oktyabr

Suggestion: fine tune new zed behaviors

This is exactly what I was looking for. This games totally breaks the immersion sometimes. Today I was laid down crawling past zombies' date=' bleeding and I managed to get past them, crawl to the other side of a wall and while I was bandaging myself up they saw me through the wall. I was then chased with no bullets (I was on a roof 1000000miles in the air and a zombie saw me; everything else in the area was also alerted and I literally only had one exit) and I ran for about 10 minutes, along the coast and so forth and then I thought "WHAT IF I SWIM?" Then it also turns out zombies can swim too; Just as fast as I can and can stand on the water to attack me.

This was absurd; once a zombie chases you that's it. I spent 2 hours, YES TWO. Looking for ammunition or a new gun and found nothing except car parts and that's beyond anything I could help. You can't say "THAT'S HOW THE GAME PLAYS, GET USED TO THE REALISM BOY" because I shouldn't have a gun in the first place then or know how to operate it.

The AI really needs a rework, everything suggested here is great!

[/quote']

This is the reason that I have also endorsed the "Petition for Melee weapons". Run for two hours looking for stuff while they faithfully tag along or smack one in the head with your rifle stock or pistol just to get them off your ass for awhile... But that's a different thread ;)

I also think they should maybe be afraid of water, or at least won't cross it. The "walking on water" thing is a bug inherent in the ARMA2 AI path finding and maybe the easiest way of fixing it is to just stop them from entering water in the first place. It also seems a pretty good trade off as you are likely to loose some/most of your gear on a long swim anyway.

A) I don't think they should know EXACTLY where you are, and just head in your general direction.

B) I don't think an entire town should move towards you.

As it stands, if you get caught with no ammo you may as well just do what I do and get yourself killed.

Finally someone else who realised zombies should investigate the SOURCE of guess shots and go to approximately where it was, if the player has quietly moved by the time they arrive then they just go into alert stage and look for the players, perhaps making people laid down in the grass more visible or people laying down on roads.

This thread is awesome. I agree with everything but the zombie stamina idea. As a supernatural primitive being that doesn't need substance to continue on, stamina shouldn't be used to describe zombies movement chooses or limitations. As for their attention span, this is what I believe will dictate how and when they'll slow down. If a zombie can barely see you in the tree lines, it should still sprint full speed in the last direction it saw "food" going towards. After this, is where they will forget what exactly they were doing though will continue on just on pure momentum. When that wears off, they are put back into stumble mode and shuffle aimlessly.

I extremely want light in the dark to factor in zombie's behavior. I know the latest update said to add this but still around the DayZ world, the number one fear of flares is other players seeing you and not wondering zombies where it should be both.

but in terms of pure movement speed' date=' they're faster than player characters.

[/quote']

this is how it should be. We as human are stronger and faster then we think we are but the only thing holding us back is our bodies knowing we will hurt ourselves using full energy. Zombies need not to worry about this thus they are faster and strong than us as long as they aren't decomposed too much.

Actually rocket has said "They are not dead." so they aren't the conventional "undead" sort of zombies.

If that's the case and these zombies can be slowed down on pure stamina conditions, shouldn't that then mean they do in fact need nourishment?

If that's the case and these zombies can be slowed down on pure stamina conditions' date=' shouldn't that then mean they do in fact need nourishment?

[/quote']

I would assume so and thats the reason that they want to eat human flesh. Other than that you know as much as I do now. There is supposed to be a "back story" to this mod that will hopefully fill in a bunch of the blanks (answer questions) but I don't know it yet either.

Speaking of cooldowns' date=' it would certainly be nice if human players regenerated blood over time. It would also be nice if the desaturated filter doesn't take over the screen until critical blood loss, say below 4k or something. The game is so pretty in color! But once you're below 7500, it already looks so bland, which isn't realistic whatsoever. I say do away with the black and white indication.

[/quote']

I agree, this would be a great idea but it should be a slow regen.