zeke (DayZ)

Waiting for character to create?

Hey guys,

Everytime I join a server now I get "Waiting for character to create" for about 5-6 mins then it'll go to a "Loading" screen for another 5-6 mins before I actually spawn.

So all up every time I die and need to respawn or join a new game it takes me rougly 10-15 mins to get into the game. Is this normal?

The first few games I played it would only take me 1-2 mins to respawn.

I read that reinstalling Battleye might help but that hasn't seemed to do anything. I want to try avoid reinstalling Arma2 as I downloaded it off steam (7GIG each) and I have a download limit.

Any other ideas that might help or is that normal?

EDIT:

I have searched the forums, I've tried most things people have suggested (Apart from reinstalling as mentioned above) with no luck..

I've reposted this in troubleshooting so a MOD can feel free to delete this...

Some servers do seem to get stuck at that stage from time to time. The character creation stage usually only takes 30 seconds or so. You could try to find a server with a low population - where it's night-time in Chernarus as most people don't bother playing then. If a low pop server still hangs for ages then at least you'll know that the problem is your side. If so you could try verifying the game cache (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335) as an alternative to deleting and re-installing. That should, in theory at least, ensure that your local files are present and correct. Another thing you could look at is Windows Firewall or equivalent. When firing up multiplayer for the first time I recall being asked a couple of times what level of network access to allow. If you inadvertently disallowed access that might cause you to hang up somewhere along the line.

Test out different servers. I get this too when I join odd ones. Just CTRL+ALT+DELETE, close the game and try a different one.

i get that error myself. i usually just end up restarting the program, then it works once i restart.