Sign in to follow this  
monolith1985

lower FPS than normal - community troubleshooting?

dayz mod:

So ive noticed a few people posting around the place about getting low fps on the mod, while this is common im seeing a trend in people like myself that used to get better frames, but somehow don't now, so hopefully this can bring the posts together and people can share troubleshooting steps, possible causes and maybe a solution

so for me ive tried:

running different mods, aswell as different servers, as well as vanilla 

changing graphics settings from high to very low, and up to very high, FPS barely changed a single number with these variations.

defragging the arma folder. 

check the computer isnt running anything it shouldnt (resource heavy programs, ran virus and spyware checks)

and probably more i forgot, so what has everyone else tried?

also, ive been playing 2 years, and have installed and removed many dayz mods, aswell as a couple of life mods.  anyone else had a lot of mods installed?

another thing i noticed last night is i was with a group of about 8 people, and that seemed to cut the frames down in half (10ish to dropping as low as 4)

so anyone having similar problems, reply with something similar, what youve tried, anything in particular you noticed...

Hey Mono

I experienced exactly the same as you. It made my game unplayable by far. Then, playing another game I noticed lagging in the menu and thought to myself my PC should be able to handle this perfectly. I then adjusted the resolution to my monitors native resolution (1920x1080) and the other game instantly improved menu-wise. I tried doing the same to Day Z drasticly improving both graphical display and framerate. Give it a shot if you're in a lower resolution.

Playing on a laptop. Asus NJ750 or something,

GT 750 M
16 GB DDR3
Core i7 4700HQ @2.4GHz

No SSD

Win 8.1

Using two 24" as extern monitors and shutting off the laptop display....

Anyways, hope this can help!

Cheers

Edited by gqren
  • Like 1

dayz mod:

So ive noticed a few people posting around the place about getting low fps on the mod, while this is common im seeing a trend in people like myself that used to get better frames, but somehow don't now, so hopefully this can bring the posts together and people can share troubleshooting steps, possible causes and maybe a solution

so for me ive tried:

running different mods, aswell as different servers, as well as vanilla 

changing graphics settings from high to very low, and up to very high, FPS barely changed a single number with these variations.

defragging the arma folder. 

check the computer isnt running anything it shouldnt (resource heavy programs, ran virus and spyware checks)

and probably more i forgot, so what has everyone else tried?

also, ive been playing 2 years, and have installed and removed many dayz mods, aswell as a couple of life mods.  anyone else had a lot of mods installed?

another thing i noticed last night is i was with a group of about 8 people, and that seemed to cut the frames down in half (10ish to dropping as low as 4)

so anyone having similar problems, reply with something similar, what youve tried, anything in particular you noticed...

Hey Mono

I experienced exactly the same as you. It made my game unplayable by far. Then, playing another game I noticed lagging in the menu and thought to myself my PC should be able to handle this perfectly. I then adjusted the resolution to my monitors native resolution (1920x1080) and the other game instantly improved menu-wise. I tried doing the same to Day Z drasticly improving both graphical display and framerate. Give it a shot if you're in a lower resolution.

Playing on a laptop. Asus NJ750 or something,

GT 750 M

16 GB DDR3

Core i7 4700HQ @2.4GHz

No SSD

Win 8.1

Using two 24" as extern monitors and shutting off the laptop display....

Anyways, hope this can help!

Cheers

http://dayzintel.com/dayz-standalone/dayz-standalone-performance-guide

view distance is default 3000, you can lower it to something more reasonable like 1500-1700.  I gained about 15-20 fps from this.

Edited by aimbot.eXe

thanks max for moving this to the right place

for my graphics settings, as mentioned above, i could max it out, or turn it to very low with all the extras turned off, and it wouldnt make a difference, maybe a single frame at best

il try the monitor resolution, one thing i did notice is that the 3d and interface resolution keeps resetting, to a different resolution, and 1 at 100% (which is differnt from the monitor resolution) and one at 88%, also my anti aliasing keeps going back on

i did edit my cfg a long time ago, and made it read only, since then ive took off the read only mode so i can change it, yet it still resets...

and my view distance has always been the same, used to manage well on 3000, now have it at 1500