Sign in to follow this  
A Police Car

What information is available to server hosters?

I'm curious about what information is visible to a server admin/hoster as I've been seeing some odd behaviour on one of my most-frequented and tested it a little to see if my theory that it was the admin doing it was right. But without knowing what information they're able to see (server logs, like character login and vehicle/tent save locations) it is just speculation. Some of the behaviour has been too strange to be coincidental, and I want to know whether it's worth me checking out (and dying) a third time to confirm my suspicions and make a report, since if it's not admins abusing information available to them it's just a straight case of script/cheat use. Or a huge, huge coincidence.

Just write down what is happening and we tell you if its an abuse or not.

I don't know if it's worth it yet, I'll type it all out if anything continues to happen to continue to make me suspicious. Well, I would, though apparently I am no longer able to connect to the server, and keep getting kicked off. Basically it involved someone finding my campsite, me moving the remains to somewhere obscure, it being found again by the same people, me finding their site and watching it from afar, someone logging in and locking onto me as soon as they appeared, me moving back there and the same sudden login and death. I was watching the playerlist leading up to it out of curiosity to see if my suspicions would be confirmed.

Now I can't connect I'm guessing they've decided to move their site. It's a relatively young server and has multiple copies of top-tier items, so either they've spent all day for the server's two weeks of existence farming and constantly hopping in to guard their camp (not impossible, since it seems to be restarted multiple times a day which would make heli crash farming pretty easy) or they're using third-party software. I only make this guess because I've been shown caps of hackers' maps which show the locations of all vehicles, players and tents, which would explain my gear being found easily by the same people over and over.

Huh. Following the strange temporary connection refusal/repeated kicks issue, the server has now been renamed.

Guess that supports the "it was the admins rather than just any old script-users" idea.

As far as I know admins can only see log files with your GUID on it. Not locations/gear. If you have been kicked from a game it will say "Kicked" or "Banned" when it happens with a box for you to click to close it out. Sounds like the server is being hacked by the script kiddies.

Servers may be renamed due to the change of the server management system. I have to cahnge my servername too.

Everyone likes to accuse Admins of Abuse... there may be a few rotten apples out there, but most server admins aren't. Don't be so quick to judge. There are plenty of servers out there, just change servers.

Everyone likes to accuse Admins of Abuse... there may be a few rotten apples out there' date=' but most server admins aren't. Don't be so quick to judge. There are plenty of servers out there, just change servers.

[/quote']

I'm not being quick to judge, that's the point. You can read my posts if you like, they're still there. Full of words, as well. Lovely, scrummy, informative words.

Admins can't really tell anything. We can't even see who has killed whom.

It sounds more like whomever you're fighting on that server are hacking. Now, they could be hacking admins, but they must be doing more than merely being admins.

As for the server rename, all of the Vilayer hosted servers (which is a substantial number) were renamed on July 1 to prevent them from being blacklisted for improper names. So that may just be a coincidence.

Admins can't really tell anything. We can't even see who has killed whom.

It sounds more like whomever you're fighting on that server are hacking. Now' date=' they could be hacking admins, but they must be doing more than merely being admins.

As for the server rename, all of the Vilayer hosted servers (which is a substantial number) were renamed on July 1 to prevent them from being blacklisted for improper names. So that may just be a coincidence.

[/quote']

This is what I figured. As for the rename it may have been legit, it just seemed to coincide strangely with me being repeatedly kicked after finding their camp, like they were buying time to move their gear or something. In any case, like I said I was just curious. Seen plenty of videos recorded from locked servers showing (or heavily suggesting) that the admins were capable of "helping out" the people recording. Wasn't sure what that entailed, hence the question.