sr69mm-jc

DayZ + 'Vegetation Tweak Visuals'? [optimization]

So let's get this straight: overall my PC is pretty decent but my graphics card is completely not. Say hello to my GeForce 7600 GT with 256 MBs of video memory. As a result, DayZ is simply unplayable to me and I cannot afford a new graphics card right now so I'm looking for possible solutions for the time being. At this point I don't want all of us to go offtopic so I'd like to go ahead and ensure you that I did all I could - including setting *all* settings to minimum, having a crapload of launch parameters, tweaking the config files, and stuff like that.

Back on the actual topic, I've recently stumbled upon an Arma 2 addon called PROPER Vegetation Tweak Visuals.

While I can describe my FPS in cities as "seriously terrible", my FPS in forests is even several times as worse. So I thought installing this crap may improve my experience, but..

1) First things first, is it possible that I get banned for messing with this? I mean I'm afraid the game might take this as texture hack or something, right?

2) How do I even freaking install and run it. Do I need to create @thismod/Addons folder in Arma2, put the .pbo files in there and write some additional launch parameter? Or what..

3) People have been reporting that this addon has a side effect of removing collision with trees completely. T_T So this is another reason for me to worry about a possible ban. Should I feel safe about it in first place?

Thanks for ya time.

Your gfx card doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for the game. I suspect even using this mod won't do a whole lot for you.

It's still worth a shot to try everything I can do; I don't just want to sit back and forget about DayZ for an unknown period of time.

Dude, go drop 200$ on a decent mid range card, Arma2 will run fine! I remember trying to play it on my old ass 7900 and crying at the horrible FPS.

dude if you dont upgrade your card your going to have to deal with 5 fps. Simple as that. You need to just upgrade your card as nothing is really going to boost your frames. Check out ebay there is some good prices there and as long as you find someone with a high rating and an actual picture of the card you can get a good deal. The auctions will get you a good deal most of the time. Some people dust and polish there cards on a daily basis and will look brand new. Check it out.

Dude i have ah Galaxy Factory 8600GT factory Overclocked i have also increased that overclock even with everything set to the minimum and the over clock taking in the launch parameters, tweaks and using game booster 3....

my game runs only at 25fps constantly it drops to about 17fps in forests, my suggestion to you is save money up and buy a new card or sell some stuff on ebay and get money that way what ever's easier

lucky for me ill be upgrading to an 670 GTX 2GB soon so i won;t have to worry about low fps

So many posts began with "Dude' date='..." in this thread lol.

[/quote']

'Dude' works well when you are trying to convey friendly exasperation in your tone.

It's still worth a shot to try everything I can do; I don't just want to sit back and forget about DayZ for an unknown period of time.

I've been there before. Getting a new card just isn't an option for various reasons and you just really want to play a game. Problem is, those guys are right, you need a new card, no getting around it. You don't meet the requirements, and nothing can change that :*(

I suppose you could just try it out, but right now you should accept that the game won't run well at all, and be surprised by a miracle otherwise.

I don't see how getting a new card isn't an option... You can get some good cards for very little money. It will allow you to play the latest games (albeit not maxed out) for example the the AMD HD Radeon 7770 costs what £107 and will be far better than what you have now, hell you could even go all out and get the 7870/7850.

From my own experience, don't expect a miracle to happen, because it won't simple as that.

I used to play the game with that tweak, and I personally didn't see a difference in framerate while in forests. Also, what CPU do you have? The game hits your processor pretty hard and if you don't have a decent one, you'll be getting some pretty low fps even with a better card.

If the server you are trying to join does not allow the mods you are running, you will be unable to join the server. The mod you are talking about will be useless to you, not only for this reason, but because any gains you would get from it will still not offset the fact that you do not meet the basic system requirements.

Alrights guys, thank you for the support :) Looks like I'm actually low on options here for real.

As for the rest of system specs I got 2 GBs of memory and intel core 2 CPU @ 2.14 GHz. Yeah, I believe that must be enough to run Arma 2 on at least low settings; it's just the damned graphics card which I should've upgraded a long time ago anyway.

P.S. It's just that I don't pass minimum requirements for several new games out there either, yet I was still able to find out soluitions to enjoy them at a decent framerate. Don't really care much about visuals. Looks like ArmA 2 is going to be an exception here, however. Okay then.

Thanks again and /end of thread. :)