Marou_

Compressed day/night cycle?

I realize this game is going for ultra-realism, but during the week I can only really play after 9pm; and of course get the best ping to geographically close servers.

Any odds that this will ever go for a compressed day/night cycle? Maybe x6 speed (4 hour days) or something? I'd love everyone to have to experience how crazy hard night is, but more than that I'd like to be able to have some daytime play with a <100 ping during the weekdays.

Regards,

Marou

I am not against the current way things are.

But I am for this, or something like this.

I know there are people who scream for realism and want the full day night cycles, but it's still a game. And logging in every evening and only getting to play night time isn't really that fun.

It would also add more "we should move over that side of the map to that factory for supplies when it's nightfall, we'll be more under cover" or "we should get out of here before it's daylight" which right now doesn't really apply because the cycle is so long.

Logging in EVERY day and having to play moonless nights isn't fun after a couple of days.

I realize this game is going for ultra-realism' date=' but during the week I can only really play after 9pm; and of course get the best ping to geographically close servers.

Any odds that this will ever go for a compressed day/night cycle? Maybe x6 speed (4 hour days) or something? I'd love everyone to have to experience how crazy hard night is, but more than that I'd like to be able to have some daytime play with a <100 ping during the weekdays.

Regards,

Marou

[/quote']

one solution: have servers that are still on the 24 hour clock, but have those servers set for day time at night and vice versa...

Yeah I agree, it doesn't have to change every 30min but maybe a day cycle of 6h? It's still a long time and it would be more fun in my opinion

some of the dallas servers are set back 6 hours, and i know for sure virginia 7 runs an inverse timeschedule

some of the dallas servers are set back 6 hours' date=' and i know for sure virginia 7 runs an inverse timeschedule

[/quote']

That may be the case but to me it's kind of wussing out to just say, "I'll always play daytime". Putting the servers on a compressed time schedule would force more interesting decisions. If the cycle is short enough people even might decide to *hole up somewhere* until the next day. That's not a realistic play decision with a realtime duration night.

People! :facepalm:

SEARCH before you post please. There are already AT LEAST TWO threads in Suggestions about this. And yours didn't add anything new.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=18&highlight=day+night

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1418&highlight=day+night

If you bothered to read them, you would see Adam mention there are currently no plans for changing the 12/12 cycle.

People! :facepalm:

SEARCH before you post please. There are already AT LEAST TWO threads in Suggestions about this. And yours didn't add anything new.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=18&highlight=day+night

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1418&highlight=day+night

If you bothered to read them' date=' you would see Adam mention there are currently no plans for changing the 12/12 cycle.

[/quote']

That was in the past, more people are playing now, who will likely have more input. If you were a moderator I'd understand your directing me how to use the boards and merging threads if you wished. Since you aren't, I'd point out nobody likes a forum warrior.

Since there are probably a hundred more people here even *today* than there were yesterday, and that much more feedback, and it hasn't been commented on by a dev since April, it's probably a topic worth revisiting.

To *me* having day/night play a factor in my gameplay decisions would be very compelling. I can deal with how it works now, but it's not as interesting as it would be with more variety in a play session. Which could mean compressed day/night cycles of some kind. *Even were it an optional server type*

Ergo, I appreciate how realistic darkness is; but it's not realistic for my character to be wandering into towns looking for gear in pitch blackness. In this case the *real time* progression makes the simulation less realistic.

The only way a 24 hour cycle is realistic is if you're playing for 24 hours a day. Since I'm not playing the game all day, the fact that my character only persists during a certain time is silly and completely breaks immersion when I'm unable to experience a proper day/night cycle. It feels a little weird that my character will never see morning, noon, or midnight. A 24 hour cycle simply does not match up with normal play time of a few hours.

I suggest an offset 10 hour cycle. A system of 5 hours of daylight and 5 hours of night fits long play times and assures that logging in at the same time every day will offer variety. This way players get to experience the effects of time and it'll feel like the days are actually moving along instead of it always being, say, Monday afternoon.

I sure hope no one listens to this i think the day/night cycle is perfectly implemented and shouldn't be touched, im constantly looking at the clock to see the time pass and playing 9 hours strait game sessions help with watching the day pass or night move on, the morning never felt so good.

How many fucking day/night cycle length posts do we need? Leave it how it is.

No thanks, I like the cycle the way it is.

The ultra, still not realistic darkness is in need of a change though.

Just find servers that run on daylight when you're playing, there should be plenty, even in your region. Also, 100 something ping is very manageable in ARMA 2, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm all for a compressed day/night cycle. As others have stated, I too can only play at night and wouldn't mind seeing some daytime in game. Even if it's 48 hours in game for every 24 hour real time.

A shorter day/night cycle would have the benefit of fitting properly with the current hunger/thirst rate. As it is, I shouldn't have to eat a can of Spaghettios every 30 minutes if the world is in real time.

I'm new to this game but not new to gaming. and when I got it downloaded tonight and started to play it was pitch dark. This was my first time playing I was lost and confused, yea I should of waited or done some tutorials, but I'm no noob at gaming and can normally get a game down (with Controls) pretty fast. I hope they decide to tweak this a little bit as well, for me being a new player and only being able to play at night ..

I like the idea of it being night but it would be nice to be able to play during the day. I know I will probably get fleeced by regulars but if you (developers) want more regulars why not at least tweak the system a little. I know you want it all real life and such but when you get someone new to the game like myself on to play and only can play at nights it's a huge turn off for me.. I don't get to experience what some people will in the day.. thanks for reading if you did.

All you need are servers that are not set for their local time. Set up an East coast server that has Malaysia time or something. Night = Day, which would be perfect people like me that don't have time during the day.

At first I wanted compressed times, but I like the realistic day/night a lot more. It's just more servers gotta change the default time back 4-6 hours.

Even though it is possible to script missions to use compressed time this has been tried a few times in a heavily loaded multiplayer environment in the past with horrible results. If you want a game that will desync every 5 seconds (meaning only thing you see is a red chain all the time) then yes, lets compress time. If you want a playable MP experience then it is not technically possible to make the time run faster without serious problems with the server. Just something the Arma engine cannot cope with.

I'd bet money that the people saying "no it's fine" are able to play at different times. Those that can only play say in the evenings, and have to endure pitch black moonless nights every play session or endure a 150 ping I'd say are more than justified in suggesting a change.

It's not even just that, but like I and others have already said, compressed day night cycle would add more to the experience, getting somewhere before nightfall or sunrise etc, planning ahead to use the cover of darkness, which right now isn't really applicable because the cycle is so long.

Currently the only servers I've found that are daytime during night time on all the other EU servers is SE, but they hit night time too within 2 or 3 hours. If more servers had reversed night cycles so we could atleast get to experience some more daylight in our playtimes, I wouldn't be as fussed.

Rocket has categorically stated that he will never change the day / night cycles.

Also, playing in the day time is a fools game, you might be able to see well but so can everyone else. Night is the only way to play (if you want to stay alive)