synergies (DayZ)

This game is becoming less fun.

I don't usually find a game with brilliant concepts and slowly see it degrade through questionable development choices. Before I get buried under a million posts saying that "it's only an alpha" etc etc. I don't want to talk about the current state of the game so much but the future state of it.

I can see the developers situation and their motives. The problem is that there is not enough team play, too much murdering and death-matching going on. Solution: Lets make the game ridiculously hard so that players MUST team up.

This simply doesn't work. I don't find the game so hard at the moment, but for new players, it is near impossible to find a gun let alone survive more than 10 minutes. Guns don't spawn enough near the coast, deathmatchers/bandits/pvpers camp the cities and starting players don't have a gun to even clear out zombies that are spawning in buildings that have loot.

Why does it not work? Because new players try and try again to find a gun, only to fail and quit after only a few hours of playing. I was lucky enough to be in the patches where you start with a gun, when you actually stood a chance at finding loot amongst an army of zombies. I could see how fun it was once you get some basic loot and start exploring. Unfortunately, for my friends who have just started, this is not the case. They tried for a few hours but eventually quit forever before even seeing the fun aspects of the game.

My solution to the problem is far more simple. Don't worry about deathmatchers, don't worry about making people team up. These kinds of influences should be kept out of the game. You cannot stop humans from being assholes when their lives aren't on the line, and because of this, no matter how realistic you make it, people will always shoot on sight.

To summarize my point, we shouldn't worry about shoot on sight rules or teaming up in game. We should do that within the community, on websites and forum boards. That is the only realistic solution to fixing the problem, because there is no way (no matter how hard you try) to stop it happening in-game. Too much realism can kill a game.

This simply doesn't work. I don't find the game so hard at the moment' date=' but for new players, it is near impossible to find a gun let alone survive more than 10 minutes. Guns don't spawn enough near the coast, deathmatchers/bandits/pvpers camp the cities and starting players don't have a gun to even clear out zombies that are spawning in buildings that have loot.

[/quote']

dont want to be offensive ,but so they are bad ,or very new players.And you too

Such a simple step to take and one that every n00ble should respect, play the bloody game more!

I started playing on this patch (1.7.1.5).

Died couple of times at start without finding anything. Was frustrated.

Now driving around with a bike, having tent full of anything I could need. Have only died once since the first few days. (I didn't know driving a traktor to a wall 5km/h would be instant suicide :P).

This sounds like a news article on theonion.com

Local man feels that game has become "less fun"

Prob is that ppl think they have to have a gun to have a blast ... in BF3, of course ... this game, hell no. The reason this game rawks is because of its nature ... survival, discovery, success, failure. If you dont have patience, and a hard on for those things, then this game will NEVER be for you.

TBH, I can goes hours without shooting my gun ... I dont agro a lot of zombies like a n00b anymore ( and theres plenty of buildings, etc that have essential loot, and no zeds ) ... I take my time and stealth about before running across a field or through a city or into a barn ... this game is about patience, and awareness, which frankly, most ppl dont have. They wanna hurry up and get their shit so they can ... yep ... fuckin die.

The devs arent "making" anyone team up, or quit forever ... the nature of this game is sorting out those who like this type of game, and those who dont.

I felt the same way when I started. The very first time that I played I was lucky and had a handgun. I made my way into towns and eventually found a shot gun. Then I got cocky and went to Elektro and had some fun checking the town out. Mind you this was when we were dealing with supper zeds that could see through walls and hear your from miles away. I had fun and looted some stuff. Then I died.

I then spawned without a weapon on the coast away from civilization. I tried the same tactics I looked for a gun as if I already had one to protect my self with. This obviously didn't work, I died again, and again, and again. This cycle happened several times, there was a few days where I was fed up and refused to play the game. Then it hit me I was trying to play it like a video game when in reality this is a simulator. So my tactics changed.

I recalled my military training, SEER training can be applied to the game quite effectively, MOUT works very well too. And success I now had a hatchet and some extra supplies. I made sure not to make the same mistakes that I made before I played cautiously and avoided known hot zones.

This game is slow, and by slow I mean realistically slow. Operations take hours sometimes even days, planning has to go into everything that you do and back ups have to be implemented. One does not simply 'play' DayZ... you live it. I'm now sitting happy with a small camp, an AK cobra and G17, and the ability to create my own food.

I still avoid large cities like the plague, why? Well in real life I would never venture into a city on my own, because I don't trust people.

The game might not be for you, but don't give up on it just because its hard and people are assholes. My goal in the zombie Apocalypse is to survive not become a murdering kleptomaniac.

