rokaraged

I really don't get this "pking guilt" that a lot of players talk about.

No, i'm not an active bandit and please read through all of this before having a knee jerk response.

I generally prefer to team up with random people online around the coast, even if I'm fully geared and at high risk of being backstabbed or sniped. I find trying to make social connections with the high risk to be much more rewarding than just random senseless murder. I find going up to your potential murderer and trying to talk him down or even turning him into an ally is a lot more dynamic than any game element I've played ever.

But I will shoot other players in self defense, or even sometimes just for the hell of it. Shooting to kill even without being provoked doesn't bother me. I feel more rewarded more than anything else by being able to gain substantial loot. Maybe I need his food because I haven't been so lucky hunting. Maybe I just wanted his shiny gun. However I don't really feel attached to my loot. I've lost countless hours of work to one lucky sniper bullet. But I never rage (too hard.) I just shrug it off and continue playing.

I just don't really comprehend get why other people just feel so offended when their shot. I don't understand why others feel so guilty about gunning down another survivor. Yes you maybe taking away hours of progress, but its a game/simulator. These are virtual items. Everything you had can be regained.

Edit: Keep this discussion civil everyone. I feel like I might be opening a huge can o worms.

because the rest of us have souls, you gingerfuck

just kidding, but really i feel bad because i'm a good person. i know what it's like to be gunned down and even though i too just shrug it off, it's not something i enjoy purposefully inflicting on someone. i'll gun a bitch down in self defense, my friends and I did that to two separate groups just last night, but we also murdered a scared and isolated explorer. i took the shot that killed him and I feel bad because he wasn't hurting anyone, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

i just give more of a shit about other people and their enjoyment of a great game. it's probably a reflection of what i wish more people would consider before murdering me. i'm not a selfish and uncaring person.

you're right that it's just a game and that all the items can be found again, that's what stops me from raging when it happens to me, but that's not the reason behind the guilt. it's the act of ending someone's story. ending that virtual life and reducing someone to a defenseless newspawn. there is more to games than just items and scores and some of us vibrate on the same frequency that is surrounding us, it's what completely immerses us into the game. maybe you don't feel the same as i do about the game, but i get really, really into it and it's been a long time since a game has been able to do that for me.

so whenever i kill someone that didn't need to die, i feel bad because they just wanted to play the game but the bright side is that i introduced to them the dark side of this game if they hadn't already experienced it. i gave them something to learn from and never do again. the guy i killed will know to watch his back more often and to crouch walk more and stay hidden in electro

note: i know my opening statement conflicts with my reasoning below it but, eh. whatever

while i do think feeling guilt over video game actions is a silly thing, it is a testament to how this game is so immersive to some people that the lines between real and virtual morality blur a bit for them

There is no such thing as a bandit. We're all survivors in this game. Sometimes, to survive, you have to kill other survivors. Sometimes, your best means of survival is by killing all the other survivors.

I keep hearing all these complaints about bandit groups just killing people and not really playing the game right. But how can that be? It seems to me that this game is all about survival, and THEY are the ones surviving the best.

Just because they're not surviving in the way YOU would like to survive, doesn't mean they're doing it wrong. They seem to be doing it very right, actually. You're the ones doing it very wrong.

To sum up, do what it takes to survive. For some people, what it takes means killing anyone you see and taking what they have. For others, what it takes means forming partnerships and alliances to help one another. For me, it means supreme stealth and killing people when my zone of safety has been breached.

because the rest of us have souls' date=' you gingerfuck

[/quote']

TROLOLOL

I am an absolute asshole/bandit in game. If I see anyone, they die or I die - those are the only options. The only time I felt bad FOR A MILLIONTH OF A SECOND was in Cherno. I went into the grocery store and this guy just picked up a Winchester and was going ape shit over it with voice chat. I stood outside of the store listening to him freak out and I said out loud "All good things come to an end you giddy little shit" and then I went into the store. He laid on the ground and crawled, slowly, behind a shelf in the middle of the main room screaming "OMG PLEASE DONT KILL ME NOOOO!" I started laughing hysterically thinking, "Is this guy serious? He's crawling behind a shelf and begging me not to kill him when he knows i'm going to and not even trying to shoot". So I shot him in the face and TROLOLOL'd all the way back to assholeville.

i dont have a problem being shot by bandits or anything. I know im gonna die and loose all my stuff. What i do have a problem is with the people that are on the mic saying they are friendly or that they need help or what not just for you to go to them and then they shoot you. If your gonna murder me then do it, dont lie to me and act all friendly or in trouble then shoot when someone comes to help. Its pretty much made me shoot on site of seeing anyone

There is no such thing as a bandit. We're all survivors in this game. Sometimes' date=' to survive, you have to kill other survivors. Sometimes, your best means of survival is by killing all the other survivors.

I keep hearing all these complaints about bandit groups just killing people and not really playing the game right. But how can that be? It seems to me that this game is all about survival, and THEY are the ones surviving the best.

Just because they're not surviving in the way YOU would like to survive, doesn't mean they're doing it wrong. They seem to be doing it very right, actually. You're the ones doing it very wrong.

To sum up, do what it takes to survive. For some people, what it takes means killing anyone you see and taking what they have. For others, what it takes means forming partnerships and alliances to help one another. For me, it means supreme stealth and killing people when my zone of safety has been breached.

[/quote']

how does killing freshspawns help you live longer? seems like a waste of ammo that could be used on a boar or cow.

'XXXXXX was killed' after you shoot someone isn't enough? do you really want your name advertised to the entire server?

it's not that it's a bad suggestion, but with the state of hacking right now i don't think you'd want to expose yourself as the killer when the guy you just killed (or someone else on the server) might be a giant vindictive prick that can instantly hack your life away

There is no such thing as a bandit. We're all survivors in this game. Sometimes' date=' to survive, you have to kill other survivors. Sometimes, your best means of survival is by killing all the other survivors.

[/quote']

how does killing freshspawns help you live longer? seems like a waste of ammo that could be used on a boar or cow.

Because that fresh spawn has bandages and painkillers. That fresh spawn might just find a gun later and turn right around and kill you.

I've led a freshie toward a safe loot area just to have him pick up a hatchet and kill me for my stuff.

There was a forum post a week or so ago about a guy that tried to take a freshie under his wing, but then got killed the moment he gave the freshie a gun.

Fresh spawned characters have nothing to lose and everything to gain by killing you. Seems to me that I would make a fresh spawn a priority one target.