Texboygamer

Easiest ways to take down a helicopter

These are the tested ways to take down an enemy chopper:

Edited by kichilron
Removed Sub-Begging.

Still think the best way to take down any chopper is to let me drive it.

• Like 2

Still think the best way to take down any chopper is to let me drive it.

that's probably the truth.

Hitting the pilot is by far the most effective way, not the tail rotor as you said. Any half decent pilot can counter torque themselves without the assistance of the tail, all you need to do is pick up speed. And even with a shot engine an experienced pilot can use the stored collective to stop a crash. Killing the pilot is the way to go.

Also, it's very rare to find a chopper in that state, more than one shot means that the pilot can react with evasive maneuvers (making those tricky tail and engine shots all the more difficult.)

Edited by BSB Jimmy

Hitting the pilot is by far the most effective way, not the tail rotor as you said. Any half decent pilot can counter torque themselves without the assistance of the tail, all you need to do is pick up speed. And even with a shot engine an experienced pilot can use the stored collective to stop a crash. Killing the pilot is the way to go.

Sometimes the pilot isn't facing your direction, the next best thing, Tail rotor.

Sometimes the pilot isn't facing your direction, the next best thing, Tail rotor.

Yeah it is the next best thing but it's still not ideal, even a .50 can take multiple shots. Best thing to do would be to wait or re-position, unless there were a number of you hitting it or if you had an mg

Yeah it is the next best thing but it's still not ideal, even a .50 can take multiple shots. Best thing to do would be to wait or re-position, unless there were a number of you hitting it or if you had an mg

2-3 Shots with M40A3 (Shown Above)

1-2 Shots with M107 (Also Above)

I never hover in one area for longer than 15 seconds, the amount of seconds it would take to reposition around the helicopter without being seen would be taking more of a risk than to be taking the chance of firing two quick rounds before the pilot has time to react.

2-3 Shots with M40A3 (Shown Above)

1-2 Shots with M107 (Also Above)

I never hover in one area for longer than 15 seconds, the amount of seconds it would take to reposition around the helicopter without being seen would be taking more of a risk than to be taking the chance of firing two quick rounds before the pilot has time to react.

Actually it took 4 to disable the tail with the .50 and 6 if you include misses. In that situation then yes firing just to scare them off would be the right thing to do, but standing on an airfield is not a common situation to be in. And you would only be able to hit those shots if he was hovering, making you easy prey for the gunners.

Actually it took 4 to disable the tail with the .50 and 6 if you include misses. In that situation then yes firing just to scare them off would be the right thing to do, but standing on an airfield is not a common situation to be in. And you would only be able to hit those shots if he was hovering, making you easy prey for the gunners.

I was not aiming for the tail rotor exactly, at the time not knowing if the back part would count as the rotor or not. I later realized that the back did not count, and it only took 2 actual hits to disable it.

As for prey for the gunners, I would not be standing in the middle of an airfield if there was a chopper nearby, it was just a way of showing distance, and a full range of sight.

I was not aiming for the tail rotor exactly, at the time not knowing if the back part would count as the rotor or not. I later realized that the back did not count, and it only took 2 actual hits to disable it.

That tiny difference is why I suggest going for the pilot, if the heli moves a tiny fraction or your range is slightly off you can mess up the engagement and do nothing but reveal you position. Which could get you killed if they have people on the ground.

As for prey for the gunners, I would not be standing in the middle of an airfield if there was a chopper nearby, it was just a way of showing distance, and a full range of sight.

If you were not in the open then you could re-position with less of a risk of being spotted.

If you're an experienced pilot, unlike the incompetent AI, then when your tail rotor is shot out it's the easiest thing to recover from. Speed is your friend.

A ruined tail rotor won't stop you from flying.