Sign in to follow this  
IamSE4N

My Dayz Frame drops, freezing and stuttering

I have the game about a month now and its being running ok up until about 2 days ago. I'm playing on a laptop and I usually get around 35-40 frames in the wild and 20-25 in cities but recently I've being getting constant frame drops under 10 fps, stuttering and the game completing freezing for up to 10 seconds or more and its happening every 10-20 seconds. It's making the game completely unplayable and is really frustrating me. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Are you playing Stable or Experimental?  I've noticed my game locking up and FPS drops more often when playing the latest Experimental.

What are your specs?

Honestly it could be many things. Could be your laptop overheating, could be that you're using the wrong windows power/energy profile resulting in a downclocked cpu or gpu. Have you experienced these problems in any other games or only DayZ? Have you altered your DayZ settings in any way? Have you been using the same graphics driver, and have you tried updating it? Some more information would be nice  :) .

In case of those two examples I gave, you may want to monitor your temperatures just to rule that issue out. I would recommend HWMonitor, you can run it in the background while playing the game. http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.25-setup.exe

It shows the maximum temperatures of your CPU and GPU as well as other components reached during play. Things like the weather or different surfaces you put your laptop on can have an effect on your CPU and GPU temperature. High temperatures can result in hiccups and much worse performance.

To verify wether your CPU is actually running at full clock speed, check with CPU-Z. http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.70-setup-en.exe

Generally when a laptop runs on battery the CPU downclocks itself to preserve battery power. Sometimes these power profiles get mixed up resulting in lower performance even when the charger is plugged in. CPU-Z shows your CPU type as well as it's core speed which is what we're looking for. 

These are some really basic things, hope we can get some more information to work with. In the end it may be a DayZ related problem, but as of now I cannot tell you.

Edited by Salva