Starforsaken (DayZ)

About game performance;

Hi!
I am not complaining, it is just a simple question, not trying to be a troll or anything. I'm happy with the game as is now. I do know it's an EA Alpha, can't complain.
My PC is not that great, it's a bit old and as expected, my game is running poorly. I too know DayZ is not well optimized and probably nothing can be done about my case at this particular moment, except spending money on some new hardware, but it doesn't hurt asking.

I get about 25-30 fps in the cities. Can I do something to increase the FPS, different than following the internet guides to boosting fps, I don't really want to decrease my FoV to 1000 or whatever, or smashing the graphics to pixels, neither decreasing the render distance to 1, seeing as far as my nose sticks out. You get it.
My specs are 4GB RAM, AMD Phenom II X4 945 and GTX750 OC TF. Running on Windows 8.1 Pro.

Thank you.

Yeah, that's not bad frames in the city IMO :P. Personally I've tried most of the tips to boost performance to little effect, I don't think there is much to do but spend some cash now or wait and hope for some reasonable optimization... and then spend some cash :) .

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply, guys. :)

Looks like I should be happy with the fps I get now.

What are your specs, @Sarah Walker

@Hoik, I see where you're going, haha. Probably will have to save money anyway if I would want to play more DayZ in the future. :D :)

Edited by Starforsaken

Yeah don't upgrade just for DayZ alone. Upgrade your hardware when you notice multiple games you are interested in are starting to show signs of having trouble. Yes it is early access, and yes they havn't worked on any kind of optimazation yet because of it being EA.

Truth be told (this is no complaint just an observation) like most simulator type game engines they arn't known to be running on the average machine with high FPS for obvious reasons. This has always been the case and I'm afraid it always will be.

It kinda is like the days of old with PC gaming when games where always pushing the technical capabilities of the hardware of the time to the max. In the years of the gaming consoles this is for 90% a thing of the past, and maybe we arn't quite as used to it now. It's both a blessing and a curse, but this is another whole discussion so I won't go any further into that.

Anyways I digress.

Edited by Grumpy Monkey
  • Like 1

I get 30-40 in cities and 60 outside of towns (My FPS max's at 60)

This game is very poorly optimized right now and your FPS often can only go as high as the servers. They are optimizing the game slowly, but it's coming along.

Specs : 

i7 930 2.8 GHz

2x 760 SLI

14 GB Ram (8 Usable)

^ Only things that really matter

I get 30-40 in cities and 60 outside of towns (My FPS max's at 60)

This game is very poorly optimized right now and your FPS often can only go as high as the servers. They are optimizing the game slowly, but it's coming along.

Specs : 

i7 930 2.8 GHz

2x 760 SLI

14 GB Ram (8 Usable)

^ Only things that really matter

8 usable? I do not understand.

15 FPS in cities is okay for now. That is average for most people. Intel CPUs perform better than AMD. Even my 8 core AMD does not perform better than your 4 core phenom.

This might help.

I just upgraded my Graphics Card for DayZ (mostly) I have an older system also. Here is the card I got it was just $150 dollars and was well worth it. I dont know how to see how many FPS I'm getting but Dayz runs super smooth now. No stuttering at all in cities or anywhere. I dont have everything set to max but I have the important stuff set to high or very high (but like shadows I have low as possible).  I am not very computer savvy so I had to ask at a computer forum on the best graphics card for my system this card was the answer I received. I read some reviews and watched a few videos about it and I was sold. It was as good as all the reviews said.  I think this is a great option for anyone looking to upgrade an older system.

Here is my system and the card I installed.

My system http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113086

Invidia EVGA GTX 750 ti

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclock-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3753-KR/dp/B00IDG3IDO

Here is a video review of the card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Pnte_niJE

You should be very happy with the frames you get.

My system is quite a bit faster I think and I don't really get much better frames than you (around the same amount +/-)

System:

Intel Core i7 4770K OC

16GB DDR3 1866

R.O.G. Maximus VI Hero

3x Samsung EVO SSD 512 GB + 1x 2 TB Seagate (7200rpm)

nVidia GeForce GTX 770

Win7 64Bit Ultimate

CPU clock speed is king in Arma games.

