is an alpha so is there really a fully defined type of experience?

As far as factions go...who is to say that different types of players are forced to work with a specific faction? If you examine the role of civies in my OP, you will see that they are beneficial to both the military and the bandits. Im not really trying to go for 'faction wars' but just giving humanity some purpose other than changing your model. IN fact, a mix of the three human factions would be a deadly combination to the world.

gathering resources: Resources dont have to be fixed like they are in zarglife and could easily be set to randomly populate a bunch of different locations. This wold give some diversity to the game and also something to do other than survive and camp the coast

Arty: as I said before, arty wouldnt be something that is easy to come by and would be like a super special find. Also....uh...have you played 1.5.7 yet? Arty would be great with this many zombies, even if it was just 2-3 HE rounds.

Heavy Vehicles: APCs wold also be a very hard to come by item and would easily be countered by AT weapons/IEDs...they also would be a HOT target for everyone who didnt have one so they would in fact be a major threat to the lives of those within.

I REALLY want power plants/electricity and would be more than willing to contribute my time to getting it done and I am glad others are with this idea as well

These ideas might work better in a different mod as they seem to shift the focus from "post apoc survival" to "Faction wars + zombies". It sound like an entire different game.

With that said' date=' I could entertain the idea of a few more LIGHT vehicles in the game. The other issue with "mining" etc etc is that it takes the focus away from scavenging which is bad.

This is a summary of why I think these ideas would not benefit Dayz.

Factions are bad, the force you to pick who you are and who your friends are before you've started playing. Why is this bad? Not knowing who is who, and as to what their intentions might be is what adds to the paranoia and sense of fear you feel any time you even think someone might be around.

Crafting/Gathering (resources in a fixed location) would take away from the need to continue to wander and explore, which forces you to experience the sense previously mentioned thus driving a more emotional game experience.

Heavy Vehicles/Artillery. Artillery is over the top, its completely useless to the games design currently. Unless there was a roaming hoard of 250+ zombies that moved around the map randomly it servers no purpose. Personal carriers and other armour also serve little purpose as they remove the threat to your life. Making the ammo etc rare changes little in this regard, the object becomes either completely overpowered in the current game.. or borderline useless at all other times. Developer time is better spent else where.

Operable power plants. This is an idea I can work with. It encourages team work between strangers, benefits a community and gives the good guys something to aim for beyond just not getting killed and it lends itself to emergent player driven game play.

The ideas themselves are not bad, but they are simply not suitable for experience the mod wants to create. That said don't stop trying to come up with new ideas, just try to remember what type of experience the game is meant to be.

[/quote']

Absolutely not to teams. It will destroy this game. No factions, just survival everyone on its own.

I dislike idea of APCs aswell. I can just imagine this becoming another Battlefield 2. APC crawling trough beaches killing new survivors.