Sign in to follow this  
gibonez

rethinking the ak family

And actually gibonez, the AK-74 in game DOES have side rails, just as the AK-74M does. The AK-74 is the exact same model as the AK-101, just spawns with different furniture.

You can tell because the 74's pistol grip is still the black polymer one rather than the brown one that the AKS-74U uses.

(Though currently the AK74 CANNOT use the PSO-1, so it doesn't matter.)

The original ak74 did not have a side rail. That was later introduced in a specialized ak74 model for mounted night optics.

All ak74m do have a side rail.

Sure while the changes above would remove some of the modularity you would find that as you move up the list each would have more and more modularity thus creating a hierarchy.

Akm : no modularity

Ak74 : rpk mags, stocks and hand guards

Aks74u : rpk mags , silencers

Ak74m : all ak family modularity

Creates a good hierarchy and linear progression in the current assault rifles.

Not to mention allows 556 to only be a helicopter spawn and consolidates ak magazines.

(Can't quote because I'm not in front of a computer, but nonetheless)

When I was talking about the AK74 with the rail I meant the one that's in the game. It uses the exact same model as the AK74M/AK101. Réal original AK74's didn't have rails but the one ingame does, so it may as well be an AK74N with classic furniture.

AKM should at the least keep the 7.62x39 drum and AKMS underfolder if the devs plan to revamp the series. The 7.62 drum can be regulated but I'd préfer it not be removed completely.

AK74, I agrée, could be more diverse. You'd also hâve 45rnd and 75rnd drums as an option.

AKS-74U, I could live with it not being modular at all save for optics and suppressors. Only thing I do like is using the sidefolder on the large AK74, so they should keep that in.

I still would préfer they keep the AK-101 as it is rather than making it into the 74M. The AK-101 would simply be the eastern crashsite AK, rather than a général spawn.

In other news, I'm excitéd for the new Winchester Model 70 (Fallout Hunting Rifle) and tentative Mauser C96.

Finally were getting some good hunting rifles and civilian optics, as well as a civvie pistol (The FNX & Amphibia are clearly military pistols, the 1911 and CR75 could be civilian but are also newer, likely government issue, leaving just the P1

(Can't quote because I'm not in front of a computer, but nonetheless)

When I was talking about the AK74 with the rail I meant the one that's in the game. It uses the exact same model as the AK74M/AK101. Réal original AK74's didn't have rails but the one ingame does, so it may as well be an AK74N with classic furniture.

AKM should at the least keep the 7.62x39 drum and AKMS underfolder if the devs plan to revamp the series. The 7.62 drum can be regulated but I'd préfer it not be removed completely.

AK74, I agrée, could be more diverse. You'd also hâve 45rnd and 75rnd drums as an option.

AKS-74U, I could live with it not being modular at all save for optics and suppressors. Only thing I do like is using the sidefolder on the large AK74, so they should keep that in.

I still would préfer they keep the AK-101 as it is rather than making it into the 74M. The AK-101 would simply be the eastern crashsite AK, rather than a général spawn.

In other news, I'm excitéd for the new Winchester Model 70 (Fallout Hunting Rifle) and tentative Mauser C96.

Finally were getting some good hunting rifles and civilian optics, as well as a civvie pistol (The FNX & Amphibia are clearly military pistols, the 1911 and CR75 could be civilian but are also newer, likely government issue, leaving just the P1

Excited about the model 70 too.

I think part of the reason I like the idea of consolidating the ak family is that the hierarchy would sort of recreate the same hierarchy found in the mod.

In the mod guns with optics were king just think of the m16a4 in the mod vs the m16a2.

What I suggested in the op would have a similar effect on the ak family.

While at the same time repurposing the implausible ak 101 for a far now common ak74m.

This at the same time gives the ak family especially the 74 models more parity with the western rifles that seem to share magazines.

Basically streamlines the game and loot for theses weapons and adds some realism.

Excited about the model 70 too.

I think part of the reason I like the idea of consolidating the ak family is that the hierarchy would sort of recreate the same hierarchy found in the mod.

In the mod guns with optics were king just think of the m16a4 in the mod vs the m16a2.

What I suggested in the op would have a similar effect on the ak family.

While at the same time repurposing the implausible ak 101 for a far now common ak74m.

This at the same time gives the ak family especially the 74 models more parity with the western rifles that seem to share magazines.

Basically streamlines the game and loot for theses weapons and adds some realism.

The mod was also fairly streamlined because all of the weapon assets were already made, whereas everything now has to be created from the ground up.

It's just more convenient and worthwhile for the devs to make rails and parts be attachments rather than creating a new variant for minor differences.

The AK-101 actually isn't completely implausible - they're used by the Russian Ministry of Interior Defense, who mind you were present during the ArmA 2 campaign. You could even say that AK-101s exist in Chernarus because they wanted AK rifles that could use all of the leftover and donated 5.56x45mm ammunition they had while still being able to use local parts... just as Israel has TAR-21 variants in 5.45x39mm and 7.62x39mm because of all of the ammunition they captured during the many wars they've been in.

And since the models are identical save for the attachments they may as well just get rid of the AK-101/AK-74M entirely if they don't want to keep it as is, because if it used the 5.45x39mm ammo it would quite literally just be an AK-74 that spawns with polymer parts. I'd still prefer the AK-101 be given its actual 5.56 magazine and be left at helicopter crashsites, with the AK-74, AKS-74U, and AKM being regular military spawns.

In the mod attachments were king because they were only available on specific weapons that had to be made rare simply because they had them. Now the devs are taking advantage of the brand new attachment system and are instead making optics and scopes rarer but allowing them to be more universal. (And optics are super consolidated right now anyway - only the M4A1, MP5K, and soon to be AUG can use the Aimpoint/T3N/ACOG/BUIS, the FNX-45 has the unique MRD, the LRS can be used on the Mosin though it's planned to be removed, and the PU Scope can be used on the Mosin and SKS - which is fine, IMO [Yes, the SKS is not typically used with the PU but even the M59/66 can do it p5191513uu8.jpg.

Otherwise, modularity is simply aesthetic parts that should have no real effect on the gun save for recoil, weight, and dexterity.)

Wait where is this confirmed? Or are you just being evil?

OP

Why exactly couldn't the AKM take other AK Handguards? They all mount the same, don't they? Anyway, i don't like this idea all that much, (MAYBE No side rail on the AKM) i'de rather there just be zeroing, becuase most CoD kiddies wouldn't be smart enough to know why they're rounds weren't hitting some poor freshspawn. (And for PSO's to be really rare in general)

OP

Why exactly couldn't the AKM take other AK Handguards? They all mount the same, don't they? Anyway, i don't like this idea all that much, (MAYBE No side rail on the AKM) i'de rather there just be zeroing, becuase most CoD kiddies wouldn't be smart enough to know why they're rounds weren't hitting some poor freshspawn. (And for PSO's to be really rare in general)

Winchester Model 70 was confirmed on the December 1st devblog. Mauser hasn't been confirmed but because it's been talked about so much by the devs I'd say it's probably going to happen. (just as the Steyr AUG did.)

It's probably wrong to outright assume that it will be in the game, but it's tentative enough to be excited for it;

OP

Afaik the akm hand guards have a tiny u shaped notch that is missing on the ak74 family.