Sign in to follow this  
Theheroicbandit

Heroic Actions(why must we all bandit?)

I have run into many ass-hats and I have just been playing the game for the past few weeks. 

Who are these ass-hats?  People who KOS?  People who talk like moron's and taunt for no good reason than to taunt because they're anonymous?  There's a big difference between the two.  Just because you KOS doesn't make you an ass-hat.

I am already immensely irritated at the amount of people that do KoS. It's disgusting because though this is a game, it really does paint a picture of what people would do in a real situation like this. In fact, in real life, I fear it might be even worse.

I didn't know a video game was representative of real-life actions.  Just because I KOS in this video game doesn't mean I am that way in real-life.  Just because I don't want to help out people who are NOT part of my group does not make me a bad person, a jerk or an ass-hat.

My policy: I use direct communication and clearly say "peaceful! Don't shoot! Peaceful!" when I see a player. If they are not AFK and I can tell they can hear me, I fire warning shots and defend myself. If they take out their gun / shoot, I obviously shoot them. If they ignore me and mind their own business, I ignore them, of course. I never KoS.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, or insinuate anything, but how has this approached worked for you?  I tend to ignore anyone that states those words.  People can say whatever they like in this video game and then do the exact opposite.  I tend to not give them a chance at any decision at all.

I have already had a few times where somebody made out to be peaceful just to shoot me in the back minutes later.

I guess the above approach didn't work out too well for you.

These people are either noobs with guns or just jerks looking for joy from other's pain.

That's mighty judgemental of you when you don't even know the player.  Did said player act like an idiot before shooting you?

My responses in green.

Bottom line is this is a video game in a sand box world where people can do as they wish. If someone wants to spend their days chopping tree's down they can.  If they want to collect and horde as much gear as they can, they have that right to.  If someone wants to go around trying to heal everyone they see, they can do that to.  If someone wants to shoot any person they see on sight, they have that right to do so as well.  If it wasn't allowed then the developers would not have put any weapons in into the game.

In short, people are free to play the game as they see fit because the game allows them to.  It is not indicative of what would happen in the real world, nor does it mean that someone who shoots on sight is a jerk or an ass-hat.  Yes, there are jerks and ass-hats in game, but that tends to be how the person behaves, not because they shot you.

My responses in green.

Bottom line is this is a video game in a sand box world where people can do as they wish. If someone wants to spend their days chopping tree's down they can.  If they want to collect and horde as much gear as they can, they have that right to.  If someone wants to go around trying to heal everyone they see, they can do that to.  If someone wants to shoot any person they see on sight, they have that right to do so as well.  If it wasn't allowed then the developers would not have put any weapons in into the game.

In short, people are free to play the game as they see fit because the game allows them to.  It is not indicative of what would happen in the real world, nor does it mean that someone who shoots on sight is a jerk or an ass-hat.  Yes, there are jerks and ass-hats in game, but that tends to be how the person behaves, not because they shot you.

1. Yes. The people that KOS are ass hats. That is not a fact, but it is an opinion shared by most of the DayZ community that doesn't kill on sight. Not saying that makes it a fact, but you can't really call me out for calling people who go around killing everyone for no reason ass hats.

I am not one of those people that says we should make people play certain ways. I stay away from servers that say "peaceful! pve!" or so on and I hate it when servers actually attempt to enforce rules against people that do kill on sight. It's still being a douche-bag.

2. In this case, it kind of is.

Yes, there are not zombies in real life, yes, many parts of the game are indeed fictional. But, this game is very, very realistic in many ways. I'm not saying if you KOS or act like a crazy person in the game, you are a serial killer in real life, I'm just saying it saddens me the way many people act in the game and I fear the way people would act in real life. I'm not stating a fact, I'm saying I'm disappointed.

3. Indeed, it has! I have made one friend that I now play games with and talk to on a regular basis. I have also done trading and teamed up with people and come across many interesting and friendly situations in the game. Though, I have had more negative situations.

How do you think all of those Youtubers (Mr. Moon, Frankie, Syndicate, etc...) get into good situations? Granted, they are better at the game than me, and are better at being safe when coming across other players, but they still don't just go up to people and blow their fucking heads off without so much as a word.

4. Nah, it did. Read above. I have made a really great friend and have teamed up with several really awesome people just from not being an ass hole to everyone I came across.

5. It probably is, but I am indeed a judgmental person most of the time, so no surprise there. Sorry if you KOS all the time and I offended you. ;)

But, I can't help but wonder, WHY are these people killing me? The other day, I was killed whilst geared up to the teeth, and re-spawned. Completely fresh start. I had nothing. Started looting some buildings, shot in the leg from ~70m. Very calmly, "hey. whoever did that... I literally just spawned. Could you not shoot me? Thanks." Shot again. Dead. ........ WHY? I almost have to wonder if they are afraid. Are they literally just so bad at the game that they are afraid I will somehow magically kill them? What is their reasoning behind it? That is why I draw judgmental conclusions, because I feel that people KOS a lot of the time, out of fear and cowardliness.

I must say, I can be slightly hypocritical. This is a trying game, and I have at times, been KOS'd so many times that I have decided to do so myself. Though I can count the amount of times I have killed another player on one finger. 

It's difficult to play the game as a hero, who saves people, gives away their guns, and makes friends. It's pretty damn easy to just kill every single person you come across without even attempting to talk.

As I said, this game needs people who KOS. I love interesting situations, both good and bad. But KOSing is not INTERESTING. DayZ would be a pretty horrible game if everyone were to just KOS. Hostage situations, stealing blood, making friends, teaming up against clans, is what makes this game interesting. Sorry if you don't agree with me (no really, I truly am sorry, what's it like?). (JUST KIDDING, I'M KIDDING, that was mean.)

Edit: One quick note on your last sentence, "how the person behaves, not because they shot you". 

I, personally, have to disagree. I much rather come across somebody who is annoying, funny, stupid, think of any adjective you find annoying besides homicidal, than somebody that shoots me. I might be weird, I probably am, but that's just me!

Edited by angel_eyes42

I'd KoS to become a really hot chick's ass-hat ;)

Apart from that I rarely KoS.