Sputnik (DayZ)

Gun movement is not synchronized with crosshair...

When you move your weapon left/right/up/down is lags behind and not synced to the center of your screen (crosshair)... It feels terrible and unnatural in my opinion and keeps me away from dayz...

Question is: is it a bug or a new feature?

Thank you

"Crosshair" is currently a placeholder.

It doesn't point where your bullet will hit either.

It is there to help you take items from top of the high shelfs.

• Like 5

"Crosshair" is currently a placeholder.

It doesn't point where your bullet will hit either.

It is there to help you take items from top of the high shelfs.

That's not what I wanted to know, sorry ;)

That's not what I wanted to know, sorry ;)

Ahem

Let me rephrase what he said.

It isn't made or optimized for shooting.

Use your iron sights, and zero your weapon.

• Like 2

Its a feature, been in for a few patches. Also from what I've read, they are going to remove crosshairs eventually.

It's a new prototypical feature called gun sway. Makes the gun turn slower than the character.

It's a new prototypical feature called gun sway. Makes the gun turn slower than the character.

btw

As someone who handles ARs/M4s regularly

If your gun sways as you turn, you are either incredibly weak or never used a gun before.

Like, seriously. The M4 is only around 9 pounds.

• Like 3

btw

If your gun sways as you turn, you are either incredibly weak or never used a gun before.

Everyone knows the gunplay makes no sense. Even the lighter weapons sway a lot when squared up. Edited by hotcakes
  • Like 1

166a967bf5.jpg

It is a feature and a good one too.

Stops the game from being a twitch shooter best new addition imo.

Combined with the removal of the crosshair + stamina it will lead to some good firefights.

I'd argue that most guns need to turn faster. The AKM doesn't weigh THAT much and it has more severe sway than the M4.

I want the guns to feel like they're being jerked around. The current sway is like your character has spaghetti arms.

• Like 2

166a967bf5.jpg

It is a feature and a good one too.

Stops the game from being a twitch shooter best new addition imo.

Combined with the removal of the crosshair + stamina it will lead to some good firefights.

The weapon lag would be good if it was JUST the sights- that's realism. Instead, the whole weapon has to turn.

When you move your weapon left/right/up/down is lags behind and not synced to the center of your screen (crosshair)... It feels terrible and unnatural in my opinion and keeps me away from dayz...

Question is: is it a bug or a new feature?

Thank you

The gun lagging behind is a feature, for instance m4 with plastic parts is lighter and will lag less behind then a full metal m4, Akm is heavyer than the mp5 so akm will lag behind, mp5 light cqb weapon so it will almost stay spot on.

It is the weapons weight that influences the drag. 

Does this answer your question?

btw

I think it should be similar to what arma 3 has.

• Like 2

The weapon lag would be good if it was JUST the sights- that's realism. Instead, the whole weapon has to turn.

I don't follow is the weapon not attached to the sights thus would need to lag behind too ?

Ahem

Let me rephrase what he said.

It isn't made or optimized for shooting.

Use your iron sights, and zero your weapon.

Looks like you missed my point as well... I don't care about crosshair at all, I care about the gun lags behind your mouse movement which makes no sense!

Looks like you missed my point as well... I don't care about crosshair at all, I care about the gun lags behind your mouse movement which makes no sense!

Makes perfect sense.

Guns have weight and people do not move and aim weapons in real life like they do in standard fps.

Dayz is not a twitch shooter, it is not battlefield, call of duty or counter strike , it borders on being a simulation thus even something like shooting tries to mimic real life.

• Like 1

Makes perfect sense.

Guns have weight and people do not move and aim weapons in real life like they do in standard fps.

Dayz is not a twitch shooter, it is not battlefield, call of duty or counter strike , it borders on being a simulation thus even something like shooting tries to mimic real life.

Any shooter is a twitch shooter, especially dayz... when two players bump into each other, it's all about the twitch and current/new gun movement mechanic is ruining the gun play... It always felt terrible, now it feel even worst...

Any shooter is a twitch shooter, especially dayz... when two players bump into each other, it's all about the twitch and current/new gun movement mechanic is ruining the gun play... It always felt terrible, now it feel even worst...

It is not ruining anything if anything it improves it tenfold.

Now finally there is an advantage for using a pistol or a light smg at close quarters compared to say a heavy assault rifle with tons of accessories or a lmg.

The new system is fantastic and it adds greatly needed depth to the game.

• Like 2

Gun play is terrible only if you try to play it like twitch shooter  ;) .

If you think about it, you would "move" MP5 faster then longer and heavier AKM or M16.

Let's also not forget it is a game. Some mechanics might be a bit clunky, but they usualy have meaning.

In case of gun lagging behind cursor this mechanics should make lighter weapons better for close combat, since they do not lag that much.

Personally I like this gun dexterity thingie. I would hate it in Counter Strike or BF, but in Arma or DayZ I'm all for it.

edit: And before I finish my post and mention CQB, Gibonez beats me to it O_o.

