Sign in to follow this  
dantoramandova

Takistan & Arma III... For Science!

NOTE: This is on the assumption that DayZ will be for Arma III.

Arma III is going to feature a mediterranean environment for the player, removing many of the forests of Chernarus and replacing them with more open battle grounds.

Forests in DayZ are generally considered to be safe zones for players, allowing users to traverse long distance with relative ease and safety. With the massive decrease of forests in Arma III's maps, battles will be much more frequent and will occur at longer distances. Snipers and long ranged rifles will rule the land with ruthless accuracy.

In order to prepare for the change of location, a developer should use a map that will is already very similar to Arma III's, Takistan, for testing purposes. This is to help provide valuable insight to how DayZ will work with more open environents. I'm suggesting for DayZ to convert from Chernarus to Takistan to give players more varied gameplay and provide our amazing developers with essential information on how the core mechanics of DayZ will react with a different location.

A smaller playing field featuring funneling canyons and sparse forests will obviously favor more long ranged weapons, but with tightly clustered towns and villages with EVERY building enterable, close urban engagements will be very common aswell. (I think...) Water will be all the more valuable with survivors dipping at open water holes like unsuspecting zebras to be shot dead by a desperate bandit.

I hope Takistan can one day be implemented into DayZ, not only for the fun of enjoying a new environment, but the valuable information it can give to our developers.

I love your beans,

Diet Taco

Mediterranian islands have massive boulders litterring them, these provide ample coverage

not to mention Limnos will be 800 square kilometers, rather than Chernarus' 250 square kilometers

Forests are repetitive and boring, they make traversing the land far less interesting.

Mediterranian islands have massive boulders litterring them' date=' these provide ample coverage

not to mention Limnos will be 800 square kilometers, rather than Chernarus' 250 square kilometers

Forests are repetitive and boring, they make traversing the land far less interesting.

[/quote']

I don't know...I kinda like the forests. Obscures views, provides cover, good immersion.

I'll miss 'em.

not to mention Limnos will be 800 square kilometers' date=' rather than Chernarus' 250 square kilometers[/quote']

Source? I remember reading somewhere that Limnos will only be 270 square km...

In my opinion, Chernarus hugely responsible for the success of DayZ. Perhaps more than any other aspect. It's just such a perfect map / setting for a zombie survival game.

I just can't imagine DayZ being anywhere near as good in a different setting... especially a Mediterranean setting.

I'd prefer a zombie apocalypse game to take place in a first world country like limnos (chernarus is in 2nd world at best).

Limnos will have suburbs, hotels, etc...

Chernarus just has farms, factories and post-soviet industrial cities. gets pretty boring after a while.

limnosvschern.png

Rocket has said DayZ will be based on Arma 2 (with Arma 3 elements, like lighting) when it becomes a real boy a couple of times now.

I'm not sure how

Snipers and long ranged rifles will rule the land with ruthless accuracy.

would

give players more varied gameplay