Arkc

"Off Hand slot"

When you use the binoculars, you have the option to pull out either your primary/secondary, and this got me thinking.

Maybe an easy fix for a lot of issues could be solved by turning one or both of the optics slots into "off hand" slots, which you could pull up things as if they were equipped via the scroll menu. Ideas are:

Flashlight - People have a huge issue fumbling around with inventory trying to get it out. By throwing it in an off hand slot, you'd still have to pull it out separately so integrated flashlight guns would still be useful, but you wouldn't have to fight you're pack for space.

Melee - Throwing the hatchet/crowbar into one would let you easily pull it up for a quick town raid.

Binoculars/NV's - would still take up slots to keep balance

Weapon shortcut - It would be super convenient to be able to set a weapon in your pack to a quick slot to be able to switch faster. To keep this balanced, you'd still have to reload it upon switching.

Anything you have set to a quick slot would show on your body somewhere, tools on your belt, quick weapon on you lower back, etc.

Thoughts?

• Like 6

This might actually work. I think the best part about your suggestion would be The scrollwheel thing, if you can for instance your hachet without having to swap all your gear around you wouldnt risk having your gear dissappear, and it would be alot quicker.

Good idea!

Why use the optic slots if there already is a toolbelt? All that would have to be done is adding a better way to access the items from the toolbelt, could be done just as easily and would not mean having to mess with the optic (head) slots.

Like it all, except for the fast switch to primary weapon no 2. I do think that it is logical to be able to carry an assault rifle in hand, and have a sniper rifle on the back at the same time, but then, you shouldn't be able to put your rifle in the backpack, and also not be able to carry 3 wheels and a car engine in the coyote backpack(seriously).

The current system isn't all logical, and have some bugs need to be fixed, but i believe it's easier to keep as it is, compared to the work to get this idea to function.

games like necrovision and skyrim are good examples of "off hand slot". and i really hope we will see something like that games have.

I hate having to put my primary weapon in my backpack to use my hatchet, it takes too long and there's a risk I might lose my gun to a bug.

I'd especially like this for the hatchet, sometimes you just wanna kill those zombies silently, but it is quite difficult when you already have a weapon in your main equipment slot.

I'd especially like this for the hatchet, sometimes you just wanna kill those zombies silently, but it is quite difficult when you already have a weapon in your main equipment slot.

The other day I was playing with friends and some zombies followed us into a house, I figured why waste ammo on my lee enfield and alert the rest of the town of our presence when I have a perfectly good hatchet? I might as well just take them out silently right? wrong,by the time I made sure I had enough backpack space and moved everything around we would have all been dead :(

Yep, I like that fast switch meele-weapon. hatchet is usable only till you won't find any weapon. After all you use it only to harvest wood, and that's all you can do with it, 'cause it take's so much time to get it from toolbar.

I think:

• It would be necessary for a character to hold a large weapon like a rifle with two hands, in order to aim or even fire in any way

• Pistols would all be one hand weapons

• Other one handed items like flashlight and binoculars could easily be used in one hand while any other weapon is being held in the other hand

• Using two hands for holding binoculars is unnecessary

• Rifles should always be held in one hand, opposite to any existing pistol holster on the other side of the body, to be pulled out with any free right hand (so there is no crossing and shuffling of items between hands)

• A left handed / right handed character option might be helpful for those being accustomed to holding a gun on either their left or right hand.

• It would then seem ok to have a character hold, aim and fire a pistol with his left hand, while also holding or aiming a flashlight forwards.

• Btw, how about being able to hit people unconscious with a flashlight? :) I think guards and police officers are trained in assaulting people with their heavy mag light flashlight.

• So if holding a rifle in one hand and something else in the other, the item in the "offhand" could be either put back into the inventory OR dropped quickly on the groun in order to aim and fire the rifle.

• With the concept of using two hands, dual hand usage raises an obvious problem with regard to handguns. Disallowing the use of two guns seem odd with this system imo. Axes would be considered two handed.

• It would then seem sensible to carry two rifles at the same time, but without being able to aim and fire any weapon, unless one is dropped.

• It seem sensible to infer some kind of stamina penalty for carrying a weighty weapon in each hand, to prevent someone ALWAYS walking around with a different type of rifle in each of their hands.

• Being able to use two hands for carrying items might be a more convenient alternative for picking up loot, instead of having to always restort to managing the inventory before moving on.

Edited by Treehugger