synergies (DayZ)

This game is becoming less fun.

(...)

This simply doesn't work. I don't find the game so hard at the moment' date=' but for new players, it is near impossible to find a gun let alone survive more than 10 minutes. Guns don't spawn enough near the coast, deathmatchers/bandits/pvpers camp the cities and starting players don't have a gun to even clear out zombies that are spawning in buildings that have loot.

(...)

[/quote']

That is not correct. I started a new character and found 3 different weapons, and my Alice backpack was full of stuff within 30 minutes. Players usually just run like in L4D game and think that they are invincible. Most of players are spoiled by casual and arcadish games, so they don't like any kind of challenge.

However, I agree on deathmatch. Since big hype on this mod, nearly all players shoot on sight because if you shot first you always end in win-win situation. Players don't need to team up because game is very easy to find a supplies and survive. Players are bored and have no reasons to help other survivors.

Game needs mechanics to punish players for murdering survivors and some kind of rewards for helping each other.

I just can't find anything to do after I gear up and get my kit. Takes me about 1-2 hrs now and I'll have plenty of food/water, a decent sidearm and primary weapon with plenty of ammo for both.

After this, all there is to really do is either mass kill zombies or mass kill players until I die then repeat.

I'll tell you what snipers in treelines have to contend with, then I'll offer you my opinion on the roaming zombies idea.

Snipers have to be aware of "counter-snipers." These are the folks that watch you move to a better position to provide covering fire, overwatch, intel, etc. There is not one single position on the map that will provide complete coverage of your groups current operational area, as well as cover and concealment for you. You will need to move, and in most cases, your enemy will be watching.

There are groups that travel via the treelines, and unless they are within 20-30 meters of you, you will not hear them. Your attention will be drawn to providing coverage to your group, that is immediately in front of you. If you move your line of sight from them, they die because of you. Even if there is one man providing rear security for you, he will be out-manned, out-gunned, and out-thought.

Sitting in one position for long periods of time, may cause you to feel extremely paranoid; twigs snap, birds quickly fly from tress, wind blows and masks footsteps, rain soaks through and causes you to get cold more quickly, etc.

These are only a few of the drawbacks to overwatch/"guardian angel" roles, there are no doubt many more.

Having roaming zombies in the woods would further drag server/game performance down, reveal player positions unjustly, aggravate anyone who thinks about a zombie apocalypse rationally (Why would zombies be in remote locations in the first place, they would be as they are now, in cities. Any secluded place would only have survivors, because it's a secluded place....)

My two cents...

I've been playing for about 2 weeks now and first off this was a great mod and can't wait to see it for ARMA3.

With that said, the appeal of this game is slowly going down and I think it is really my own fault. When I first started I was ultra careful and didn't die for a few many hour play sessions... didn't find a gun for like 6 hours though that was just fine. I was very nervous about zombies so I gave them i wide birth (too wide like wouldn't go into villages). Though once I understood the ranges of their aggro I was able to get by but still really cautious. Skip a head a few awesome game sessions with friends/deaths solo runs getting snipped, etc.. Lots of fun to be had, but the appeal is less because now when I spawn I do this.

I always run with the dayzmap.info on my other monitor

Sprint to my body and try to loot if I died with gear, else sprint to heavy loot areas and make the rounds, if I die w/e I don't have much gear anyway. Zombies are easy enough to avoid (sight ranges may need to be increased drastically? requiring you to crawl more)

Once I get enough gear I'll head out of the cities to military bases for better gear and try to find a vehicle.

I'm no longer cautious and I can basically just run through cities and easily avoid zombies. The caution is not as prevalent.

Teaming up is still pretty fun but the only real threat is other players, which is fine.

(I also feel the medium/high loot areas should be swarming with zombies which would require a coordinated effort to get rid of them before you can loot. It's to easy to just sprint around collecting loot unarmed atm)

I somewhat ruined my experience for later sessions because of the availability of information, I know where everything is and what's there.. the reason I was pushed to the map initially was because it was impossible to group without having the online map, initially I didn't want to use it but could group without it, then I said I wont look at the loot spots and what's there.. that didn't last, now all my friends I play with know the same things... we are now struggling to log on and do more sessions because their isn't anything to discover other than trying to get night vision and maybe set up a base of operations.

Again our own fault because we used the online resources but again my own fault. When ARMA3 comes out i'll be damned if I open up an online map to find something I just hope they figure out how to make grouping easier.

I think people misunderstood my overall point. I am not saying it's a bad thing to start without a gun, nor did I complain in anyway about the current state of the game. Having a gun is in fact completely irrelevant, I was simply using that as an example. I am just saying that the development of the game seems to be making the learning curve greater and greater (thus putting of new players).

The main thing I want people to take away from this is:

We need a better community that is more accommodating to noobs. Anyone noob that posts asking for help instantly gets trolled. I feel that taking away the option for all-chat was a mistake. Most servers didn't use it unless it was a noob server anyway, and I felt it had a huge impact on allowing me to learn more about the game. You could ask questions about the game and have them answered very quickly and efficiently.

We need a better community that allows people to develop friendships and group up outside of the game (be that a forum board or whatever). That way you cannot complain about people shooting on sight, as this is to be expected.

I will start by saying, until I came across this thread I had some reservations about this mod. A friend linked me to a Youtube video about it. I decided to check it out, I was turned off somewhat by what I at first seen on the forums and then realized the game is still in Alpha phase. It looks like the type of zombie game I've been looking for. I am a big fan of Zombie apocalypses, especially how WWZ was done. Outside slow zombies. From the responses to the OP, pro's and con's I am now sold on trying this game and tossing out my original decision to wait until it was out of alpha.

Thanks to the community as well as the devs and server hosts!

**I do have to learn the controls and get used to the style of gameplay**