ninami

Isn't Asus G75 good enough to play Dayz?

So I recently purchased an Asus G75 laptop. I love it and I can play new games without problems. I'm playing a lot of BF3 and playing with High settings at about 40-50 FPS.

But in order to play DayZ I need to set all the settings to LOW and disable everything possible. So now I'm playing at like 40-50 FPS but the game looks like shit.

Is there something I'm missing here? I mean sure ARMA2 engine is nice and all but there's no way it's THAT good looking. Is it just really really badly optimized or am I missing something?

Spec:

Nvidia GTX 670M

Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2,3GHz

8GB RAM

Windiws 7 64bit

Thanks for your help.

ARMA II is more CPU oriented and not as much GPU oriented as BF3. Looking at your specs the CPU clock speed is pretty low.

ARMA II is more CPU oriented and not as much GPU oriented as BF3. Looking at your specs the CPU clock speed is pretty low.

No...not it isn't. :dodgy:

Yes - the G75 should be able to play DayZ just fine. On max? doubtful, but most tower machines are having trouble with that too.

What is this nonsence? I play with my laptop with the same cpu and Geforce 640M on high settings, full HD

No...not it isn't. :dodgy:

Yes - the G75 should be able to play DayZ just fine. On max? doubtful' date=' but most tower machines are having trouble with that too.

[/quote']

I understand if I can't play it on MAX, that's fine. But playing on LOW/disabled seems kinda weird and it's not really fun :/ I just don't get why it runs so badly on my laptop.

some settings like the video memory need to be on high, setting some settings on low actually make the game play worse. just experiment with the settings to find what is best.

What is this nonsence? I play with my laptop with the same cpu and Geforce 640M on high settings' date=' full HD

[/quote']

What? Really? Then I'm freakin clueless... Wtf

Setting all your settings to low puts everything on the processor. Your processor has a little bit of a slow clock speed but thats alright. First if you use the six launcher press options in the bottom right and add this to your additional startup parameters. Exactly like this without the quotations. "-nosplash -world=empty -maxmem=2047 -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7" This gets rid of a few things that dont need to be loaded, makes sure it uses the maximum amount of ram, and properly uses all 4 cores. Okay next you want to mess around with the settings. Dont set everything to low. Make sure Vsync, postprocess, and shadows are off. For the rest of the settings here is a website that I used to get very very playable fps and the game still looks great!

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f440-pr-arma2-general-discussion/102496-arma2-oa-tweeks.html

One thing that will really help with fps is the SceneComplexity lowering. In that article it shows you how to lower it down which will give a tremendous boost. Well for me it did. (It shows your towards the end and is relatively easy. Although you need something to edit the file to lower it so I recommend "Notepad++")

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ Easy to right click and edit tons of files.

Hope this stuff helps you :)

So I recently purchased an Asus G75 laptop. I love it and I can play new games without problems. I'm playing a lot of BF3 and playing with High settings at about 40-50 FPS.

But in order to play DayZ I need to set all the settings to LOW and disable everything possible. So now I'm playing at like 40-50 FPS but the game looks like shit.

Is there something I'm missing here? I mean sure ARMA2 engine is nice and all but there's no way it's THAT good looking. Is it just really really badly optimized or am I missing something?

Spec:

Nvidia GTX 670M

Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2' date='3GHz

8GB RAM

Windiws 7 64bit

Thanks for your help.

[/quote']

have you turned off the six launcher when going to a server? This helps A LOT for some people (including me)

Failing that, turn off the post processing and AA and you should be fine. You can set the 3D to 50% also but I advise 100%, the rest don't make much difference but turning shadows off completely makes it easier to spot people running in forests.

I don't rememeber exactly where I read/heard it. But there was an interview with Rocket and the other boys at BI. One of them stated that putting your settings on "Low" in ArmA II is actually bad for performance. It takes the load off your GPU and pounds the crap out of your CPU.

Try going medium to high? Get the latest nVidia drivers? Make sure your laptops hardware drivers are up to date?

And this may be a no-brainer to some,... but make sure your on AC power, not trying to play this game running on your battery.

Yeah - running on battery typically underclocks your GPU and CPU. Don't do this kids - play with AC power!

I also have an asus G75. I play with everything on the default settings (normal/high) and at 1920x1080. I have not experienced a drop in FPS or any kind of performance issues. Although, I am running the latest beta driver for the GTX660m from the Nvidia website. Maybe try that out.

EDIT: Battery power is a BAD idea. I can't even run Diablo on battery power. PLUG IT IN SON!

Thanks for the replies, I tried go High but it only got worse. I now use mixed settings but 90% is on LOW. I guess I'll just have to play this way.