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 2

If you're carrying a rifle in the proper position for aiming and firing, you can swing it around fairly quick. The delay currently in-game is extremely over exaggerated. 

• Like 1

I've solved my weapon "sway lag".

I don't carry a long gun. Will hunt for a Longhorn today, though sniping holds little interest for me.

That said, IRL my long guns vary in "lag". My "tactical" rifle and I pivot as one when properly shouldered. Longer "hunting rifles" delay a bit but certainly not as much as ingame. Ingame is more like firing from the waist. I believe they will dial it back well before beta.

Edit : title refers to "cross hairs". Confusing misnomer.

Dot reticle or center dot.

Edited by MarchHare

A few months back we had some kind of "speed limiter" for turning which resulted in strange feeling and even negative mouse acceleration. Many including me were complainig about that behaviour. What we have now is a compromise. You can now turn fast and the mouse behaves similar to other shooters but the weapon movement is delayed because the devs don´t want you to make 180° turns + headshot in a tenth of a second like in UT or CS. I think it´s a good solution so far.

Oh, forgot the crosshair...... Yeaah, it isn´t meant for aiming.

Edited by lauda

A few months back we had some kind of "speed limiter" for turning which resulted in strange feeling and even negative mouse acceleration. Many including me were complainig about that behaviour. What we have now is a compromise. You can now turn fast and the mouse behaves similar to other shooters but the weapon movement is delayed because the devs don´t want you to make 180° turns + headshot in a tenth of a second like in UT or CS. I think it´s a good solution so far.

Oh, forgot the crosshair...... Yeaah, it isn´t meant for aiming.

What we have now is not a compromise but instead a game mechanic taken from Arma 3 that solves a long standing problem with arma games and fps in general.

It solves the problem of not treating short barreled light weight weapons with their only real advantage over say a longer rifle or lmg, it makes them much faster to wield and thus better for CQC like in real life.

People don't prefer the m4 over the m16 because it looks cooler, they prefer because it is better for clearing houses those extra 6 inches of barrel on the m16 really gets in the way.

This is also just another case of Arma 3 having a good effect on dayz , hopefully they add the stamina system that was recently added too, it would work especially well in dayz I am interested in seeing how it affects player migration around the map and behavior.

Would be interesting to see if the addition of stamina makes people not bother sprinting full speed towards their usual pvp towns and has them explore their vicinity more.

Edited by gibonez

What we have now is not a compromise but instead a game mechanic taken from Arma 3 that solves a long standing problem with arma games and fps in general.

It solves the problem of not treating short barreled light weight weapons with their only real advantage over say a longer rifle or lmg, it makes them much faster to wield and thus better for CQC like in real life.

People don't prefer the m4 over the m16 because it looks cooler, they prefer because it is better for clearing houses those extra 6 inches of barrel on the m16 really gets in the way.

This is also just another case of Arma 3 having a good effect on dayz , hopefully they add the stamina system that was recently added too, it would work especially well in dayz I am interested in seeing how it affects player migration around the map and behavior.

Would be interesting to see if the addition of stamina makes people not bother sprinting full speed towards their usual pvp towns and has them explore their vicinity more.

If it was taken from arma 3, it wouldn't be crap. I'm sorry but what we have now is crap.

Don't get me wrong I am REALLY happy we have this instead of mouse accel, w/ no sway. It's just....people think what we have now is realistic and it doesn't need to be changed, when it's quite the opposite.

Along with MarchHare, I use AR's often as well. At no point, has my weapon "lagged" behind when I make a quick/sharp turn. Hell, I have even ran time trials with a M1A and I always kept the rifle pulled tight against my shoulder and it stayed on a 1:1 ratio with me.

Arma 3 presents a very nice sway mechanic and I think rocket should take some notes from it. If DayZ had a VERY similar movement system to Arma 3, I think more people would play just due to that.

Edited by SFRGaming

If it was taken from arma 3, it wouldn't be crap. I'm sorry but what we have now is crap.

Don't get me wrong I am REALLY happy we have this instead of mouse accel, w/ no sway. It's just....people think what we have now is realistic and it doesn't need to be changed, when it's quite the opposite.

Along with MarchHare, I use AR's often as well. At no point, has my weapon "lagged" behind when I make a quick/sharp turn. Hell, I have even ran time trials with a M1A and I always kept the rifle pulled tight against my shoulder and it stayed on a 1:1 ratio with me.

Arma 3 presents a very nice sway mechanic and I think rocket should take some notes from it. If DayZ had a VERY similar movement system to Arma 3, I think more people would play just due to that.

Arma 3 has the same weight based system as dayz.

Not just gun sway something that Dayz severely lacks atm.

All I am saying is the gun momentum , dexterity , and weight system all are far better than what we had before and with some refinement it can be perfected but even then its darn good right now and see little flaws in the current implementation.

Right now it offers certain weapon types a very noticeable advantage at close quarters while still giving the other weapons enough responsiveness to be viable at short distances.

It simply feels right.