Sign in to follow this  
murhis

New ammunition and magazine idea

Perhaps there's some similar suggestions around, but I will shoot mine as well. Basically the idea came from the practical situation when you have a weapon like FN FAL and you are all out of ammo, but you have as example still plenty of DMR mags available. Which contains exactly the same bullets as FN FAL using, in other words 7.62 NATO rounds. I know there's currently some sort of engine limitations with different mags. But what if you would be able to refill them with a bulk ammunition, like you are refilling the water bottles from a water source? So basically instead of having just clips available you could find ammunition boxes for refilling. Like 9x19mm Parabellum, 5.56mm NATO, 7.62x39mm, etc.

Here is a little illustration about my idea:

Illustration

ammo1.jpg

1. Full clip

2. Empty clip (Edit: Clips wont disappear after they are spend)

3. Ammunition box

Ammunition boxes size should be bigger than 1 slot ofcourse. Perhaps some 200 rounds rifle caliber boxes could take 4 slots and pistol caliber 1 to 2.

Refilling

ammo2.jpg

Refilling should work the other way as well, so you could empty magazines to ammoboxes. Which would be very convenient for refilling your ammo supply from other unusable magazines.

Thoughts, ideas?

I very much like this idea. Would allow ammo to some of the rarer guns. Makes reloading easy, and keeping track of ammo painless. Would be handy to find out how many rounds are in an ammo box though. +1.

If you are going to have something like this then you should also have to re-use your empty magazines.

I.e. You pick up a FAL with 2 magazines, and the box of ammo your are proposing. You fire off the first whole magazine and reload with the second one. Instead of "throwing away" the empty magazine like you currently do, you keep the empty in your inventory. Now when you use the ammo box you can only "re-fill" empty magazines that you actually have (no magically making extra magazines appear from no where).

If you are going to have something like this then you should also have to re-use your empty magazines.

I.e. You pick up a FAL with 2 magazines' date=' and the box of ammo your are proposing. You fire off the first whole magazine and reload with the second one. Instead of "throwing away" the empty magazine like you currently do, you keep the empty in your inventory. Now when you use the ammo box you can only "re-fill" empty magazines that you actually have (no magically making extra magazines appear from no where).

[/quote']

That is exactly what I was after(see 2. on that gear menu, that little bar green/red bar). So ammoboxes and magazines would be completely different entities. They could work exactly like water bottles. So they could be found empty or full.

I like this suggestion. It could be annoying to implement, but it's definitely more realistic than, for example, the PDW accepting every 9mm magazine in the game.

Didnt even make the connection to water bottles. I like it.

I know when I start a new character that I tend to pick up ammo for several different types of weapons until I come across an actual weapon (or hold onto ammo for good weapons in the hope that I find them), and this would help lower some of the inventory concerns involved in that.

I agree.

Also you should be able to refill magazines from other magazines(like moving bullets from one half empty magazine to other half full). Or moving ammo from DMR magizine to FN FAL magazine.

+1

I had the SAME idea last night... if possible, it should be implemented.

But it should take SEVERAL time to reload the magazine...

I agree.

Also you should be able to refill magazines from other magazines(like moving bullets from one half empty magazine to other half full). Or moving ammo from DMR magizine to FN FAL magazine.

I hope that too. +1

+1 to this idea,

I think that the ammo boxes should be rare items and only be able to contain one bullet type per box. Though I imagine having multiple boxes with different ammo types would be much harder to implement as it introduces multiple variables.

Should be more like in Fallout 3 - more important is how much bullets you have, which you combine in maximum number of full magazines + one extra with the rest of bullets.

Rocket will work it out, just that arma engine sucks

Should be more like in Fallout 3 - more important is how much bullets you have' date=' which you combine in maximum number of full magazines + one extra with the rest of bullets.

[/quote']

Perhaps that would be easier solution as technically. But personally I would like to see some own value for the spare magazines. Like it's surely more convenient to reload the new magazine than starting to refill the old one. Especially when a pack of zombies approaching you. :)

magazines stacking to 2 or 3 could also help alleviate some inventory space too but not really needed if something like that was implemented.

we already had some ideas like these. even before the ammo counter bar was deployed.

it's a good idea indeed, but have some side effects that people have to think about.

if this works this way, there should be a supposed way to spawn spread bullets instead of a filled mag.

You would find 17 stanag bullets inside a fire station, not a fully mag. mags would be much rarer to find. If I only find filled mags, the ammo box is pretty useless. (ok, it takes less space, but the time it would take to refill a magazine, then to reload a weapon would be a pain)

If you find those bullets and you don't have a 5.56 ammo box, what should happen? Would you stock the bullets in your inv? How many per stack?

This isn't really a "new" idea, its been stated before in a few other threads regarding magazine and ammunition dynamics in this game.

I don't think that 4 slots is enough for an ammo box, especially if its gonna carry its RL carrying capacity for rounds (have you ever carried one filled with 5.56 Ammo? I have, and its freaking heavy. One of these ammo cans should take up a fair amount of space, say 8 slots. Doesnt matter what type of ammo is in it, just so long as people cant carry 2 cans of 2000 rounds around without having some kind of detriment.

I also think that ammo boxes should be carried in the backpack slot.

They could handle all kind of bullets, but limited at all.

If you find those bullets and you don't have a 5.56 ammo box' date=' what should happen? Would you stock the bullets in your inv? How many per stack?

[/quote']

That's a very good point. I think in a sake of a gameplay and keeping the interface simple and clear it would be easier to have ammoboxes as "non physical objects". So basically it would be just an icon in the gear menu for a certain type of bulk ammunition. Like 100 x 9 mm, 50 x 5.56mm per 1 slot and so on.

I don't think that 4 slots is enough for an ammo box' date=' especially if its gonna carry its RL carrying capacity for rounds (have you ever carried one filled with 5.56 Ammo? I have, and its freaking heavy. One of these ammo cans should take up a fair amount of space, say 8 slots. Doesnt matter what type of ammo is in it, just so long as people cant carry 2 cans of 2000 rounds around without having some kind of detriment.

[/quote']

That was just an example... I didn't said they should be exactly 4 slots or 2 slots or whatsoever. The point was to solve this "interchangeable magazine" problem we have, so the numbers and small details are rather unimportant. Besides nitpicking about how heavy 5.56 mm ammo box is rather stupid when we are able to carry helicopter rotors and engine blocks in our backbags.