Sign in to follow this  
Ub3rS0ldat

Why DayZ is extremely FUN

I saw another post saying why it wasn't fun so I decided to post why, for myself, it's extremely fun.

I've had many encounters with other players and they've always played out differently. I've teamed up with some and roamed around discovering the world together, sharing loot and helping each other survive. Someone stole my stuff but that's partly Internet anonymity to blame there.

When I first get the Lee Enfield and started using it I quickly discovered it was a bad idea because it is so loud and it meant that I had to make sure I was taking them out at a further range, I had to adapt.

I find it exciting creeping through a town and finding much needed supplies. Especially when you've ran out of ammo and then happen upon the mother load.

Of course it doesn't always go your way but that's a part of gaming and life.

Why is DayZ fun for you?

Like I've stated many times before, I like the immersion effect. Like Project Zomboid and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, I like it when I have to forage for food, ammo, and supplies while fending off bandits and zombies. It's very frightening to go into a town by yourself, throwing flares and hoping you find something before the zombies find you.

Troll has had all his threads/posts removed.

Carry on

I haven't played a game that got my heart pumping this much since Ultima Online back in 98-99 before they nerfed it, taking out pk's to make it carebear friendly.

That feeling when you turn a corner or go in a building and come face to face with another survivor. I'm not even a bandit, but I love the fact that they are around. I love having to be on my toes at every second. It really draws you into the game. You don't want to ever let your guard down, because 9 times out of 10 when you die, it's because of something stupid you did.

The freedom of this game is amazing. You can literally do whatever you want. The implementation of wire fences and sandbags just open up so many more doors. Make your own hideouts. Player's taking over spots around the map and making them their own. Tents to store your items in.

And the updates! I've already been through around 3 updates and I really respect the fact that so much is being done. Sure there's bumps on the road, but that's expected for an alpha. The fact that they get worked on so quickly is awesome. You can just tell that the devs are trying hard to please the players, fix the game breaking bugs, fix the mundane bugs, add content, tweak things... just so much going on at once! Sure it'll take a while to get everything done, but the road to release has been extremely fun so far!

I haven't even played an online PC game in a long looong time...until I heard about this mod. I had given up on gaming after the regurgitated games that have been released and re released for the past 10 or so years. I really hope publishers take notice. This game is filling a niche that has been empty for years.

I just spent like an hour sneaking through a town in the cover of night, being so close to the zombies i could clearly see their face. It was INTENSE. I found a Winchester and swapped it for my Enfield, what a brilliant idea.You could kill a zombie while be surrounded by other zombies and not get caught. Is like the perfect silent weapon to me, saved me a couple of times.

Navigating through the town and finding the buildings to enter, getting the supplies felt soo good, the feeling no other game has achieve so far.

It's fun because every choice is a serious gamble and the longer you play the more you have to loose which increases the importance and stress of your decision making... SOO INTENSE!!

People fail to realize that the purpose of Day Z is that it's supposed to be difficult, and it's supposed to test the player on several fronts. Day Z pushes the limits of ethics, personal freedom, realism (in the socio-political sense and the usual sense), and is really unique.

It is certainly not for the faint of heart, those who don't see the value or merit in being prepared to die for a can of beans to sustain oneself should look elsewhere. Day Z puts the success of the player squarely in the lap of... *gasp* the player him/her-self. You always have a choice, make the wrong one and you might get burned. Make the right one and your chances for survival/success will grow dramatically. This is what people cannot grasp, the nature of survival.

Day Z, and ARMA in general, is not about "fun" in the traditional sense. Explosions, snappy shooting, being rewarded exponentially, or feeling good about oneself. Fun is derived internally, inside the player, in Day Z. Obviously, this is facilitated by a fantastic mod. However, in my opinion, Day Z is truly about what YOU make of it... not what it makes of you.

I haven't played a game that got my heart pumping this much since Ultima Online back in 98-99 before they nerfed it' date=' taking out pk's to make it carebear friendly.

That feeling when you turn a corner or go in a building and come face to face with another survivor. I'm not even a bandit, but I love the fact that they are around. I love having to be on my toes at every second. It really draws you into the game. You don't want to ever let your guard down, because 9 times out of 10 when you die, it's because of something stupid you did.