TL;DR

Man up, its a hard game. Don't quit it because other people ruined it for you.

I find the current starting gear annoying for a variety of reasons (not necessarily the lack of a gun, but the lack of food/water), but honestly, if your friends gave up on the mod completely after a couple hours then they obviously have the attention span of a dead goldfish and wouldn't have stayed for long even if they'd started with AKMs.

Don't think this game is for you OP, and those new players that rage-quit, good riddance I say. This gem of a mod (in the future it's own game hopefully) is not meant for mass appeal. It's meant to be a love it or hate it (more hate then love probably) niche kind of game.

In other words it's tailored to us few hardcore gamers that want a really tough challenge, not the many. To those where the frustration, tension, and rage we feel when we die is what we consider fun and why we play.

If a new player is getting turned off by having to die many times over at the start to learn how to play and survive, well they are playing the wrong game...it's not for them and possibly not for you.

This is one of the few games that when an update comes out that makes the game that much harder, I'm freakin' excited.

When the update got released that had us start with no gun, a flashlight, one bandage, and one painkiller....I respawned even though I was decked out just to start from scratch that way....and it's awesome in my opinion! That first hatchet or gun I find feels just that much more rewarding.

I also think you along with many other players don't grasp the concept that this game is in alpha stage. Cause you bought a game to play this mod you for some reason feel you are entitled to a polished and nearly finished, if not finished game.

It is far from that and I wouldn't say any design choices are bad choices during an alpha. This is when a developer should be trying anything and everything they want rather it seems like a good or bad idea, just to see how it works out.

If you're not playing right now to test the mod out, be a guinea pig, and give FEEDBACK and SUGGESTIONS from your gameplay....then you're ignorant!

You should be glad that in an alpha stage it's even as playable as it is.

I agree the balance should be evened out a bit more. Currently it's very hard to start but very easy once you get outfitted to the point that players go looking for risk because they have nothing else to conquer. It shouldn't be this way; the difficulty should be fairly consistent through-out.

Also some new players will leave no matter what the game does to them. They're just finicky, bored run-and-gunners or the game doesn't honestly entertain them. But the thing people seem to forget is that we've all had the experience in previous patches of surviving more than a day. New players come in and get trampled and then leave, thinking that's all the game has to offer. Whereas we are all trying to get back to that experience that was easier to accomplish before the update.

Simply, we know how good this game can get based on previous experiences, so we tough it out. New players don't have that luxury and everything they see for the first time sharply impacts their opinion of whether it's worth continuing.

As much as my own friends agree with you OP, I'll have to side with the generic come-back horde on this one. To be polite the game in itself is a large training curve for someone who has just come out of your typical FPS and has approached a detailed MilSim for the first time, when I joined this game from a friends input he gave me some words of wisdom that you should pass onto your own friends.

'Prepare not to have fun, until you realise you're having fun.'

People approach this mod with pace in mind, as common game engines are tunnel driven rather than open world it leaves the player to sometimes just stand there and think to themselves: Alright, now what. Theres no arrows, no objectives or for something that is even rarer, allies. You could say this is an alpha, compare his friends who you don't know in the slightest to generic popular games but to a degree everyone can see where he and his friends are coming from.

This game is hard, to be blunt its an alpha and therefore it is riddled with bugs on a regular basis, its a hardcore Fallout thrown into the deep end and laughed at as you flail for dear life.. Its only after nine tries and gritted teeth that you find some ATV randomly set down in the middle of your random running path that you scream like a little school girl. The game doesn't find fun for you, and you are not spoon fed either.. It's all about finding your own fun.

And always, always expect to die.

Richocet:.

This simply doesn't work. I don't find the game so hard at the moment' date=' but for new players, it is near impossible to find a gun let alone survive more than 10 minutes. Guns don't spawn enough near the coast, deathmatchers/bandits/pvpers camp the cities and starting players don't have a gun to even clear out zombies that are spawning in buildings that have loot.

[/quote']

Protip: dont go too cherno or electro. Man up and enter the WILD.

That's the problem with people who want everything handed to them. They come into a new game and find it hard for the first few hours and quit. Instead of finding ways to advance, they simple see an obstacle and turn the other way. For the new players and noobs that have this mentality, they'll never be able to enjoy a great game for what it really is because they don't give it a chance.

I started playing DayZ a week ago, I had almost never opened my Arma II game and was pretty much learning the control when I made my first survivor and I lived for about 10-12 hours on this character. (before climbing in a deer stand and being thrown out of it and breaking my bones and bleeding out to my death).

