Sign in to follow this  
Kashus

Switch to axe, without using the bag space in the backpack??

The axe pretty much becomes a wood gathering tool once I get a rifle or main weapon. If I do not have an upgraded backpack, then I can't put the rifle into my packback (not enough slots) and switch to the axe when needed.

There are times when I would really like to switch to the axe, but then I would have to drop my main to use it.

Is there a possibility of a solution to this?

Time. Rocket wants to make his own Inventory system, and it's likely that he will add a melee slot when he does. Not definite, but there's a possibility, especially with how much the community wants and supports the idea of it.

Axe would be unbalanced if it didn't take the primary slot. This forces you to choose between the convenience of using an axe and the convenience of backpack space.

+1 to this with the added suggestion of also doing the same thing for the sidearm slot and flashlight. As the PDM for my group I have yet to find a rifle with a flashlight on it while all my friends are running around with M4's and Remingtons with flashlights attached. haha.

Axe would be unbalanced if it didn't take the primary slot. This forces you to choose between the convenience of using an axe and the convenience of backpack space.

I am confused as to how that would be unbalanced...

I am confused as to how that would be unbalanced...

it is to big to go as a secondary weapon. there is a reason why secondary weapons are always small and handy, hence handguns.

a knife should fit in the secondary slot, and i will bet we get to see this implemented later on.

drop something unimportant, drop primary gun on the loot, remove axe from toolbelt, toggle weapon and reload. if you get used to it, it only takes a few clicks and a few seconds to do.

It's already a one hit kill on zombies, silent, takes no space when not being used. If it didn't take the primary slot it would be way more useful than it should be. There would be no trade off, you aren't giving anything up to use it.

It's already a one hit kill on zombies' date=' silent, takes no space when not being used. If it didn't take the primary slot it would be way more useful than it should be. There would be no trade off, you aren't giving anything up to use it.

[/quote']

Except range. I regularly get my legs broken when using the axe. I personally don't use the axe at all once I have a gun because I don't like to crawl through the woods for 4 hours, just to get shot outside of a hospital

The game's not supposed to be balanced, per se.

Considering that the axe is already on your toolbelt, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to sling a long gun and take out the axe. Probably the quickest way to do this is to allow melee weapons to occupy either the primary or secondary slot.

Also, the hatchet in-game is not much larger than a handgun, and it's pretty easy to improvise a holster for a hatchet.

Hm...unbalanced may not be the term I'm looking for. Overpowered for no reason? Doesn't force you to make a tough decision? Way too useful? I don't know.

Except range.

The range is longer than the zeds' attack.

The game's not supposed to be balanced' date=' per se.

Considering that the axe is already on your toolbelt, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to sling a long gun and take out the axe. Probably the quickest way to do this is to allow melee weapons to occupy either the primary or secondary slot.

Also, the hatchet in-game is not much larger than a handgun, and it's pretty easy to improvise a holster for a hatchet.

[/quote']

Exactly this. You can holster your sidearm and sling your rifle, there's no reason you couldn't take a hatchet off your belt and use it.

When I say balanced I mean something else...

For something that is this utilitous it makes sense, based on the "balance" of the mod, that you should have to give something up. If it is not a hard choice it shouldn't be so useful.

If that means something the size of an axe as we see in the game is a primary slot item, I'll gladly make the choice. But, if it becomes a secondary or (hopefully not) a melee slot item, you will no longer have to make that choice. It would be more realistic, in the same way that I should be able to hold a flare away from my face to see better while carrying it. You can't in this mod by design. It is a choice you have to make.

+1 to "Switch to axe, without using the bag space in the backpack?

The axe being the only real melee weapon in the game and the only real silent way to kill a zombie, it should be easier to use. I hope eventually a melee side arm slot is added, similar to what we have for pistols.

I think this works for the sake of realism and tactics. In a real world scenario a survivor could very truly carry a hatchet or machete that they could pull out for a silent kill, slinging they're rifle vs putting it in their pack.

When I say balanced I mean something else...

For something that is this utilitous it makes sense' date=' based on the "balance" of the mod, that you should have to give something up. If it is not a hard choice it shouldn't be so useful.

If that means something the size of an axe as we see in the game is a primary slot item, I'll gladly make the choice. But, if it becomes a secondary or (hopefully not) a melee slot item, you will no longer have to make that choice. It would be more realistic, in the same way that I should be able to hold a flare away from my face to see better while carrying it. You can't in this mod by design. It is a choice you have to make.

[/quote']

I get what you're saying about balance, but we're only speculating that Rocket intentionally wants to force that choice. Right now it exists only due to the inventory system. My feeling is that, if being able to equip a hatchet without throwing away a ranged weapon makes the game too easy, make it harder in a different way. More zombies, tougher zombies, zombies aggro faster, whatever. Rocket is going to for believability here, so I'd rather see balancing change to enable that rather than placing arbitrary restrictions on the player.