The freedom of this game is amazing. You can literally do whatever you want. The implementation of wire fences and sandbags just open up so many more doors. Make your own hideouts. Player's taking over spots around the map and making them their own. Tents to store your items in.

And the updates! I've already been through around 3 updates and I really respect the fact that so much is being done. Sure there's bumps on the road, but that's expected for an alpha. The fact that they get worked on so quickly is awesome. You can just tell that the devs are trying hard to please the players, fix the game breaking bugs, fix the mundane bugs, add content, tweak things... just so much going on at once! Sure it'll take a while to get everything done, but the road to release has been extremely fun so far!

I haven't even played an online PC game in a long looong time...until I heard about this mod. I had given up on gaming after the regurgitated games that have been released and re released for the past 10 or so years. I really hope publishers take notice. This game is filling a niche that has been empty for years.

[/quote']

It's the top seller on Steam currently, so I guess that niche is a pretty huge, albeit hidden one.

Yeah, DayZ is the most fun game I've played in years. No AAA blockbuster of a game has even come close to the pure thrill of hearing faraway gunshots or sneaking through a zombie-filled town. I think it's perfect the way it is, with a good ratio of PvPing assholes and friendly, helpful survivors. However, I fear that the more popular it gets, the more assholes will begin to migrate in.

I haven't played a game that got my heart pumping this much since Ultima Online back in 98-99 before they nerfed it' date=' taking out pk's to make it carebear friendly.

[/quote']

It's the top seller on Steam currently, so I guess that niche is a pretty huge, albeit hidden one.

Yeah, DayZ is the most fun game I've played in years. No AAA blockbuster of a game has even come close to the pure thrill of hearing faraway gunshots or sneaking through a zombie-filled town. I think it's perfect the way it is, with a good ratio of PvPing assholes and friendly, helpful survivors. However, I fear that the more popular it gets, the more assholes will begin to migrate in.

Honest question:

Will beans and continuous ammo replenishment, killing unlimited zombies that respawn in minutes, and the occasional player, actually keep you here for months, years?

Honest question:

Will beans and continuous ammo replenishment' date=' killing unlimited zombies that respawn in minutes, and the occasional player, actually keep you here for months, years?

[/quote']

No. But considering the mod is in Alpha, I'm expecting a lot more features and aspects of gameplay. I love Minecraft, for example, and I've been playing it for about two years now. The only goals of Minecraft are to survive and gain wealth, all other goals you set for yourself. I see DayZ kind of like that.

What Futhermucker said.

As I said in my earlier post this is just an Alpha and I'm already having a blast and haven't been bored in my two weeks of playing. There is only more content to come. The addition of creatable objects (sandbags, tank traps, wire fence) only hints at the possibilities of where the devs can take this.

I've already seen people fortify area's for themselves using what has already been added. And I'm not talking blocking off a doorway with wire, I mean I've seen small perimeter fences set up around the north east airfield containing tents, vehicles, and a fireplace in the middle. It really made me feel like I was intruding into someones home. Right now it's just obstacles that hinder movement, but when you can build your own cover with sandbags, block roads with tank traps, and make movement to your base difficult with barbed wire, I can totally see some high profile bases being set up, adding another dynamic to this game.

Right now as the game currently is I could see myself enjoying it for at least a few months. No matter what you do, the experience is always different. With bugs being fixed and content being added all the time, it just raises my interest, and keeps me here even longer.

I've always been into survival games, and i hate games that spoonfeed me, yeah see this map? i walked KM's through zombie infested towns and pitch black forests to find it? see this gun i had to kill someone for it. All the things i have in my backpack are a result of my survival instinct and cunning and thats what makes this game so interesting.

Not to mention the moral choices you make in the game regarding players, am i going to be friendly or hostile? shall i shoot him because he has a better gun than me? should i save this guy from the group of zombies chasing him, ive not been what im just gonna call "ethically challenged" by a game as much as this, i honestly do sometimes feel guilty or proud of my actions in this game and thats whats kept me hooked