PinkTaco24

Zombie AI is completely and utterly broken

There is no argument here.

The ranges of agro make no sense.

They constantly skip around

They attack through walls

They warp

1 zombie will totally ignore you in prone at 2 ft away while another aggros from 50 feet away.

Zombies are completely broken to the point of absurdity. If this mod is going to succeed, zombie mechanics MUST be fixed.

Lol'd irl.

7/10 good troll.

But no seriously the mod isnt even fully completed and hes complaining about the zombie AI?

Get used to the engine and the AI system. Its STUPID easy to avoid detection, and learning their broken paths and learning how to avoid them from running through walls and even attacking through them is simple, stay the fuck away from the walls so they wont path outside then make their way inside. durr.

IMO AI detection and attraction is fine, it just needs a bit of tweaking- otherwise its still 100% playable and enjoyable. Just l2p

Yeah, though for Alpha the progress is remarkable. I think that's why some seem to forget ALPHA STAGE and (not saying it here, just in general) sound like they "demand" things without considering the early version.

But of course, game progresses with feedback.

I started in this version (1.7.1.5) and I can't really complain. Sure, the behavior you mentioned exists, but all in all I consider it to be okay. In short, you may have a point, but in my opinion you can deal with it regardless of their weird behavior at times. I mean, could be worse, was probably worse, and may only get better. Some things may be limited to the engine, though. You can't do "everything" here, for example, the engine does not permit underground areas, to name a very simple, slightly unrelated example.

1. Watch your visibility, and the amount of noise your making. you can pretty much crawl between a zombies legs without being noticed under certain circumstances.

2. They aren't skipping, they are staying limber so they can rush and charge anyone they see, smell, or hear. They are essentially scouting the general area looking for food.

3. Of course they do, they are the undead horde! Punching through walls and doors is what they do best (just grab any classic horror monster movie) What is actually bugged is the animation for this, you don't see a hole in the wall or window after the zombie has punched through it, nor do you see the arm reaching around trying to grab something.

4. nah, they don't warp. you must be laggin. Or you happen to be standing around while a respawn cycle happens.

Hmmm looks to me like zombies are working fine. nothing is broken here folks. thread can now be closed.

Can't really even say alpha though. It's just the way the engine for ARMA works. Doesn't work well with the zombie AI. I'm sure Arma 3 will be a TON better regarding zed AI or if Rocket decides to, make DayZ a standalone game that'd work well also.

One zombie will totally ignore you in prone at two feet away while another aggros from fifty feet away.

Those are the real life inconsistencies of the post apocalyptic Chernarus.

Shut up with the "it's in alpha" tripe. What you're really saying is that you agree with him that at the current point in time, the zombie AI is broken. And it is. Seeing as how it's a major aspect of the game, it should be focused on and fixed as soon as possible.

Also, it's not your place to worry about the supposed limitations of the ArmA engine. That's the devs' problem. We say what we want to see and they can fall short if that's the way it has to be or they don't have the skill.

Shut up with the "it's in alpha" tripe. What you're really saying is that you agree with him that at the current point in time' date=' the zombie AI is broken. And it is. Seeing as how it's a major aspect of the game, it should be focused on and fixed as soon as possible.

Also, it's not your place to worry about the supposed limitations of the ArmA engine. That's the devs' problem. We say what we want to see and they can fall short if that's the way it has to be or they don't have the skill.

[/quote']

"It's in alpha" isn't an excuse for some things. (see: BF3, T:A, APB)

This isn't one of those things.

Shut up with the "it's in alpha" tripe. What you're really saying is that you agree with him that at the current point in time' date=' the zombie AI is broken. And it is. Seeing as how it's a major aspect of the game, it should be focused on and fixed as soon as possible.

[/quote']

While I do agree that the Zed AI is a bit undesirable at the moment, it can be tweaked, and it isn't tweaked because this mod is in Alpha. It is at a very early stage, and while it does already have a lot of features, it still isn't near complete.

Have you seen the pending update 1.7.2's changelog? The AI is being worked on all of the time.

The limitations in the engine have nothing to do with what can/can't be done. ArmA 2 is one of the most modifiable games in existence, Rocket will code what he wants to code. Which brings up the point that Rocket stated that he is creating this mod the way he wants with minuscule help from the community.

If you don't like it, fuck off. We who enjoy the game have no time to complain on the forums, so everyone who complains on the forums should be considered a minority, thus being ignored.

guys I realy dont understand HOW do you play this game if you crying about zeds, in this patch zeds are dumb, blind and dont hear a shit - befor i was crowling to choper crash sites - now i am walking or crouch runing to it - even shooting if some one near - no one agroing on me.

just some things u need to know - shoot first while they are not aggroed on you!

if you meke them aggro they will call others - thats it. In dayz dieing only coz of other players who kill me.

Complaining on the forums is exactly what we're supposed to do as alpha testers.

Rocket never said that we, as players, were alpha testers (unless he did, which he might have but I've never heard anything of it). HE simply released this to the public and is taking notes on feedback.

Which is exactly what alpha testers essentially do, but we aren't officially alpha testers.

I hate when they see me prone... behind them :s

but we're supposed to be seeing some big changes to zed AI with 7.1.2

The punishment for starting these type of threads should involve forum privileges being revoked until proper completion of an "understanding what alpha means" class.

The punishment for starting these type of threads should involve forum privileges being revoked until proper completion of an "understanding what alpha means" class.

The 1000+ posts are definitely ridiculous, but it's equally ridiculous that rocket can't just fix the single most important core feature in the game.

Honestly I couldn't give two shits about the "improved AI." I just want them to stop hitting through walls, running in circles, zigzagging, and warping.

Instead he implements "new features" like the ability to lose zombies, improved sight, etc. Players definitely need to tell him that shit is a waste of time.

also, the sky is blue, people in the middle east cant get along with each other, fire is hot and water is wet.

I hate when they see me prone... behind them :s

but we're supposed to be seeing some big changes to zed AI with 7.1.2

They are hearing you maybe? I always find that 9/10 I aggro via sound. Its pretty easy generally speaking to stay of of their line of sight.

i think this current version (1.7.1.5) has very balanced zombie AI. Very easy pass by them after you know have they behave. Reminds me early versions of the zombie AI from 1.7.0 and above. now its just more dynamic besides them running trough obstacles and mouling trough walls.

thats alpha, allrite.

I'm unaware as to how the arma's AI engine worked. I never played it.

However, in the current state the zombie AI just does not work.

I don't know why everyone is so butthurt at me making this thread. I just loaded this game up, played all day yesterday, and that is my feedback.

Any new player, who has played video games at all in their life will see the way zombies react and say 'wtf is this shit?' if this stays. I'm not trashing the game.. the idea is awesome. But this issue has to be fixed. It HAS to.

Been playing all day, they work well... im a little mad i was not paying attention and had one a foot away from me who attacked while i was crawling... but my Enfield took care of him and i beat a hasty retreat.

The AI actually has been great!