Sign in to follow this  
torph (DayZ)

Grace Period

Feel free to shoot this idea down as i'm not sure of whether it's something that could even be applied.

Upon logging in today, I was promptly shot and killed. I heard the shots before I even had a visual on the terrain where I had logged out, basically in a bush right next to a tree in a forest, so i wasn't out in the open. I could neither defend myself or make a retreat to a safer area, essentially I was killed without a single way of preventing it. I'm not unhappy about it, i can gather plenty of resources within the next two hours quite easily, but I could see other being upset if this had happened to them.

What I would propose is a 15-30 second period of time whereby I cannot be damaged by another player, or likewise I could not damage them (a simple way to discourage 'ghosting' as well). Zombies however would be be able to attack me as well as me being able to attack them, my suggestion is simply a way to ensure a chancer cannot get the cheapest of all kills.

Anyway like I said, feel free to shoot it down or even discuss if you've had similar experiences, but do try to be civil at least. Maybe you're the guy with the silenced automatic that killed me? Either way, let the opinions flow.. in a civilised manner please!

Same happened to me. Was looting in cherno, server restarted and when I logged back in 10minutes later, I died instantly.

Here's a reason why it won't work :

Barrack farmers will now be invincible for the time they spend checking the barracks. This would make the server hoppers invincible.

Or you could have made sure you logged out in a completely safe area. You are going to lose your gear, it sucks, its unfortunate and it happens, but in my opinion Day Z is not the place for something like this.

Or you could have made sure you logged out in a completely safe area. You are going to lose your gear' date=' it sucks, its unfortunate and it happens, but in my opinion Day Z is not the place for something like this.

[/quote']

A fair enough statement and something I agree with. However, the place I logged out was about as safe a place you might find, without giving the location away. So in my opinion, the safety of the location is non-applicable in this instance, it was incredibly bad luck.

As stated, it's not about losing gear, i can scrabble together a full inventory within two hours, and have done since the OP. However, it is about being able to defend yourself fairly, and in this case I was unable to do so. The grace period would allow me to check my surroundings, ensure i'm safe and then allow me to decide what my next move is without having a few new holes drilled into my skull. ::)

Now as for the earlier point about barracks looters, the way to prevent this would again be to disallow picking items up during the grace period, or maybe picking an item up would forfeit your grace period? I dunno, i'm sure there are better answers.

Anyway I respect your opinions regardless of whether I agree with them or not! :D

I would normally support this, but this would also encourage server hoppers to continue wallowing in their filth, which i think is a worse problem.

Server hoppers don't need more advantage' date=' also dc'ers.

[/quote']

agreed to this

1 char per server

bleeding offline

stops all server hopper

DC lame ass mother fuckers

Problems fucking solved

This would be the ghoster's dream. The problem with ghosting is the chance you might get shot when you log in. Lets take that away from them. If this is implemented ghosters would have nothing to fear. They'd log in any old place and if they get spotted they'd log out and try again.

Bad idea.

I would normally support this' date=' but this would also encourage server hoppers to continue wallowing in their filth, which i think is a worse problem.

[/quote']

I defiantly agree with this. As much as it pisses me off dying when I re spawn in a safe area, the disadvantages to something such as this are far greater then the advantages.