turkeyx

My friend runs slower than me?

SystemiK I'm really glad that you've done such extensive research on this. I have a friend who suffers from this crippling slowness and it has really deterred him from playing the game due to his reduced movement speed. I'll ask if he can submit a bug report as well so that this can gain some more attention, as it's a really unfortunate bug for those that are stuck with it.

I'm just guessing here, but i've seen in other games where you would lose animation frames if your computer sound was set to a high bit rate. You don't really notice the dropped animation frames, but arma may be sensitive to it for run speed.

Try going into your computers sound configuration and turning the bit rate down to something like 24 bit 44100 hz.

If you guys are rl friends maybe try switching computers/accounts to see if it's computer or character/account based.

The REAL answer is that he has his settings set too high and his computer is struggling to run the game. If your computer is chugging frames the engine will start to slow down. This manifests itself ingame as the player with the crappy PC moving slower than everyone else.

Yes' date=' this keeps being suggested. First of all his framerates are fine. Furthermore, as I have already said, with over 330,000 unique players there should easily be tens of thousands of people playing DayZ with poor framerates on low spec machines, laptops, etc. Where are all the bug reports from these tens of thousands of people? There are only a handful. Logic suggests that framerate is not the issue here, and then how do you account for the people who are playing on high spec rigs who are also reporting this problem?

Edit: I have also been searching through the BIS Arma 2 forums, and have not found any mention of this problem being discussed. Whatever it is, it seems specific to DayZ.

[/quote']

Define "fine". Anything less than 30 FPS starts slowing the arma engine down. I have a beastly rig running a prototypical processor and even I can overload the settings and slow the engine down. The thing that really gets people is that the game is constantly streaming large amounts of data. If you have the game installed on a low density 160 gig POS hard drive from 5 years ago then you're going to take a performance hit. Go get some real data then come talk to us.

Yeah one of my friends plays this with a processor from 2005 (dual core, intel 915 or some such) and his runspeed is freaking slow as crap.

Seriously, it's so bad he almost refuses to play without a new processor (sadly his other computer actually has a WORSE one, which is more expensive, and no one he knows has a spare computer he can use).

Yeah one of my friends plays this with a processor from 2005 (dual core' date=' intel 915 or some such) and his runspeed is freaking slow as crap.

Seriously, it's so bad he almost refuses to play without a new processor (sadly his other computer actually has a WORSE one, which is more expensive, and no one he knows has a spare computer he can use).

[/quote']

It's not the greatest, but he can have one heck of an upgrade for $400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103422

Pick up some extra ram while you're there:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422

Yeah one of my friends plays this with a processor from 2005 (dual core' date=' intel 915 or some such) and his runspeed is freaking slow as crap.

[/quote']

It's not the greatest, but he can have one heck of an upgrade for $400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103422

Pick up some extra ram while you're there:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422

That's the problem, he doesn't have 400$. Or 200, or even 100. He couldn't afford anything right now, or in the near future.

The funny part is the processor he is using is from my old computer and they go for 20$, and the one in his old computer is worse but goes for 89$. If his old comp wasn't fried he could probably sell some of the parts, but the moron touched the inside of his comp and fried most of it (saved the fan, harddrive, graphics card).

If I had another computer lying around I'd give him that, but I don't, and none of his friends have anything he can use, much less take parts from. So he is S.O.L.

Sadly, another one of my friends wants to play this game and has a G73JH Asus laptop that can run it, but is too broke to afford working internet. The saddest part is I'm the only one that is unemployed and I can afford a lot more... Bank Savings FTW!

Define "fine". I have a beastly rig running a prototypical processor

Go get some real data then come talk to us.

You are a GOD among men. Thank you for that quote! (not to be a dick, but that's a winner...)

Define "fine". I have a beastly rig running a prototypical processor

Go get some real data then come talk to us.

You are a GOD among men. Thank you for that quote! (not to be a dick' date=' but that's a winner...)

[/quote']

. . . so you don't have any real data then? OK.

I think you were trying to insult me or something, but you have failed pretty hard.

Define "fine". Anything less than 30 FPS starts slowing the arma engine down. I have a beastly rig running a prototypical processor and even I can overload the settings and slow the engine down. The thing that really gets people is that the game is constantly streaming large amounts of data. If you have the game installed on a low density 160 gig POS hard drive from 5 years ago then you're going to take a performance hit. Go get some real data then come talk to us.

Very well. His avg FPS is high 30, with very infrequent dips below. The game data resides on a Western Digital Caviar Black. Perhaps you wouldn't mind defining "protypical processor'' for us? That certainly sounds interesting...

Running with a main hand weapon is faster then running with a pistol.

Very well. His avg FPS is high 30' date=' with very infrequent dips below. The game data resides on a Western Digital Caviar Black. Perhaps you wouldn't mind defining "protypical processor'' for us? That certainly sounds interesting...

[/quote']

I'm running a 14nm Haswell chip with some extra bells and whistles. I'm an engineer in D1D.

I'm running a 14nm Haswell chip with some extra bells and whistles. I'm an engineer in D1D.

I thought Haswell was their 22nm and Broadwell is the 14nm currently in R&D.

Just got one of my friends into the game and he has the same bug. Gonna report

We made a major discovery in testing tonight! We generally play on Veteran servers because my buddy cant stand 3rd person view on and I can't stand having nametags on. We ended up logging to a 3rd person enabled server though and I suggested that since we had never compared our run speeds with him in 3rd person, that we should compare.

Once he switched to 3rd person view he was finally able to run at the same speed as me (actually it was just a shade slower, perhaps 5% less) and this was the first time he as ever been able to stay with me in a full sprint in the nearly two months since we have been playing DayZ. Previously, when he was running in 1st person view we estimated that he was sprinting at roughly 65% of my sprint speed.

If you are experiencing this bug, PLEASE get with a friend and test this theory both running alongside your friend in 1st person (for reference) and then again running in 3rd person view.

If this bug can be isolated and reproduced, we are well on our way to finding a solution for this movement speed bug. Please be sure to post your results.

If you sprint your speed will decrease over time as you get more winded up, it will reach the point where jogging will be faster, it has been that way since arma or maybe OFP even. I didn't check beyond page 1 but seeing as people there didn't have a clue i'll say this, maybe someone else already said.

Thanks, but that is not the issure here Uglyboy, The movement speed bug is a consistently slower movement speed (very slow) in all stances, and not a curve where the player gradually slows down from exhaustion.

As I mentioned above, we discovered last night that if he uses 3rd person view when running, that his movement speed bug is no longer present. For some reason, the bug only happens to him when in first person view.

I'm getting this problem too, but it still happens when I'm in 3rd person. I've tried making a new character but that did not solve the problem.

I am having this bug too and it is really really annoying for me and my group because they have to slow down so I can keep up. All of my movments are slowed down to about a third. Even climbing ladders is slower. I really would like to find a way to fix this so I don't slow down my team.

• Like 1