zorisx

Server Hopping/Exploiting Prevention Idea

I sort of have a solution to this and the server hopping that ties in well with Rocket's upcoming Server-Side logging detection.

My proposal is to choose "X amount of servers" that you would like to play on with a certain character. These will be your main servers and you can swap between them inexploitedly within a certain time frame.

By restricting these options, you will allow the servers to collect data more efficiently and punish those abusing the system without having to "chase them down" to put it in a horrible technical sense lol.

With another character option...you would then be able to choose 3 SEPARATE servers from the primary character.

Now, with this said, items would still be able to be transferred to other players who choose theirs and so on. Which is fine...just delays the process and slows the whole thing down pretty much making it redundant.

Clans would be encouraged to join their own servers so that you wouldn't have 10/50 available slots taken by them.

Feedback? Constructive criticism welcome :)

I'd be fine with one character per server honestly.

Would be nice to have a character to play with friends and another to play solo. Would also solve the server hopping and people logging out to sneak up on other players/bypass obstacles.

**EDIT**

At the very least they need to not save game location between servers.

One Character per server would be lame. If a server is full, then you can't play your character that you worked hard on or that you simply desire to play.

My idea allows for players to choose the servers they're most comfortable in.

Why would you want to preserve the same character for all servers notion?

Hmm I think we should preserve the 1 character - all server idea.

Tried to put everything on this topic together:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=23823

Feel free to add some more or criticize the suggestions to help Rocket out.

That is a poor idea from the mear fact many, many players dont want to play the game during the night cycle and when it transitions they switch to a server with the day cycle. Untill they make flashlight use less cumbersome I don't see people changing their minds on this...In my mind they need a flashlight mount and a smaller military grade flashlight to start so you can attach it to most of the rifles on the guns rails. They should also have a duct tape item you could use to tape it to some of the none military grade rifles without rails like the Lee

One Character per server would be lame. If a server is full' date=' then you can't play your character that you worked hard on or that you simply desire to play.

My idea allows for players to choose the servers they're most comfortable in.

Why would you want to preserve the same character for all servers notion?

[/quote']

Then we make servers with higher capacity.

That is a poor idea from the mear fact many' date=' many players dont want to play the game during the night cycle and when it transitions they switch to a server with the day cycle. Untill they make flashlight use less cumbersome I don't see people changing their minds on this...In my mind they need a flashlight mount and a smaller military grade flashlight to start so you can attach it to most of the rifles on the guns rails. They should also have a duct tape item you could use to tape it to some of the none military grade rifles without rails like the Lee

[/quote']

I agree, players shouldn't have a choice about which timezone they play in. Let's fix torches.

There are FAR more elegant solutions to this problem that don't involve undermining so many fundamental aspects of the game.

If I have 25 characters instead of 1, how will death have any meaning whatsoever? "Oh well, I died on N21 but that's okay I still have N26 and NY38 and Seattle 9!"

Eww, grosss.

This is on top of the obvious issues - servers can be offline, full or the owners can simply stop paying the bills whenever they get bored with the game. You want me to lose my 47-day-old survivor 'cause some guy decided he can't afford to keep his server up anymore?

Eww, grosssss.

Between crashing servers and various other reasons despite the exploiting some people are so fond of I'm still all for 1 character all servers.

How would you naysayers feel about one large persistent world?

That seems like a pretty good idea! But it just not possible in arma really...

And having one massive world would make this game so crazy difficult on a small map, also really laggy i would think.

And for the idea of one chr per server, this would fix the server hoping but this is one of the things that makes dayz so unique.

Maybe making it so after being killed, or killing another player, you are locked to that server for x mins. and everytime you kill a player, it adds onto how many mins you are locked to said server?

It'd be nice, but way too data-intensive.

If it is feasible, I'm all up to it.

In response to the OP, no, I never keep track of servers I join consistently. I just find one with the amount of players, ping and an interesting name that I'd like and click join. With your suggestion I'd have to start keeping track, and that's too much effort.

Could always server-log between those select-few servers anyway, and I'd rather not have to keep one character per server in case I get tired of one or it becomes full.

It'd be nice' date=' but way too data-intensive.

If it is feasible, I'm all up to it.

In response to the OP, no, I never keep track of servers I join consistently. I just find one with the amount of players, ping and an interesting name that I'd like and click join. With your suggestion I'd have to start keeping track, and that's too much effort.

Could always server-log between those select-few servers anyway, and I'd rather not have to keep one character per server in case I get tired of one or it becomes full.

[/quote']

This isnt the suggestion I'm making. Choosing 3 servers ( lets say ) that are favorable to both you and your friends would allow you to experience the game comfortably whilst maintaining a non-exploited economy.

EDIT*

By showing the only servers you chose which where available. You wouldn't have to scurry through the extended lists or filters to find your desired ones. If you choose your secondary character, the desired separate servers show up for that profile.

yea i'm not a fan of the idea of having to choose a certain amount of servers to be able to play. not a good idea. but it's a problem I think needs to be solved so my counter to your idea is the idea to have it so there is a time limit till your character is logged off. Say 5, 10, 20 ,30mins or even longer your character will remain in game leaving them vulnerable to any passing zombie or player. This way it solves multiple problems. You can't log in to other servers cause you're still on one PLUS you wont be able to log out to avoid dying. If you get disconnected you will still be able to play because you're character is still on that server and you can return, but only to that server not to any other. Some times people just have to go so let them close the program but let them know their character will persist in the world for a time period leaving them vulnerable. players would have to be specially careful to find a safe place to log off this way.

the only down sides to my idea are the strain on the server side and people getting killed while logged off. As for people getting killed while logged off, you can justify it by having it be like real life sleep. you have to sleep in real life and you are vulnerable in your sleep. in real zombie apocalypse you would be sure to find a VERY safe sleeping area. I'm not sure about the server strain though. I'm sure it can be solved though.

Why is it not a good idea? explain :)

"Say 5, 10, 20 ,30mins or even longer your character will remain in game leaving them vulnerable to any passing zombie or player." Can't be done as characters are saved as soon as you leave and would create a dupe ability.

Why is it not a good idea? explain :)

"Say 5' date=' 10, 20 ,30mins or even longer your character will remain in game leaving them vulnerable to any passing zombie or player." Can't be done as characters are saved as soon as you leave and would create a dupe ability.

[/quote']

i could think of a lot of reasons why it's bad, but mainly you can lump them all in; it's not a good idea because sometimes servers change and/or sometimes people want something new and/or change.

You bring up a good point with the duping. This could be solved with having some sort of a central server of some sort that saves all player info instead. That solution is just off the top of my head, but i really feel if the few hurdles it presents could be solved, my idea would solve the most problems... other than one huge persistent world. you could have different servers responsible for different parts of the map for that.