On subsequent lives, I got shoot and even killed by other survivor for no f***ing reason right in the middle of a field far from everything with not even a gun! I found that stupid and after multiple encounters with other survivors, none of which attempted to talk before they shoot, I realized that the problem is not that the difficulty curve is broken (it needs adjustments tho), but rather that people just don't want to communicate and find that the real challenge of a zombie survival game is more about fighting real people with guns than zombies. Sad but true.

To the OP. This is why melee weapons have been introduced. To bridge the gap between being useless and being able to survive as a new player. The hatchets are ri[/align]fe along the coast.

Im still yet to meet these mythical bandits that prowl the coast. Then again I spawn then head inland ASAP. I did not find suriving with no weopon that much harder then it used to be.

I'm still having fun, and I really only play with one other person every so often. I really think once Dayz is fleshed out more it'll be more enjoyable. The big problem is simply the people who heard about this popular mod and came here expecting it to be like every major developer in the gaming business. Players don't like something, it gets changed. Developers will bend over backwards to fix things that aren't problems because players threaten to quit playing. Games aren't so much game anymore, more like long term business models. Keep players playing and keep them paying.

If someone comes to Dayz, most likely its because they like zombies or open-world games. Gaming blogs have been giving Dayz a lot of attention lately and maybe they should be really clear that the game is a difficult sim. I can understand the sentiment people "want to like this game but...". I get it, you paid $$ for a game that has aspects of what you like but really isn't your thing. Without the knowledge that it's supposed to be "Too Hard", you suggest changes that will take the mod in a different direction. The issue is a lot of people are playing this mod is because they like that it's not for everyone. There are plenty of games designed for everyone to be able to get into, I don't feel this is one of them. Its designed to be unforgiving and "not fair". Some of us like that as it reflects a very realistic situation. I do however apologize that you were put on to a game that wasn't your thing, it's a bitter wasteful feeling.

Now, spawning with nothing has had two effects on gameplay that I love.

1. Vets are wasting their own resources when they kill a newly spawned player. I was attacked after freshly spawning when all I had was painkillers. My attacker put 2 clips of his AK's ammo into me. Just for me to pop my painkillers to spite him. Big waste of his time.

2. You're much less likely to slam the respawn button if you get into a jam.

A broken leg in the wild with a backpack full of gear becomes a struggle for survival because spawning is finally difficult in its own right. Before it was "meh, I'll just respawn with enough gear to find my stuff again". You should not spawn in a survival game with everything you'd need to survive.

Sorry that was so long, had a lot of my mind today.

I love the amount of dumbass trolls on these forums, grow up.

Something NEEDS to happen, if the "deathmatchers" are aloud to just go around killing, this game will slowly die.

There should be a script that, when you kill a player you get an effect.

Zombies are more attracted to you, you wear more distinct clothes (can't hide AS well)

You need more water/food

This should last for tow hours or more of playing, and not go away if you log out.

Once it goes away your clothes change back to whatever you were wearing before.

There should also be a way for people to team up more effectively

I doubt this will be done, but if there was a way for people to just make their own "team"

and have it so they cannot shoot eachother ect.

EDIT:

Would it be possible to make it so you don't break your legs from falling 5 ft.....?

I logged out in a deer stand, logged back into a wrongly marked US west coast server (it was pitch black on the server)

Couldn't get my flashlight to work, fell off while look for the ladder, and just respawned >.<

Just seems dumb to fall 5ft and not be able to walk.

There just need to be some threats in the trees or something. It is too easy to remove yourself from zombie threat range and snipe from 800 range away. While the targets are still in zombie range (cities and towns) the assailant needs some threat as well.

Is it too hard to have roaming packs of zombies out of town?

There just need to be some threats in the trees or something. It is too easy to remove yourself from zombie threat range and snipe from 800 range away. While the targets are still in zombie range (cities and towns) the assailant needs some threat as well.

Is it too hard to have roaming packs of zombies out of town?

It is unrealistic, and would take a LONG time, because they would have to pick out spots all over the map

This sounds like a news article on theonion.com

Local man feels that game has become "less fun"

I just lost the game.

I don't have any real issues with starting out, finding a weapon isn't that hard, just don't go focusing on it too much. You see a barn but it's fill of zombies? Don't take the risk then just to find a hatchet. There's lots of barns in the game and there's also deer stands farther north along the balota, kamenka area which usually have crossbows or shotguns in them after a few run throughs.

Spawning without a weapon was tough the first few times, sure, and some sort of weaker melee weapon might not be a terribly bad thing, but at the same time a massive part of the game is to be stealthy; you just don't have the ammo or the ability to get silenced weapons to survive firefights mid town, anyway, so it can be misleading to make new people focus on weapons instead of stealth from the get go.