Rage VG

Good friend of mine just started his own YouTube channel and wants your input on his video (DayZ gameplay)

My good friend Kristofen had been wanting to do videos on DayZ and others for a really long time but due to his broken computer couldn't even run Minesweeper. He's finally got his setup fixed and is going 110% into his new channel. I'd like to do my part and help him get exposure through this wonderful community, and I hope you guys can help guide him towards being a great content creator with advice and constructive criticisms.

He's working real hard and when I heard how excited he got at his first100 views my heart jumped when I realized I could potentially help him get upwards of thousands like you guys did for my video a long while back.

Hey, Rage after I've been working on youtube vids on the "Sobieski Channel" ill go ahead and pass on advice. 

Pros / Cons of your friends video. 

Pro

* Great attitude

* Great character

* The humor was good and it kept making me watch more of the content.

* Good time, allot of people don't like long videos, unless you talk allot and have good action in all the gaps.

Cons

* The begging for likes and subscribers.

- This might just be my personal opinion, but let the viewer decide him-self if he likes the video or not.

- As for getting subscribers, keep making interesting content and you will gradually build up a following of which is interested in your videos.

I generally started with a couple videos and I've got a small group of subscribers but.

* I did have a video of which tbh, caught me by surprise. Of which allot of people liked and enjoyed the content.

- Thus came allot of likes and subscribers, let the viewers decide. 

this is the vid btw that really started my channel.

Other suggestions. 

* You could have the most amazing video in the world, but unless you advertise... the chances for people to see your content is low.

I personally use four places to advertise the video, I'd also suggest not re-posting content for that will annoy the viewers.

* DayZ Forums Gallery 

* DayZTV

* DayZ Reddit

* DayZ Steam forums.

Careful with DayZ Reddit, they can both make or break videos with the whole upvote / downvote system.

Best of luck in making more videos.

• Like 3

He needs to record in full screen, 16:9 isn't it? ( I'm talking about the black bits on the side of the screen ) 

He needs to record in full screen, 16:9 isn't it? ( I'm talking about the black bits on the side of the screen ) 

He might need to lower his resolution, due to his system.

He might need to lower his resolution, due to his system.

He should buy a better computer then.

If you look at all the big youtubers they all play on max settings.

• Like 1

-snip-

Thank you for the great input.

I personally agree that asking for likes and subs at the end felt a little off for me but I wouldn't say it's begging. The general advice is to remind people to do it if they like it, and he told me it felt natural to do it.

Though I don't feel it's fair to put that last con down as a con as it seems more like general advice, one I feel he's following for the most part.

As with the advertising, he's been doing a rather good job of that too, and when I saw his DayZ video I was inclined to help. I've sent him this thread so that he can see the sites you suggested for his DayZ vids.

He should buy a better computer then.

If you look at all the big youtubers they all play on max settings.

His computer is fine for pretty much everything else and he's not a DayZ-centered channel so for the most part it suits its purpose.

But yeah, better quality is a no-brainer and I'm sure that whenever he figures out how to improve it he will.

• Like 2

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

I actually had fucked up in vegas which is the black bars. Thanks for it, and I didn't really think it was begging for likes and subs. Just something I do, ;-;

Feels natural to just say "If you liked this and enjoyed yourself," kinda stuff.

My PC is pretty good as well, but yeah I need to fondle it around.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

I actually had fucked up in vegas which is the black bars. Thanks for it, and I didn't really think it was begging for likes and subs. Just something I do, ;-;

Feels natural to just say "If you liked this and enjoyed yourself," kinda stuff.

My PC is pretty good as well, but yeah I need to fondle it around.

I've subbed you just for a little boost. 

Another suggestion is your titles, 

"DayZ Chronicles! Episode 1: RESCUE GONE WRONG"

then I look down the suggestion list and see these: 

c2b5c76a15006aec8d3706ffea936f4e.png

They are all very similar. Try think of some more original names, because quite frankly I tend to avoid videos named like yours.

• Like 1

They are all very similar. Try think of some more original names, because quite frankly I tend to avoid videos named like yours.

Any ideas? ;-; I kinda was running low on ideas at the time.

Starts new YT channel.

Runs out of ideas during episode 1.

Not episode one, but 7 or 8. I'm out of ideas for names because I try not to replicate but everything seems done.

If I may chime in with a name suggestion, maybe a play on the name DayZ in place of the word "days"? Like "Dark DayZ" for Dark days, but I'm sure that one's been used too.

• Like 1

In terms of commentary, you seem to have that down well enough. With DayZ commentary can be hard due to the down time between events occurring. I leave my Dxtory recording throughout the entire session, and then cut out whatever seems uneventful or whatever doesn't contribute to the build up/finale so to speak. Don't necessarily explain everything that is happening on screen. Think aloud. I naturally speak to myself sometimes, people enjoy hearing your thoughts, gives them an insight as to how you approach a situation, etc.. One great example of this, and quite obviously, is Frankie. I don't particularly like him all that much, but watch some of his older DayZ content, and you'll understand my point.

Sometimes what I tend to do is at the start and at intervals explain what is happening, the scenario, the objective, etc.. In voice overs, and then the rest if just raw gameplay, not even commentary, but just people talking, working together. Obviously that way works better with squad/group play.

With DayZ, try to aim between 10-20 minutes and upload in parts if need be. When you spawn in, be it recording or not, you always want to set yourself an objective. I've seen DayZ videos where it feels like people are aimlessly traveling around Chernarus with no purpose. 

Outside of the actual content, social media is a powerful tool in sharing your channel. Facebook and Twitter (Which you already have) are the two biggies. Google+, Tumblr, Steam, and Reddit (Especially Reddit) are also good methods. 

EDIT: By the way, in terms of names, sometimes there is no right or wrong. DayZ is one of those 'Been there, done that' type things were every video title under the sun is taken up! :P

(On a side note, if any of you visit my channel and then wonder why there ain't much there, it's because my upload is horrible! So I have a load of uploads stored away until my internet upgrade in July)

Edited by RDogg
  • Like 1

I wouldn't watch it again. Call me a terrible person but it was pretty bland imo.