Sign in to follow this  
Kaboki

Increase the range on walkie talkies, please...

I finally was lucky to find 2 sets of walkie talkies and gave one to my friend so It's the first time since I got SA that I have been able to test them(I was thinking for a long time that maybe they where a myth). Was kinda dissapointed with the range, pretty much useless at it's current state. No wonder I never have been able to make contact with anyone, because it's so unlikely that there are any in my coverage that carries them and have it on. If the range was a little better it could actually have been a fun tool and useful..

Please, increase the range...

I heard they are gonna do that and increase it to 30km. ATM its a measy 1km.

lol, but walkie talkies usually have a fairly close proximity of effect. there are of course higher power ones but really i think the idea with them is to have them when teaming so as to be able to communicate in game with people and avoid using direct and close proximity to coordinate movement within towns etc, and also to help prevent being listened in on when in said areas

1km still beats the crap out of the normal direct chat range. Walkies are not cell phones, I honestly don't think they should reach 30km unless you're standing on top of one of the castles.

Hang on... isn't the entire map only like 15x15km anyway? I don't think they should reach 30km under any circumstances whatsoever.

I know that range is theoretically possible, but as has been pointed out many times there's gotta be a line between gameplay and realism, you shouldn't be able to communicate between the two furthest possible points on the map with mountain ranges inbetween and whatnot.

My suggestion is that walkies have unlimited Line of Sight range, but when line of sight is blocked (by something big, not trees or shrubs- I mean rock formations, buildings, and mountains) range should drop to maybe 500m-1km. (maybe even a switch between 1W and 2W output, scaling battery usage and range depending on which is selected).

Edited by zeeabo

Handheld radios (aka walkie talkies) are generally what we in the biz call 'line of sight' radios.  That means if you can see your target, you can probably talk to them (don't make me go into free space loss equations please...).  Unfortunately, radio waves are not as simple as that.  They can also bend around things, bounce off things, get absorbed by other stuff, and even channel through the atmosphere to distant places.  For the sake of the game, I think they should use these two easy rules:

a. If two radios are within 1 km of each other then they should be able to talk, regardless of what is between you.

b. if you draw a straight line between two walkies and it intersects the ground, then you can't communicate.  Otherwise, you can.

Basically this lets you communicate farther than 1 km so long as you have line of sight' -- more or less.

Edited by Rigor Mortis

lol, but walkie talkies usually have a fairly close proximity of effect. there are of course higher power ones but really i think the idea with them is to have them when teaming so as to be able to communicate in game with people and avoid using direct and close proximity to coordinate movement within towns etc, and also to help prevent being listened in on when in said areas

Had a handheld walkie talkie from the freaking 70's in real life, I could talk over 15km with it.... 1km is just ridiciulous, even the cheap ones for kids have better range than that...

I taught the whole point with them was to replace sidechat and maybe hook up with strangers....in a more realistic way....

Handheld radios (aka walkie talkies) are generally what we in the biz call 'line of sight' radios.  That means if you can see your target, you can probably talk to them (don't make me go into free space loss equations please...).  Unfortunately, radio waves are not as simple as that.  They can also bend around things, bounce off things, get absorbed by other stuff, and even channel through the atmosphere to distant places.  For the sake of the game, I think they should use these two easy rules:

a. If two radios are within 1 km of each other then they should be able to talk, regardless of what is between you.

b. if you draw a straight line between two walkies and it intersects the ground, then you can't communicate.  Otherwise, you can.

Basically this lets you communicate farther than 1 km so long as you have line of sight' -- more or less.

Don't be such smartass when you don't know what you're talking about.... With a more powerful stationary one you can actually talk across the globe if you have a good antenna and the athmospheric conditions are right... Yes I know what im talking about, been into that stuff myself when I was younger....(been an unlicenced radio amatour)

If you where talking about VHF(very high frequency) radios the line of sight argument is true.....

Edited by Kaboki

I heard they are gonna do that and increase it to 30km. ATM its a measy 1km.

This is only temporary but yes, the range will be increased to 30km for the time being.

This is only temporary but yes, the range will be increased to 30km for the time being.

Thanks for the 'official heads up'