Sign in to follow this  
LackofCertainty

How to deal with Barbed Wire

Hullo, my handle is LackofCertainty, and I did something silly.

I whined about Barbed Wire before I fully understood the mechanics, and I'm here to:

1. Eat some crow for whining about unremovable wires. (nom nom nom, crow is delicous)

2. Help teach others to not make my mistake.

How does a person deal with Barbed Wire?

The first thing you need to do, is locate a toolbox. Toolboxes spawn in Industrial zones which are the yellow circles on this map http://dayzdb.com/map

Don't let the percentages demoralize you too much. In practice they are decently easy to find, and they are a permanent item, so one toolbox can slay an infinite amount of fences. Also, toolboxes sit in the toolbelt, whereas fences take up normal inventory slots, so really it's less of an inconvenience to you than it is to the wire-setters.

Okay, so now you've gotten your toolbox and you're ready to go on a wire clipping rampage. The next thing you need to know, is that you need to focus on the Metal posts holding the wire in place. There are 4 of them along the length of any placed barbed wire, and those are the source of power for the barbed wire. (in other words, you target the poles to remove the wire)

Now, you might be like me at this point, standing by a pole and wiggling your crosshair back and forth trying to find the hitbox for removing the wire. Here's a pro-tip that cannot be understated. Switch into first person! I find I have the most success when I bring up the ironsights and aim at a pole.

If you don't get the popup to remove it at this point, make sure you're as tight to the barbed wire as you can be, and slowly aim up and down the length of the pole. You'll get it sooner or later. (and if you don't, move to one of the other 3 poles and try again)

Remember, only you can help prevent barbed wire mazes. :D

Great advice. I hope I find a toolbox. The only one I've found was on a corpse, and I died .5 seconds later.

they seem to be a lot more common now, looking for car parts, it seems i find a tool box in all the big industrial buildings, with the big blue doors.

This is actually one of my to-do's for a video. Steam and ARMA 2 don't mix well, hard to get to my character with the toolbox.

Excellent, thanks for the tip. I'd heard that toolboxes could be used to remove barbed wire, but didn't know to aim for the poles.

And now that I have a toolbox for the first time, I can actually try!

My very last spawn, in fact, lost his life to a fence he couldn't vault over. It was in a stairwell and the zombies caught up and broke his leg + knockout on the very first punch.

Ah, didnt know to aim for the poles as well, and i tried to vault it >.> broken leg and shock, bleeding and ko.... so insta death. But its glad to know now that its just as easy as this. Thanks

A toolbox was one of the first items my current character found. So it seems there is now a good reason to hit industrial loot spots early on.