The level geometry in the towns is the main problem as it is all done on the CPU and causes a lot of bottle-neck

Overclock your CPU you will get a marked increase in performance in towns.

Also do you mind me asking what your view distance is set on?

CPU clock speed is king in Arma games.

The level geometry in the towns is the main problem as it is all done on the CPU and causes a lot of bottle-neck

Overclock your CPU you will get a marked increase in performance in towns.

Also do you mind me asking what your view distance is set on?

My view distance is the default, I think. 

I have an OK laptop for gaming, good ammount of ram for the games I play, above average processor, etc, but one thing it lacks; A good graphics card. 

I get 15-20 FPS in cities, 30 elsewhere. I find it just fine, having played all my PC games on a 2007 office computer for a majority of my PC gaming life. 

8 usable? I do not understand.

15 FPS in cities is okay for now. That is average for most people. Intel CPUs perform better than AMD. Even my 8 core AMD does not perform better than your 4 core phenom.

I honestly have no idea. Unless some of my ram is ONLY used for my OS, I dont know either. It says 8 usable in my system info. Everything runs fine, but i've always been curious about that as well

I honestly have no idea. Unless some of my ram is ONLY used for my OS, I dont know either. It says 8 usable in my system info. Everything runs fine, but i've always been curious about that as well

Is it possible that you use Windows 7 Home Basic 64 Bit? That one is limited to 8 GB. Sorry for the slight off topic.

Yeah don't upgrade just for DayZ alone. Upgrade your hardware when you notice multiple games you are interested in are starting to show signs of having trouble. Yes it is early access, and yes they havn't worked on any kind of optimazation yet because of it being EA.

Truth be told (this is no complaint just an observation) like most simulator type game engines they arn't known to be running on the average machine with high FPS for obvious reasons. This has always been the case and I'm afraid it always will be.

It kinda is like the days of old with PC gaming when games where always pushing the technical capabilities of the hardware of the time to the max. In the years of the gaming consoles this is for 90% a thing of the past, and maybe we arn't quite as used to it now. It's both a blessing and a curse, but this is another whole discussion so I won't go any further into that.

Anyways I digress.

You mean the days when you needed a new graphic card every year, more RAM every couple of years.. and a new computer every 3 years ? That was PC hell.. never again... please...I guess consoles are good for "something".... <_<

Some of you RAM is reserved for the OS and background services, is the same in every computer. But the most important thing is the speed of your RAM.

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1 and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1 in config (1000 was default) helped me a little.

i can play very high @ 1920x1080 with 60 to 70 outside towns and like 16 to 21 in cities. but the framedrops are really annoying and no fun to play... so i set everything on low and now i have smooth ~30fps in cities. no more hard drops.

system:

i7 860 @ 3.8ghz

8gb ram

780ti (oc)

Some of you RAM is reserved for the OS and background services, is the same in every computer. But the most important thing is the speed of your RAM.

That is correct, but the inaccessible RAM in his case is about 6 GB. That is too much. I run Windows 7 Professional and the accessible RAM is 8 of 8 GB. Either he uses a restricted version of Windows, like Windows 7 Home Basic for example, which is even in 64 Bit limited to 8 GB, or he somehow unknowingly managed to artificially reduce his RAM in msconfig.

You mean the days when you needed a new graphic card every year, more RAM every couple of years.. and a new computer every 3 years ? That was PC hell.. never again... please...I guess consoles are good for "something".... <_<

Hehe yeah those days. The days of Homeworld 1, Wing Commander 1-3, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, Under a killing Moon etc.

I updated my bios yesterday and my comp doesn't work anymor. Lolwhat

I updated my bios yesterday and my comp doesn't work anymor. Lolwhat

Updating BIOS can be risky business unfortunately. If something goes wrong you can essentially brick your system.

Updating BIOS can be risky business unfortunately. If something goes wrong you can essentially brick your system.

Comp froze and had to restart.gg. idec I'm buying an adus z87 and an i7 4790k now. Time for more speed!!

Comp froze and had to restart.gg. idec I'm buying an adus z87 and an i7 4790k now. Time for more speed!!

Make sure you get a nice cooler and read up on overclocking too then. :P