Sign in to follow this  
DerDuderich

"Fishing Hook" alternatives

So I would like to try out fishing.

But I can't because for some reason I can't find a Fishing Hook. Don't ask me why, over the past two weeks I couldn't find a single one.

Since the other items required (rope, stick, worms) are much easier to find, I've been carrying them around with me for weeks now blocking inventory slots. But they're useless without the hook. 

I'm not a professional fisher (we go fishing once a year maybe?) but from my experience it shouldn't be a problem to craft a somewhat useable hook yourself. But because I didn't want to rely on my personal experience, I looked up "fishing" in some survival books.

Turns out I was right: You should be able to use a little piece of wood or bone (with sharpened ends) as a fishing hook. This graphic illustrates how it is supposed to work:

drAwFE5.jpg

So essentially I'm asking for the option to craft an Improvised Fishing Hook.

Wooden Stick + Kitchen Knife/Hunting Knife = Improvised Fishing Hook

Of cause the Impovised Hook would have a significant lower chance to actually catch a fish, compared to the professional Fishing Hook. But still, it would be a nice additional to the game in terms of realism...

Source:

Nehberg, Rüdiger: Die Kunst zu Überleben: Survival. Munich, 2004. 

• Like 7

I would love to see an improvised fishing hook, you're right they are pretty rare. 

I think an improvised hook with a wooden stick should have high chance of breaking. An improvised hook with bone should be more durable.

• Like 1

You could also make an improvised Fishing Hook with a metal nail, fire and a hammer...which will be more effective, and also not that hard to find.

• Like 1

Here.. obviously you don't need all this tools... just a rock, a camp fire, and a hammer should do in a "survival" situation.

• Like 1

What wıll happen if you use improvised fishing hook? Only one you can hunt god damn carp. They need add atleast 5 fish type for lakes and at least 10 fish type in seas. Ohhh I have got alot of carp cause of improvised hook lets celebrate this.

What wıll happen if you use improvised fishing hook? Only one you can hunt god damn carp. They need add atleast 5 fish type for lakes and at least 10 fish type in seas. Ohhh I have got alot of carp cause of improvised hook lets celebrate this.

Well obviously fishing will become much more important once the rediculous spawnrates have been adjusted and there isn't a ton of food in every damn building anymore.

Currently hunting/fishing is unimportant but the time will come when it'll be an essential part of surviving...

Love the idea, hooks seem to be hit or miss when it comes to finding them. I tend to find them in small sheds, the 2 story metal sheds(the ones with stairs), storage units or in grocery stores. Being able to craft them would be a nice addition to the "survival" aspect of the game. As far as more fish types, I think for testing purposes one type will be sufficient. Beans to the OP for the improvised fishing hook idea

Edited by Tobias Winfro